Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Of a Lowly Bobcat  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 11:24:08 AM »
Quote from: "Two Steps"
Capt...I'm glad burch bumped this back up...I enjoy your story every time I read it  :lt th
Al

Same whut the Prezz seez.
I done forgot about this beautiful little CVA ya took to the round ball...she is just as purdy today as she wuz 3 years ago.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 11:45:59 AM »
Yes I agree.  One of the best things I like about this Mountain Man ambiance is the stories that go with the people, the gear and the places they go.

It is good to bring them TTT 'to the top' now and again for those of us who are new and those of us who forget.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 11:50:30 AM »
I was impressed with with Capt`s story too. Your a true credit to this sport Capt. The rifle speakes for itself.  :shake

Burch
Member #471 Expires 5/16/09
If I Gotta Explain It You wouldn`t Understand It

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 12:52:51 PM »
MAN!! Has it been 3 years ?
 Again I want to thank you all for the kind words .

The lady who owns her , still has her . Im am proud to say  I have been told the little  rifle has schooled the ladies husband  at the range , more then a few times .

3 years ??  Boy have we come along way fellas .
 I actually look back at this post with  both joy and sadness . I see people that we now longer hear from .
Firewalker , Jack S  I wonder where they are today ?

Long knife is no longer with us , now sitting im sure by the camp fires of the elders , hopefully smiling down   on us and the organization he helped form .
 I think we who knew him miss him greatly . A true Man and friend , in every since of the word .

I also see  all the others that   are still here , Uncle Russ , Riley , Eric . Beaverman , Voyager , Rolling B .
I even see Thumper now and then. in fact still speak with him often  though we don’t get to shoot together as much as we once did .

Now we have a new person Burch .
 Burch , thank you for your words  and welcome to the TMA forum .  I hope  we can bring you , much joy and knowledge  and the friendship that we all share
I also whant to thank you for bringing this forward . While I had not forgotten about doing the rifle , I had forgotten about the story .
  I would have to say that even after this long of time I still believe  the stories base to be true .
 I think to often  we forget that  what we see on the outside   may not be what’s in the inside .
  Possibly in this day and age  of the internet , computer games  and basically a way of life that takes our children way from the out doors , stifling their imaginations to the point that if  they  cant physically see  something, they cant see  it in their mind . I don’t know , I guess it saddens me alittle bit  . Thus  as I recall back 3 years ago. That , was I think the reason behind why I wrote that story .

Its just so easy anymore to read words on a page and not realize that behind those words , thoughts deeds , is a real living breathing person , just wanting to be heard  or maybe show off their skills and in some way be recognized and accepted .   Im of the opinion , when we   do that , we all grow .

I think Longknife  is proud of  this organization  because we have held true to that  reasoning .
So again folks , thank you for the kind words  and lets not forget that  , that old rifle  or pistol in the back of our closet , hold memories as well   and can provide us with many , many more  if we just give it the chance
 Be safe

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 07:09:19 PM »
I just came home from shooting my GPR. Man, how I miss doing that. I gave up BP shooting for a while taken in by modern firearms and the reloading game. Although I still like doing that I accually loved my BP guns at one time and i`m finding how much this sport is modernizing itself with the in-line crowd ( no offense meant ). The lore of traditional weapons is one of the best things i`ve found yet. I also shoot my stick bows and can`t help but favor the traditional side of things. It`s people like Captchee that keep this alive and keep it from dying out. So my hats off to the fine folks in this `ole world that still believe in the way it should be rather than the way it is. Oh, by the way my GPR still hits dead center at 50 yrds.  :happy  I think i`ll start spending a little more time with my past.
Member #471 Expires 5/16/09
If I Gotta Explain It You wouldn`t Understand It

Offline doc623

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 01:29:34 PM »
I just happen to have a similar bobcat.
OPne thing is though mine has a silver finish - may have seen or heard the name silver egal or something like that.
Any way want to restock.
Can I blue over the silver finish an if so how would I go about it?

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 01:49:34 PM »
I've seen and owned several CVA Bobcats but never came across one in stainless or silver finish. Can you read the information on the breach of the barrel? Several of the cheap (inexpensive) rifles that CVA used to sell used the smae locks and barrels as the Bobcat but put on a different stock. Can you post a photo of it?? You've got my curiousity up. CVA also would stick a medellion in the stock and sell it as a Prmotion for National wild turkey federation, or Elk federation etc.Asmall amount of the sale price going to these orgs.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline doc623

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 04:33:52 PM »
It is not SS. It does have a silver finish and seems to be textured and not smooth. I'll check the info when I get home.
I do know that it does not have any medalions on it any where.
Can't post a picture of it.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 06:08:27 PM »
MMMMM? this would be a new one for me as well , . is there any chance  it was a kit and the barrel was left in the white ?
 if you get a chance photo's please

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 07:34:18 PM »
Captchee I think CVA offered a mat finish on a few of their guns but I don't recall it being offered on the bobcat. I'm wondering if this may be somthing put together from different parts?
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
not sure gorden . i have seen bobcats with larger locks and gold lettering so ?? maybe it was an option or a limited run ?

Offline doc623

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2009, 01:34:23 PM »
I guess that I miss spoke.
It is what I consider of a bob cat type.
I looked and it is actually according to what is on the barrel a:
Silver Eagle, .50 cal.
Stone Mt Inc.
Maid in Spain
Black Powder Only.
It has a synthetic stock and a textured finish on the silver finish barrel.
I do not have any way of posting photos.
I am still woundering if the silver finish may be smoothed down and cold or hot blued?
I am not fond of the synthetic stock nor the silver testured finish.
Any help or suggestions?

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2009, 10:07:09 PM »
MMM? should be able to strip it ? depends on thatw the finish is

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2009, 10:40:45 PM »
Sure had me wondering for a while. I didn't think CVA offered the bobcat in the matt finish but you never can be certain.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2009, 09:34:02 AM »
well Im thinking it is a bobcat . they just changed the name  when they provided it in a silver satin finish

doesnt say if its plated or  powder coated ?????. but with some work it should all come off and be able to be blued or browned