Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Roy Southgate  (Read 521 times)

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 262
Roy Southgate
« on: March 21, 2011, 06:20:55 PM »
Around February 2010, disremember which thread, there was some discussion about rifles & pistols made by Royland Southgate of Tennessee. My interest was sparked by a pistol for sale here, which I decided not to get but that spark has been a-smoldering & I regret passing it up. I'd like to put together a little paper on Southgate, just fer, and wonder if any of you gentlemen might care to chat about him?

All I know is that in 1952 the American Rifleman had an article about Southgate. I sure wanted a new muzzle-loader then but the $125 he asked was too much for little Jimmy. In Feb '10, Smokinbuck said the #57 on a gun meant it was built about 1950. TC Louis provided some information, that Southgate got up to serial number 1008 before he died in 1979.

Putting together information in one place is one of my obsessions. Last year I finished, in collaboration with another Michigander, a 250 page book on Michigan Gunmakers. Didn't want to live with a stack of books so only had 50 printed, most gone now.

I'd like to get up a ten or twenty page paperback on Southgate. Would make more sense if I lived in Tennessee but thought I might give it a try anyway.

So, might anyone send in some opinions & stories about the man?
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Re: Roy Southgate
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 06:33:02 PM »
Jim, I don't know if you posted this on thee ALR forum, but that's probably where your going to find more info on him, good luck!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 06:56:46 PM »
Yes, I might get more response on ALR.  Anyway, I have learned that Dixie Gunworks have a list of serial numbers vs year of manufacture for Royland Southgate's rifles & pistols. There are a couple of inconsistencies, I'd like to build a list of confirmed #'s vs date stamped on gun.

Soon I will be An Expert !!!!! That is, I eagerly await Messrs Postman &  UPS to bring me a 1952 Rifleman, and a late 1950's Southgate small caliber caplock rifle.

General consensus on That Other Forum is why would anyone want to collect Southgate rifles, they just aren't pretty enough . . . but I doanwanna collect them, I just want to 1.) finally get that rifle I wanted in 1952, and  2.) get me a small caliber caplock. Look around at prices - Pedersoli makes the best (IMHO) production rifle, from Dixie a .32 - .36 cal perc rifle runs about $600 - 650; custom US rifles are much more $$$$ pricy, but one might get a Southgate for around 4 bills.

Pretty? You guys make beautiful rifles, from what I've seen on these sites. I remember my first rifle, round Numrich .44 mag barrel,Dixie flint lock - had fun with it but sold it a few years ago, Ugly outweighed sentiment. Still have my first pistol, your basic RR tie w round barrel & $5 Miller Beford lock stuck on. I did get better, but can't claim that I have a right to criticize Southgate's work. This man rifled his own barrels & made his own locks (he mighta bought some parts like hammer, cock, frizzen).  

Once I become An Expert I'll put together a little treatise, full of errors, make it available to All & come out with  lots of revisions. This is my idea of fun.
if the ball is not rammed close on the powder. . .frequently cause the barrel to burst

Offline richard

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 05:04:22 PM »
There was an article about him in Gun Digest within the past ten years. I don't have the copy, so I can't tell you which year. Have fun with this.

Richard

Offline James Kelly

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 12:47:48 PM »
1990 Gun Digest had the article. I am up to about 47 pages now on my Southgate book(let), to be soft bound. Should have it out by end of 2013.

Didn't much care for the percussion Southgate I bought couple years back. OK rifle but made for a man with a l-o-n-g LOP, my old weak arms are short & shoulder not worth much. Next owner should enjoy it just fine, was pretty much like new.

Guess it is just that 12 year old's desire for a Southgate that keeps me working on this book.

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 02:35:56 PM »
Pm sent
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21