Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Dark stain  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2009, 10:55:46 AM »
yep , i would agree .
 i cant  help but wonder though if  maybe  there is a rub  in all this .
 What im getting at is , on one hand, folks just want to make a rifle . But then on the other hand some folks want to know how to make a rifle .
 Myself , I fall into the later  .
 See I want to know  the hows of the old way . Now that doesn’t mean I always use them .  However , I know how to use them .

Do you by chance remember the song about the farmer that grew a field of pot . I forget how it went but   the DEA found his field  .
 The song goes  on to say that they came and burned and dug and dug and burned  and destroyed his little field . But he just smiled and waved a as they left , ,,, sitting on that sack of seeds .

The point is  I think that while  they can take away  what we have . it’s a complete different story to take away knowledge .
So while its  a simple mater to , in most cases to simply buy  something , the knowledge of how to make that item  in the end serves you more .
 I truly believ that its our responsibility to pass this knowledge on . They day will come when we are no longer here , just as our ancestors are no longer here . But if  we preserve that base information  while we are here . If we pass that info along  to new people and younger folks like Eric here . Then when the day comes when  they can no longer  find these items , for what ever reason. Then they to can sit and smile on a sack of seeds .
 They will have the knowledge  needed to  make everything themselves . Every last part and piece . Sure it will take longer and  it will be a harder road . But it can still be done  and done correctly .
  I guess that’s really the base reason for doing what I do . I want to know these things . I want to be able to say ; fine take all this away , leave me with nothing . I don’t need what you have anyway . But know full well that  because of the seed  of knowledge , what has been taken away  will grow right back  even without modern conveniences.
 I guess that’s kinda corny , but it’s the way I  was brought up .

Anyway , this has been a fun topic , I have enjoyed it  greatly . I hope it continues to stay somewhat on track , even though I seem to have lead it all over the place LOL    :shake

Offline Bruce Bogart

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2009, 03:37:08 PM »
Well Captchee that was "Wildwood Flower"

Wild wood flower grew out on the farm and we never knew what it was for, some said it was a flower some said a weed, we never gave it much thought...... :shock:

Bruce

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2009, 03:50:26 PM »
yep that is the one  ;)