Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

things I learned this w/e

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bigsmoke:

--- Quote from: Winter Hawk on April 15, 2024, 02:28:23 PM ---Check with Mr. Smoke about shooting large, heavy projectiles with large powder charges, as he did/does it for pure fun!

--- End quote ---

Yessir, that I did.  There is just something indescribable about touching off 400 grains of Fg pushing a 1,450 grain round ball out the barrel.  Did it hurt?  Nah, not really.  Did it kick?  Well, hell yes.  But no worse than getting punched in the shoulder by a fair sized man.  Did I do it again?  Well, of course.  Actually, that four bore kicked less and hurt less than a T/C Renegade I converted to a .62 caliber rifle.  That was brutal.  As a .54 rifle with a 100 grain charge it was not a big deal.  But going up to the .62 with a 310 grain ball and 200 grains of Ffg - totally different story.  I believe the real difference was the stock design, way too straight to handle recoil efficiently.

As far as shooting big guns go, I kind of liken it to the difference between driving a Yugo to the corner store and driving a Corvette there also.  They both get you there, but the Vette is a heck of a lot more fun.  And the big guns are a lot more fun to shoot, although it does take a bit longer for the smoke to clear.  Hint:  My moniker was fairly come by - Big Smoke, think about it.

Kevin,
My opinion on your rifle is that your stock is too straight and you are shooting a heavier charge than you need.  Obviously, I have not shot your smoothbore, but from what you have said, that's what I hear.

John (Bigsmoke)

KDubs:
Thanks for the replies.
 Not having much experience with the fowlers I based my load etc on mike beliveau videos= 100+ gr for the SB
 I definitely feel the stock or cheek n comb specifically is if poor design.
 Thick n wide  with more of a peak in the comb rather rounded over
 Maybe something like I can work on.
 Also I found that not having a rear sight causes me to really mush my face into the gun so as to sight down the barrel ( IE shotgunning)
Probably a mistake I'm sure.
 I'll be shooting my postals this weekend with my TC . :bigsmile:
Kevin

No Powder:
Nice to see someone else besides me using TC's. Especially for the postals.

KDubs:
It's really my best shootin iron.
 I should sell my other 2 flinters  :lol sign
Kevin

Hanshi:
Kevin, I probably couldn't really help you with the problem so I'll just kinda "outline" what I do with mine.  My smoothbore is 8-lbs & 1-oz, a 20ga with a 38" barrel.  The barrel is fairly thick and not the kind of tube you find on those 6-1/2 lb upland bird guns.  It loves a patched (.012" + or -) .600" ball and anywhere from 60 to 75 grains of 3F.  I've tried loads up to 100 grains of 2F and 90 grains of 3F but none did any better.

Firing 3-shot groups over a period of a few weeks at 50 yards, it let me know I had it down pretty well.  The average group size was right at 2-3/4 " (2.75").  Bare ball was good but not AS good.  Mine has a rear sight which made it easier to shoot groups.
Left target is with my bare ball load.  On the right is the patched ball load. 2-3/4" bare ball & 1-3/4" prb.

The load that got this doe was either 70 grns or 75 grns of 3F, can't recall which one. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version