Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

things I learned this w/e

(1/3) > >>

KDubs:
 so 1st "Vous of the year and I decided for some asinine reason that i was only going to take my fowler to shoot. no other long guns.
  I really haven't shot this gun much due mainly to the wallop it brings, even with lighter loads.  but I was determined to learn to shoot this baby.

20ga flinter ( you've seen the pics) with 100gr 2f leather OP card,  .600 ball,  cut wool blanket wad.   also tried it same load but bare ball and PRB, no real difference in the kick.

started the day with a 19 target trail walk, miss miss miss, hit, miss miss and so on. hit 3 total and the reason is that as I continued the shooting my right cheek began to hurt and by the end of the walk it was guite sore .  suck it up, all part of the fun.

shortly after a group of us headed out to the fort shoot, My first time doing that, and desperately wishing I had brought ginger along for the fight. by the end of that shoot ( 20 + shots) I couldn't even cheek my Fowler but held my face off the stock to fire. not to accurate.

That evening my cheek was swollen, hot and had a slight bruise, couldn't even shoot yesterday. 

So the lessons I learned were sell my Fowler  :D, never leave ginger at home and If it hurts after a while maybe I should stop that particular activity for the day.

It's all good now, face is feeling better, now to try and figure out why that damn 20ga kicks so bad. It is heavy gun I think.
 I fondled a few smoothies while there and the one thing I noticed were they were all maybe 6-7# and all have thin wall thickness in the barrels ,really thin.
 mine by the eyeball is an 1/8" at least, seems thick , I'll measure it.  this is a straight Bbl too, not swamped.  maybe I should weigh the whole gun just to see, but I wonder if the whole mass of the gun contributes to the beating I'm taking.

I don't know.

kevin.

PetahW:

--- Quote from: KDubs on April 14, 2024, 11:49:55 AM ---
  never leave ginger at home 

--- End quote ---

Yep - dance with who brung ya........   :bigsmile:

Nessmuk:
Hard Lesson I learned recently. If you don't learn to love in six months, sell it! Gun Safe time will not improve it. Concentrate on the guns you do love. I recently cut down my herd from 16 Rifles and 12 pistols to 6 rifles and 6 pistols (CapLock and Flintlock, .32 .40 and .50 Cal)  No regrets.

Winter Hawk:
The heavier gun should recoil LESS than a light one, all else being equal.  100 grains of powder seems like a rather hefty charge to me.  Also, that 20 gauge ball is a lot heavier than a smaller one; pushing it out of the barrel will result in more push against your shoulder.  And then there is stock design; some are going to kick you right in the teeth, while others are a delight to shoot.  Check with Mr. Smoke about shooting large, heavy projectiles with large powder charges, as he did/does it for pure fun!

No Powder:
Well Kevin if it makes you feel any better, shot my postals today with my latest acquisition. TC 50 Hawken. No, I don't have a sore cheek, but we didn't get along at all today. Targets showing room for improvement, and dealt with other frustrating things. If what Mark said is true, this gun would be the first to go. But, me of little patience, will work will her some more. ( Notice I did call it a her).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version