Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Anti-seize?  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Hood

• TMA Forum Member
Anti-seize?
« on: September 15, 2016, 01:08:37 PM »
What do you recommend for the threads of the touch hole in flintlock as far as anti-seize?
Thanks!

Offline doggoner

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member # 687
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration; 9/2021
Re: Anti-seize?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 07:54:47 PM »
Go to an auto parts house and buy a SMALL tube of anti-seize. The brand to buy is whatever they stock. Put some on the threads and screw the plug into place. The plug will come out the next time you want it to. If there is doubt in your mind about this, install the plug, shoot the gun several times and remove the plug to check for ugly on the threads. Reapply some anti-seize on the threads and re-install the plug. You'll find that anti-seize is VERY slick stuff.

doggoner
"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," --Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 09:26:19 PM »
Another thought would be T/C or other brand of choke lube.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 05:45:21 AM »
Quote from: "doggoner"
Go to an auto parts house and buy a SMALL tube of anti-seize. The brand to buy is whatever they stock. Put some on the threads and screw the plug into place. The plug will come out the next time you want it to. If there is doubt in your mind about this, install the plug, shoot the gun several times and remove the plug to check for ugly on the threads. Reapply some anti-seize on the threads and re-install the plug. You'll find that anti-seize is VERY slick stuff.

doggoner

+1   :bl th up

before firing up a new flinter i'll pull the breech plug and touch hole liner and reinstall with auto store anti-seize lube (permatex).  this is excellent insurance that both of those threaded devices will easily part company after years of hard use and mitigation of bp residue that will encourage rusting (yes, those threads WILL be compromised with gunk/rust and be darned near welded shut if not pre treated).  if i was a cap lock owner (not!  :!:   :Doh!  

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 01:41:53 PM »
Ordinary gun grease works just fine.
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 01:51:07 PM »
Quote from: "Buzzard"
Ordinary gun grease works just fine.

that's a great lube, but you will find too quickly that it's not in the same category, or function, as real anti-seize lube.

most folks have no need to pull breech plugs, but most folks will have a touch hole liner or nipple or clean out screw that will get removed.  this is where anti-seize lube will make it easy to remove any of those male threads no matter how badly they've been compromised by bp residue and/or subsequent rust/corrosion.  for a few buck$, anti-seize is the better lube, and insurance, to use on threads.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 01:50:03 PM »
Quote from: "rfd"
Quote from: "doggoner"

doggoner

+1   :bl th up

before firing up a new flinter i'll pull the breech plug and touch hole liner and reinstall with auto store anti-seize lube (permatex).  this is excellent insurance that both of those threaded devices will easily part company after years of hard use and mitigation of bp residue that will encourage rusting (yes, those threads WILL be compromised with gunk/rust and be darned near welded shut if not pre treated).  if i was a cap lock owner (not!  :!:   :Doh!  

I thought about this post yesterday!
Yep, this post came to mind when I  found a brand "spanking new" liner  on my bench that I 'think' is for my Pedersoli Longrifle...looks like me newest task will be getting  that old liner out! :Doh! What was I thinking when I put that old one in......

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 03:48:32 PM »
hope you can pull 'er out, russ!  

i've got that same problem with the tiny slot  head DST set screw on one of my rolling block perdersoli's.  that screw won't budge, and since it's under the bow of the trigger guard, all screw drivers go in angled and not dead straight.  i got 'er flooded with liquid wrench ...  and hoping!  :roll eyes

Offline MountainDevil

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 09:53:23 AM »
Plumbers tape

Offline petew

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.peteward.com
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 10:35:37 PM »
The best we have at work is "Nikal" , it is  a nickel base anti seize . It is good to 1000F ,and it goes on every nut and bolt I put together.
Share your knowledge .

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 05:17:23 AM »
i would never use plumber's tape on an ml thread - you want a HIGH TEMP LUBE and not a low temp teflon tape that may overspill or under cover the threads

just checked out the nikal spex - awesome stuff, just ordered some out thru zoro.

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 12:20:22 PM »
Rob, I betcha that's some good to better stuff, never heard of it before, but now I gotta get me some too! :hairy

BTW Rob, I got my flashhole liner out without any problems,  but the "new one" I found on the bench doesn't have the right threads...no sure why I bought it, or what it does fit, but it ain't the right threads for my Pedersoli...freshened the old one up a bit, added the anti-siege and now I'm good for awhile longer....in fact, visually, I can't see a thing wrong with the old liner.

Uncle Russ...

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 12:23:36 PM »
russ, prolly a usa/metric thread size issue?  

BUT, she's out and cleaned up and sized up and lubed up back in .... time to make thunder, smoke 'n' fire!  :)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 12:38:45 PM »
i would never use plumber's tape on an ml thread - you want a HIGH TEMP LUBE and not a low temp teflon tape that may overspill or under cover the threads

just checked out the nikal spex - awesome stuff, just ordered some out thru zoro.

I dunno,.... that plumber's tape might work just fine on my great-grandson's water pistol!  :rotf

But,.... I agree, the anti-seize would be MUCH better for muzzleloaders.  :rt th
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 02:34:27 PM »
russ, prolly a usa/metric thread size issue?  

BUT, she's out and cleaned up and sized up and lubed up back in .... time to make thunder, smoke 'n' fire!  :oops: won't do that no more!

At least I know now that it will come out, easy-peazy too!

I found this at The Possibles Shop. 'bout half-way down the page.
http://possibleshop.com/s-s-flintlock-supplies.html

Description / Order No

CVA / Traditions    12-50-94    
M5 -.8 Touch Hole Liner

Lyman    12-50-95
M6 -.75 Touch Hole Liner   

Pedersoli    12-50-96
M8 -1.25 Touch Hole Liner

1/4-28 Touch Hole Liner
With Screw Driver Slot    12-50-97

5/16-24 Touch Hole Liner
With Screw Driver Slot    12-50-98

1/4-28 Touch Hole Liner
Wrench Type    12-50-99

This just might come in handy if someone is looking, and not sure just what they're looking for.

The best I can tell the new flash hole liner I found on my bench could well be a 5/16-24.
It is obviously new, but I can't find the packaging. It must have come in a bubble-pack, fell out, and I tossed the packing, but I can't remember the stupid thing at all.
Don'tcha just hate when that happens!

Uncle Russ...