Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: No Rain In His Face  (Read 1543 times)

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
No Rain In His Face
« on: September 20, 2012, 12:11:33 PM »
I have a 9' pyramid tent which is easy for me to set up with my crippled wrists. However, it needs a rain fly. Rev has posted an option on another thread utilizing a ridge pole and lift pole set up. The obvious reason for a fly is the angled door/wall of a pyramid tent. Untie the door in the morning and ya got it, Rain In His Face. As well as soggy mocassins at the door. How did NA lodges deal with this? I have seen smoke hole covers for the top of the lodge, but no mention of door protection.  There are tie loops above the door of my tent, but as Rev says, makes a good funnel. Will be setting up on a windy meadow tomorow and there is rain forecast for Saturday. I am teaching BP at this years Youth Field Day again, of course the rain will be Sat. Guess I will set my tent Nor Nor East to keep some of the rain out. But If anyone has an idea, I do have a 8x10 painters tarp I could use.  :)
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline Rev

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.sheasmtn.com
Re: No Rain In His Face
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 12:30:18 PM »
This is the post referred to...

Quote from: "Sir Michael"
The Awning on my Marquee is attached by two grommets that go over the pins on each end of the ridge.

Most pyramid tents I've seen have a flap over the door with loops or ties to attach an awning.  If you don't have this and the pole has a pin on it that protrudes through the top of the tent you can attach a triangular awning from it.  Otherwise you are stuck with positioning a stand alone fly like the one I have for my kitchen/dinning room as close as you can to the front of the tent with one ridge upright to the right or left of the door.  At least that would be my approach.

The only effective fly I have found for a pyramid is the following (excuse my lack of artistic ability)...

Using a two pole setup, tie the ridge pole into the "V" over the tent & extend it out to the upright in front. The ridge pole needs to be about 12' ling, so a 10' fly sets about 2' forward of the tent itself, still covering the doorway & giving about 6' of covered usable space in front of the door. My fly is 10' x 16', the sides come down far enough to give good weather protection. You will have to tie in a "marble" at the front peak to tie the fly to the upright in order to keep the upright where you want it. If you are not sure what I am tolking about, feel free to contact me.

All other flys that tie into the door act like a funnel to channel rainwater directly into your lodge, due to the front of the fly being higher than where it ties into the door. Also makes a dandy canvas bucket to hold hundreds of pounds of water, at least temporarily.  :lol sign  I have seen many folks pack up and go home from using that sort of fly in a rainstorm...
Remember, without the 2nd Amendment, the Constitution is only a recommendation...
Arizona TMA State Representative
Member in good standing of the The Honourable Company of Horners.
http://www.sheasmtn.com

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 07:16:15 AM »
How did NA lodges deal with this?
by not leaving the door open when it was raining . also by closing the liner up . so even if the door blew open , nothing would come in . this left only  what i call the weather spot .. picture  the sun shinning down a tipi  smoke hole . thats the  same spot rain and snow will fall if the smoke flaps are wide open .
to stop that you lay the flaps  to the side , with one above the other .  your fire still drafts and the  bonnet  is closed up tight . so very little gets in .
For the pyramid , I have seen  awnings done a couple ways .
 One  way is with poles . Eater like Rev showed  OR if your using the single pole  setup  there is normally a hole in the upper part of the pole and a matching sock  for the pole to come through the canvas .

The other way I have seen is to use ropes . So picture Revs  drawing . But with a rope coming off the main support “ that  takes the place of the ridge  pole “ , out to a single pole . That pole leans out alittle and then has a double rope tie down .. Canvas  goes over the rope .

One of the ladies the vooos with our group also  has a pyramid . But  her awning ties    onto the main tent  . Standing height above the door . Basically its a 6X8 canvas  with ties sewn around the edge
 The side that  ties to the pyramid , is staked . The from has 2 poles , very much like used on a Whalen.
 When the weather gets real bad , she leans the poles down   thus creating a lean-to , facing the door of her Pyramid

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 07:24:14 AM »
I have a 10??X10 the I cut and sewd a 2X4 hole that a 2X4 can go through and attatch to the center pole with a hook and ring. it then goes out @ 20' to another upright. Both end's are @ 8'high. Mine works GREAT!

I have an appointment now,I have to re-size the pic's. I'll post later.
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 07:59:19 AM »
[attachment=0:2hvnwcsh][/attachment]Image09222012072713.jpg[/attachment:2hvnwcsh] Here is how I like to set it up, two poles outside. I could use a rope from the poles to a lift pole guyed out. The rope would hae to be staked on the back side so it wouldn't pull poles down.Thanks for the ideas.
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline Rev

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.sheasmtn.com
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 11:25:27 AM »
Quote from: "Captchee"

The other way I have seen is to use ropes . So picture Revs  drawing . But with a rope coming off the main support “ that  takes the place of the ridge  pole “ , out to a single pole . That pole leans out alittle and then has a double rope tie down .. Canvas  goes over the rope .

If you are going to use the rope method, I recommend using a rope long enough to go over & around the crossed poles, then down the center of the back side, where it is staked to the ground about a foot or two from the canvas (or more). The canvas puts additional strain on the uprights without the pole to take up the weight. Not a bad idea to add the "hurricane rope" even if you have a ridge pole, in high winds that fly makes a dandy sail...

My fly is 10' x 16', those 8' sides coming off the ridge pole bring the fly closer to the ground, reducing the winds effect...
Remember, without the 2nd Amendment, the Constitution is only a recommendation...
Arizona TMA State Representative
Member in good standing of the The Honourable Company of Horners.
http://www.sheasmtn.com