Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Lock bolt placement  (Read 629 times)

Offline Sean McKown

• TMA Forum Member
Lock bolt placement
« on: April 08, 2009, 11:33:23 PM »
OK, I finally got started again on my new build.  Davis lock, 1inch rice barrel.  Im getting the lock plate inlet now, so I have a little bit of time yet. Exactly how do I determine where the lock bolt/screw gets  put. Its a caplock,  there is a thick portion around the snail cutout. could I go through that?  should I go through that?  that would put lock bolt behind the breach plug, or do I need to go lower.  My other build(the completed one) is in this spot, though not through the heavy portion(I was new at this, drilled right through the  D for davis,seemed like a good spot, and with the 1 1/8 barrel it was still behind breach plug. BUT im not entirely sure on the CORRECT placement.  Help guys. Please.
Sean McKown
Nebraska TMA State Representative[/color]
TMA Member #182
exp 04/15/14 Just renewed via paypal
NMLRA

Eastern Platte Muzzleloaders
Pioneer Longrifles

Offline Sean McKown

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 07:51:30 AM »
Steve, in a word NO.
 Pm me your email address,  and I will take a couple pics on my ph and email tehm to you from my ph(i just found out I can do that) But I cant download all the pics I have from my cam to my computer.
Sean McKown
TMA Member #182
NMLRA

Pioneer Longrifles

Offline Wyoming Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 08:04:27 AM »
I go through the lock bolster which usually ends up with the hole in back of the hammer.  This gives you a little more bearing surface for the bolt.  

On some rifles this will put the bolt going through the webbing under the tang of the breechplug.  I just drill through the webbing and open the hole up a little.
Love the smell of black powder in the morning
Smells like fun.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 09:39:51 AM »
well , it really depends on the lock . but normaly this is where i put place the  lock bolts .
  i also do not drill all the way through on the  back one . but you need to go all the way through the ' depending on who you talk to  lock bolster / pan bridle  and into the lock plate . but again , not all the way through  the lock plate itself .
 now i know some folks do , but i dont

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 09:47:45 AM »
Capt
Is there any reason you don't drill all the way through, other than looks?

I'm afraid I don't have the thread tapping skills to thread a blind hole
The 8 x 32 tap is mighty fragile in my clumsy hands

Jerry
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 10:23:05 AM »
really its not just  for looks . doing it  that way  i dont have to worry about  the lock bolt  catching the cock  or hammer . some locks  the cock fits real tight to the lock plate .  even though you  can clean up the end of the bolt so it clears  the cock , over time  the lock bolt  will tighten up alittle more  as the wood compresses .  then you have to go back and  clean the end of the bolt off again  so  things dont hang up .
 it doesn’t take any more skill  one way or another  and IMO gives a much cleaner  application  with less  issues , down the road
 But yes there are people who drill all the way through . . If that’s what you want to do ,  go ahead . Just make sure that  the cock clears the end of the bolt  and that you check it now and then to make sure  it has not  ended up going farther out then  needed .

what i do is set up my press with the correct bit for the tap your using . then  i set my stop on my press  so as to only go about 1/2 way through the lock plate . Yet all the way through the lock bolster / pan bridle

Now what many folks don’t know is that there are  many different type’s of tap’s .
 The three basic ones though are a
1) tapered tap . = used to tap a through hole  with no bottom . These cut threads real well  but must go all the way through in order to get an even  thread
2) plug tap . This tap has an even thread with a point . Basically once you get about ½ down the tap , you have even thread . But it also has a pointed end . So it  wants to go all the way through  . Because of the point , it will not tap to the bottom  of a hole
3) bottom tap .  This is basically the same tap as #2 . However it doesn’t have a point , just a flat end . This will tap all the way to the bottom of a  blind hole . Blind being , the hole doesn’t go all the way through  the part

The most common tap that people use , is #2
 What I do  is  make a #3 out of a extra  #2 , by   placing a dye  or simple  nut on the tap  then carefully honing or grinding the  point off  down to where  the tap will cut all the way to the bottom of a hole . Then I remove the  dye or nut  . This cleans up any chafing  on the  face of the tap .
 OR  you could just buy one , but im cheep lol

Myself I don’t use a #1 . Though many folks say you should use a # 1  the finish with a #2

So  after I have  the  hole drilled , I come back and tap  the hole with   the plug tap that I made . Just go slow . Make a ½ turn and then turn the tap counterclockwise to clean the threads and then  go forward a full turn . The back a ½ a turn .
 What this does is keep the threads clean. It also lets you feel when the tap has bottomed .
 Then once its bottomed , I bring the tap put and put in the bottom tap , doing the very same thing as above.. Feeling the tap as is cuts .
 If it feels like you have to apply more pressure , back the tape out and take a look .  Doing so is so much easier then snapping a tap ..
 Now when I cut down my lock bolt . I cut it to a dept that only goes through the  lock bolster/ pan bridle .
 This way there is about 1/8 of an inch  more threads in the hole  then what the bolt needs . That way as the wood compresses over time , you still have enough room  to tighten the lock in a little more , without messing with the  bolt .

By doing it this way , I never have to worry about the bolt  interfering with the cock or hammer .
 Which by the way , has to be about the #1 field repair that I do for folks .
   When the bolt starts going to far trough the lock , , the cock and hammer  either catches or it drags  against it like a big burr  . Sometimes if the bolt  comes out behind the cock or hammer  it will  push the cock  or hammer out alittle  and folks don’t even know .
 But what they do know is that the lock has slowed down  or  with a caplock , its started double falling on the caps

Offline Sean McKown

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 09:12:58 PM »
Looking back on my post this am.  was meant more sarcastic than short or abrupt.  I broke the port on my cam so I cant download pics from cam to  computer.

Thanks for the info guys.  I guess im not as far off base as I thought I was.  with the red dots on the pic that Captchee posted that helps a lot.
Sean McKown
TMA Member #182
NMLRA

Pioneer Longrifles