Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: cows knees  (Read 618 times)

Offline Catchem

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 805
cows knees
« on: August 21, 2012, 08:48:14 PM »
I've seen soft leather 'sleeves' that tie around the lock, protecting it from rain (a little), I imagine the authentic cows knees were of stiff leather and might have actually 'snapped' into position.

1. Is this true?

2. Is there a source of authentic cows knees somewhere, or do we make our own?

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
Re: cows knees
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 12:36:51 PM »
In passing I've found reference to leather and oiled cloth "Lock Caps (Covers).  From the descriptions they had ties at the front and back and one version had sponge along the front and back edges to prevent water from following the barrel or stock to the lock.

There is also a reference to one that was made so that the rifle could be loaded and fired without removing the cover.

I've not seen any reference to 'hard' lock covers.  But that doesn't mean there weren't any or that they didn't use a "sam brown" type button and strap to hold them on.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline Voyageur

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 12:49:33 PM »
Why not check with some of our "PREFERRED MERCHANTS" such as Beaverman---though he does not advertise them I am quite sure he can make them. Essentially they are leather and lay over and are tied to sit over a flintlock, during bad weather---ya know "Keep Yer Powder Dry...."......."Doc" :hairy
Artillerymen Do It With A Bang
Artillery the King of Battle
St. Barbara-Pray for us !

NRA Endowment Life

Charter Member #104-10/22/15
"JOIN THE TMA TODAY"

Offline Catchem

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 805
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 04:18:06 PM »
Maybe I'm too literal.

A cow has 2 different 'knees', actually wrists, one in front I believe called a carpal joint and one in back called a tarsal joint.  The one in front looks like it has a bulge that, if treated right, might be able to be fashioned into a stiff cover for a lock without the need for any ties at all. It actually might work pretty well. The typical soft leather or cloth cover with ties doesn't look at all like a 'cow's knees' and also doesn't look like it would work any better than just putting your lock under your coat's sleeve.

Help!

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 09:50:05 PM »
I think you will find that if you make it out of stiff leather or rawhide so it snaps into place it won't hug the action tightly enough to keep water out any better than your coat sleeve.  At least that's what I found out when I tried it some time back.  I ended up using a softer leather treated with beeswax that I tied on.  The beeswax keeps water out of the leather and also lets you shape the leather to the gun to some degree.

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline david32cal

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 10:00:12 PM »
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
I think a cows knee is nice protection,but not for rain. I would like to see a design that hugs the barrel so tight, water cannot run down it and into the pan. The best way to hunt a flinter in the rain is under a treated tarp strung between trees at yer favorite deer crossing. That's my style of cows knee. Maybe some one here will chime in with a apattern for a guaranteed waterproof cows knee, I too would like to see it.
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 10:14:39 AM »
I doubt you'll find a 100% guaranted waterproof P/C cover. You can do your best and be constantly aware of where your lock is and what the weather is and isn't doing. Your arm pit is the best place,along with a SOFT leather cover like what Dave gave instructions for,and that's about as waterproof your going to get. In @ 33 years of hunting with flinter's,that's the best I've been able to come up with. I like a thin leather one greased with tallow/beeswax mix. Roll's up nice and small.

On page 58 of Madison Grant's "Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch" show's a "Flintlock cover signed by Jocob Blauvell" Look's to be a hard moulded leather cover. You'd have to hang it off the rear of your bag strap!(His book's are AWSOME,if ya like ta tinker!)
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 01:43:59 PM »
In foul weather I wrap my lock with a scarf or whatever I have on hand to keep my powder dry.

Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 03:31:49 PM »
I agree with Longhunter and Path, I use 'whatever' is handy and convenient, and mostly that is a armpit or a sleeve.
Tried several times to fashion and use one of the Cow's Knee contraptions, but each time produces something that was more of an aggravation than anything helpful.

FWIW: I'm not sure of this, but I am told by a couple of sources, that anything made to cover the ignition system is illegal, by law, in Washington State, where the law clearly defines that the ignition will be exposed to the elements.

Having said that, I have to say I have never heard of anything ever being said about getting a ticket, being fined, or any of the other hundred plus things Game Wardens in this state can do to you if you're found to be illegal in some way.  
I also have to say that every Game Warden in this state that I have personally met up with, and there has been quite a few, are some of the nicest people to be found anywhere, very pleasant,  polite, and well mannered young men.............so it might well be a non-issue, as opposed to a wild rumor.

I just though I would mention that, as many other states may have a similar law in place.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 05:53:12 PM »
By George,I think I'll start another thread on that subject!(game warden's)
NRA life member
NMLRA