Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: rebarreling a muzzleloader  (Read 755 times)

Offline paw

• TMA Forum Member
rebarreling a muzzleloader
« on: August 16, 2009, 04:46:01 PM »
I have been told that my pedersoli plainsman 45ca with 13/16 barrel cannot be bored and re rifled for safety reasons. can any recomend a good smith with decent turn around time that could rebarrel this rifle for me. there is a good blacksmith within 50 miles of me who does good work but its a long wait.

Offline Bioprof

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 11:30:16 PM »
You probably don't need a blacksmith to do this.  A gunsmith who has experience with muzzleloaders should be able to do this for you.  If it were me though, I'd compare the cost of rebarreling the rifle with the cost of buying a good used one.   It might end up being less expensive just to buy a good used one.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 08:45:01 AM »
problems not really the re barreling part PAW . its the turn around time. right now if a person isnt busy , you have to wonder why ?

have you considered giving it a shot yourself ?
 with alittle help from those of us here on the forum you could do it you know

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 12:57:19 PM »
Why not have the rifling refreshed?
http://www.johntaylormachine.com/ can probably do this for you.  I think it would be a lot less expensive than a new barrel and you could probably use .451 ball in it instead of .440.  No doubt less hassle as well and it would be a traditional approach to fixing the problem.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 03:34:10 PM »
If it was me, I'd seriously consider buying a breeched barrel from TOW and going from there on my own.   Not a difficult thing to do,  the roadblocks are located between one's ears.

I have a T-C Seneca that came to me with a bad .45 cal. barrel so I had it reamed to .50 smooth and am now finishing up a .40 cal. Green Mountain barrel I had breeched by TOW.  The rest of the parts I eaither made myself or bought.   I made up the ramrod pipes and sights myself, not hard to do, and the under rib came from my junk box.  They're available from almost all the on line parts vendors.

Just a thought,

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.