Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Another semi lethal, yet useful shop tip.  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 02:05:27 AM »
I'm not a chemist or metallurgist and am totally without clue as to why quenching a twist drill in Mercury hardens it.  Fact is, it does.  Dunno why, don't care.  I've done it once to drill a hole in a bottle to make a lamp.   As for dental amalgam, the mercury and silver combine to make an amalgam that is approximately as hard as tooth enamel, easily placed and cheap.   Silver amalgam dental fillings are used world wide and have been for well over a hundred years.   I have yet to see figures showing it to be responsible for any ill effects.   I have some and still I live.   Go figure.

I do think, as Russ does, that far too many folks tend to panic when the words "heavy metal" are used.   Because he knows I cast bullets, work with pewter and shoot, my doc  tests me for lead about every six months.  So far I'm well below "average" whatever that is.

[size=150]"WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE !!"[/size]  Bullfeathers.

RE: compact fluorescents.   I have at least 250 incandescent lamps of varying wattages,  most in 130v.   Those tend to last for at least five years.  Enough to last me the rest of my life.  The rest of Y'all are on your own.   I recommend stocking up on 'em.  A 75w 130V  lamp gives about the same light as a 120V 60w and lasts five or more years in a similar application.  Do your own math.

Three Hawks.
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.