Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: slings in under ribs  (Read 638 times)

Offline David Yossi Snellen

• TMA Forum Member
slings in under ribs
« on: March 06, 2009, 01:31:01 PM »
Gentlemen,
I hope this is posted in the right spot.
I would like to put a sling on my Harpers ferry and lyman gpr.
I know that wasn't common, but it sure helps carrying them.

So, should I drill the underrib and install my sling swivel (I will probably forge that)?  Is that srong enough?

I figure I will put a screw button on the bottom.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ALSO-
Captchee, I have some questions on refinishing some cva pistols (your posting was great)  could you email my personal address?

snellensaddles@yahoo.com

Thank you all,
David

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 02:38:12 PM »
A swivel on the underrib will interfere with the rammer.  I'd  do a musket style swivel with a bolt through the fore end and the loop around a rammer pipe where it won't intrefere with anything.  A sling button on the butt is a good idea.

It's not particurlarly PC, but the T-C method of mounting the upper swivel directly on a ramrod pipe is very practical.  A button on the buttstock will work fine with that as well.

Another method is to simply have the upper end of the carry strap  tied around the barrel  as long as it doesn't interfere with the sights.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline David Yossi Snellen

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 08:58:38 PM »
If I made the swivel, why would it get in the way if I made it to come down on the thimble?
Please explain,
David

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 09:53:13 AM »
myself  if its a full stock , then i would dove tail in  the correct  under lug  to the barrel and then drill for a stirrup  type attachment .
 If it’s a half stock  then I would either build or by the correct  front swivel .
 This would require a whole ne w RR thimble  which includes the attachments
TC  often pu these on their rifles . You can get them through ToW for about 8 bucks ..
 If you have some ability with  metal working tools , you could also eather make one  like the TC OR build a  mounting that would  allow the  attachment to clear the RR . As to if the Under rib  strong enough . I would say in most cases yes . . But adding an additional under rib screw  will help support the  attachment  if you positions  to far away for an existing under rib screw .
 If you have a deep under rib that soldered onto the barrel , then  a stirrup type  swivel can also be made and mounted through the rib , in a location that  when laid flat , will always come to rest on a RR thimble . That way you never have an issue with  it blocking the RR

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 09:54:31 AM »
Quote from: "David Yossi Snellen"
If I made the swivel, why would it get in the way if I made it to come down on the thimble?
Please explain,
David

they always should come down and set on the thimble  regardless of what type you use  david