Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Gun Site Installation  (Read 864 times)

Offline Thresher

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: 499
Gun Site Installation
« on: November 23, 2009, 07:39:51 PM »
I'm building an English Gentleman's sporting rifle from Jim Chambers Flintlocks. I need to position and install the rear site. I need some guidance on where I should place that site. I didn't have to do this on my last gun.  Any suggestions.

Rumely

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 07:58:53 PM »
This is only my opinion and I have old eyes. I placed the rear sight forward of the balance point of my rifle and it works well for me
I have 20/20 vision after cataract surgery on both eyes but the close in vision is less than desired
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline Thresher

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 08:48:05 PM »
thanks. forward of the balance point seems to make sense to me. It' a good place to start.

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 04:24:08 AM »
What exactly does the balance point have to do with where one sites his sights?   Inquiring minds and all that.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline huntinguy

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 10:19:34 AM »
When I was young it wouldn't make a difference where the sight was on the barrel.

Now that I am old I would place it down the barrel far enough that I could get a good sight picture.  (my new reason for a long barrel  :lol: ).
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 04:54:53 PM »
Sometimes when the rear sight is at the balance point where you carry the rifle, it can dig into your hand and be awful uncomfortable after awhile.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 05:01:11 PM »
I guess the answer to that is rather than placing it at whatever point, you bring the rifle up to sight it and have someone slide the sight along the barrel to where it is clear to your eyes.  That is where the sight belongs.
With that being said, I think I recall that I heard somewhere that the rear sight had to be located at least 6" ahead of the breachplug in order to be legal to shoot in some matches.  And of course, not to have it at the balance point where it could dig into your hand when carrying it.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Thresher

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 07:49:06 PM »
Thanks all for the suggestions. All I have to do now is get a sight picture that is clear, at least 6" from the breach plug, close to but not exactly at the balance point and see where it is. Im guessing that meeting all of those requirements will narrow it down considerable. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Offline MedicineSoldier

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 12:53:40 AM »
Although the previous suggestions should be taken into account I think the priority would be to set the sights by where they will best allow your eyes to focus on them.

Get a small package of magnetic tape that has adhesive backing.  Cut some of the tape to the size of your sight bases and place them on the bases using the sticky side.  Use the magnet sights by placing the front sight in the appropriate position then move the rear sight up and down the barrel until you feel you have the best sight picture. Mark the barrel for installation at these points.   Maybe mark it, put it down for a while and then try it again to assure you get the same results.  This will raise the sights up a higher on the barrel so keep that in mind when you are shouldering the rifle but it should not make a difference on the locations.  It will give you a chance to compare the rear sight to the balance point as well as the best sight picture.

Medicine Soldier
I ask, Who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers."
 – George Mason

Offline Thresher

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 02:17:39 PM »
Gentleman. All of your suggestions are appreciated and as it turns out are correct. I will take the advice of MedicineSoldier and put it away and try it again later.

Here are my results. I am at a point in the gun building where I am making final assembly to make final adjustments prior to disassembly again for finishing. The balance point on this gun is about 4 1/2 inches from the breach plug. Next I shouldered the gun and took a sight picture and then moved the rear sight forward until both front and rear sights were in focus. The front sight is already placed. This turned out to be about 7 1/2" from the breach plug. So --- All of you were correct.

I'll do it again later to verify my results. I like the idea of the magnetic tape. I've got some laying around.

I've been shooting black powder off and on for about 30 years, all kinds and types. However as "life happens" I started out from scratch again about 2 years ago. I decided to stay with more historically correct pieces and strictly flintlocks. My first gun build was a trade gun. I 've had lots of fun with it and shot the heck out of it. Even tried some skeet shooting with it. I joined the TMA and am glad I did. All this stuff is fun. I feel like Im getting back into it the "right" way.

Thanks again for all your help.

Rumely

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 08:41:55 PM »
yep . MS and BS are correct . there is no set place that you have to put the sights . basickly you set the rear just as you did . move it up or back tell both the front and rear are clear .
 becouse im getting older  i would add .  mark and check that lockation 3 times .
1 once in the am . once after you eat at lunch and once just before bed . then place in the avrage of all 3 .

Offline flintlock62

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 07:23:23 AM »
This is strictly my own opinion.  I place the rear sight on my rifles anywhere from 8-1/2" to 10" from the breech plug.  By barrels range from 36" to 42"
Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.  - George Washington

Polititions and diapers need be changed often, and for the same reason.