Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: M&H .45 Rifle  (Read 1685 times)

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: M&H .45 Rifle
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2016, 05:42:01 AM »
Laurel Mountain Forge stain (Lancaster maple) and rubbed in clear coats (Permalyn).  But it sure helps to start off with good wood grain!

As I always do these dayze for finishing stock wood ...

After sanding down the wood with grits from 120 to 320, I buff out with 0000 steel wool.  Then I go over the wood with naphtha (lighter fluid) on paper towels to clear off any oil left from the wooling (all steel wool is oiled to prevent rusting), then I use a magnet to pick up any stray wool hairs, then another buffing with a dry paper towel.  

Now I stain the wood, using large round cotton rifle patches in surgical gloved hands.  I put stiff copper wire through the lock bolt holes and use it as a hanger of sorts to allow the stain (or clear coats) to cure, hung up off a ceiling stud in my shop - it balances just right, too.

Next up, I put the stock into a padded vise and wick in water thin CYA (Hot Stuff brand - any good quality hobby/medical grade CYA is a must) into the barrel channel and lock mortise areas, spread quickly with a pieces of paper towel.  Since this is a po' boy rifle that has no forestock cap nor butt plate, I wick the CYA into those end grain areas as well - really toughens 'em up. This both seals and hardens the wood in areas that don't see much daylight and are magnets for black powder fouling.  CYA (CYAnoacrylate "super glue") vapors are Nasty, specially when using the stuff in large quantity applications, so I wear a respirator mask during the wicking in process.

Then the rubbed in clear coats, three total, using the copper wire to hang up the stock during the finish curing.

Offline RonC

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 741
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »
Thank you, rfd! That is a great description that I will save.
The results are a testimony to the success of your process.

And I thought CYA was Cover Your A$$. :lol:
Ron

Offline Caddo

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 08:31:56 AM »
She's a looker for sure.  :hairy
"Make sure your right then go ahead"

Member #533
Expires 01/28/2013

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 04:13:30 PM »
Yeah, that rifle sure does look like an old barnyard beater of a rifle...NOT!.  Eye candy.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 05:18:06 PM »
well, i think both keb and i didn't think the grain would pop the way it did, but it DID.  :)

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2016, 03:59:29 PM »
she shoots reliably and accurately!  that second shot center punched a 1 liter water filled plastic bottle at a tad over 25 yards