Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Black Powder  (Read 652 times)

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Black Powder
« on: April 25, 2019, 03:52:12 PM »
This is a copy and paste from my Facebook Page from several years back.......it's still good information, and kinda explains why so many of us learned to love Goex and Swiss many years back.
It was written by Wayne Stormer, one of several recognized Subject Matter Experts in the field. Somewhere in my files I have a very similar article by Bill Knight (Mad Monk).
Years ago, when I was going through a phase of life know as BPCR, I communicated a bit with Bill, one would be hard pressed to find a more knowledgeable, more pleasant fella than Bill Knight, but the same thing can be said of Wayne Stormer.

Differences In Black Powder

There are two main types of black powder commonly run into by black powder shooters.
** 1-"F" called "blasting powder" these days, which is uncut, of
     irrtegular shaped grains greatly more sensitive, very
     hygroscopic and will clump requiring it to be rolled in its
     containers to prevent such clumping. It is also has a greater
     range of granulation sizing in the size assigned to it. This is
     the common gun powder of our ancestors in most of the
     18th Century.
** 2- "Fg" called "sporting powder" specifically made for our
     sporting gun use due to its being cut polished for consistent
     slow burning characteristics and consistent sizing with
     smooth pouring characteristics. This is the recommended
     powder to be used, and DuPont/Goex has set the American
     standard for such since 1802.
     [It comes from the demand for the quality black powder that
      was had by many German and Swiss back in the 18th
      Century and was being adopted/put into use for the various
      military forces.]

The sporting black powder made by DuPont had to do with the two advances in production. Those advances being the cut polishing of the grains with graphite, and the new use of the American standardized brass/bronze screening sieves that replaced the old reed and silk sieves. Not every black powder manufacturer complied with the standard screen sizing, but this was the standard set and what all else was compared to.

Cut polishing is tumbling the black powder over a set time with graphite powder. This both cuts and polishes the grains of powder. The grains are then rounder and of a more consistent size when screening. This is what give a greater resistance to it  being hygroscopic, and it allows it to flow when pouring without clumping like the blasting powder does. These things provide a greater consistency when shooting our firelocks.

It is noted that Goex's sporting powder is an excellent standard black powder. However, it is dirtier than the Swiss sporting black powder. Why? Because Goex only cut polishes its sporting powder for about 30 minutes which will leave a minute amount of graphite dust with Goex's sporting black powder. That grayish-green color you see and mistake for fouling when cleaning is actually the reaction of the graphite dust to your gun barrel bore.

The Swiss sporting powder is cut polished four to five times the length of time Goex powder is. This results in a superior sporting powder the is highly polished without graphite remaining and attaching to the powder. It therefore has a glossy black polished look to it with superior performance. This is not to say that Goex is a bad powder in any way, but it does explain the difference.

One more thing to go along with this bit of information is that Swiss sporting black powder is made with adler buckthorn charcoal whereas the Goex standard sporting powders are made with a willow charcoal. The adler buckthorn is denser and thus produces greater energy output by about 20% with the comparative Goex powder. The Europeans do not use the same sieving sizes as we do either, so one must be mindful of the differences in their respective granulation sizes listed.

An example is:
100 gr by volume Swiss 1.5Fg = 125 gr by volume Goex FFg
70 gr by volume Swiss 1.5Fg = 87.5 gr by volume Goex FFg

50 gr by volume Swiss 2Fg = 62.5 gr by volume Goex FFFg

Note that Goex also markets a very nice Olde Eynsford sporting powder made with adler buckthorn charcoal or a mixture of adler buckthorn & pacific willow charcoal. Its volume measure must likewise take into consider the variation of the density of powder in comparison to Goex's standard sporting powder though being the exact same granulation size
70 gr volume Goex Olde Eysnford FFg = 87.5 gr Goex FFg

So, be aware of what you're dealing with and the proper volume amounts to be factored in and used in whatever you choose. If you are a re-enactor using the blasting powder for  your re-enacting, be aware that the powder you're using can be a varied granulation smorgasbord of granulation sizes when used, and even including priming powder dust in it as you get lower in the can of it. That can produce much greater pressures in a barrel with a blank cartridge down the bore than a patched ball with a sporting powder load behind it.

Now there is the standard German Schuetzen Wano black powder, and the powders made by Schuetzen and Goex for Graf & Sons etc. Do your homework. For myself, standard Goex works just fine price wise, but if I'm going to be competing I'd go with the Swiss. Why does the Swiss cost so much more? Because only a limited amount of it is made and sold.
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
Re: Black Powder
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 04:47:15 PM »
Very interesting , I  always  wondered  about the difference. I'm  still sticking with GOEX, though.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline doggoner

• TMA: Supporting Member # 687
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration; 9/2021
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 05:08:14 PM »
Having amassed eighty plus pounds of GOEX in the past few years, I'll stick with it for a while. Thanks for the info though. You can never be too well informed about this sport, uh hobby, uh madness. (pick one or add your own description to the list)

doggoner
"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," --Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 05:33:43 PM »
I haven't stockpiled as much Goex as Doggoner, but I have too much to think about switching anytime soon...There will probably be enough Goex around my place once I die that they could use it to excavate my burial plot...and several others as well...lol
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 08:45:26 PM »
This Halloween I'm going trick or treating at Doggoner' house with an empty powder horn!!!!

:lol sign :lol sign :lol sign :lol sign
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 09:30:42 PM »
This Halloween I'm going trick or treating at Doggoner' house with an empty powder horn!!!!

:laffing :toast :shake

I like my Goex, can't really see any reason to change as then you open up a new can of variances and I really don't want to do that at this stage in life with my ML shooting... Have to say however, that was an interesting read ol' Russ posted.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 10:39:31 PM »

Now THAT IS FUNNY! :lol sign
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 11:58:21 PM »
I did a bit of chronograph testing with Wano and other powders a ways back.  For sure, Wano is the last powder I would invest in.  Can you spell dirty?  Ugh.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 07:15:57 AM »
I am still trying to figure out how long it would take me to use 80 pounds of black powder... Doggoner must shoot a heavy load, and shoot a lot...lol

What size cannon do you have, Doggoner?
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 12:34:37 PM »
Russ,.... thanks for the powder info, I think it should be "stickied" so it can be readily found by others who haven't read it.  :applaud  :bow :hairy

"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline doggoner

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 01:05:17 PM »
Oldetexian

No cannon just six grandkids and three grown kids that come to Grandpa's/Dad's house and shoot---A LOT. We have fun as the backyard is the shooting range. The banter can get thick at times. Fun, fun,fun.

doggoner
"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," --Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 02:27:18 PM »
Wow, that's  wonderful you have family involved  and your own range. Forget Halloween ,  would you adopt me?

:lol sign  :lol sign

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 03:20:56 PM »
Dang, Doggoner...that sound just awesome! Sure has to be "shinin' times" when you got all those you love joining ya in what you all love to do. Just keep it up...and don't be afraid to buy more powder if ya need it...lol
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Offline doggoner

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 04:19:19 PM »
Nessmuk

Right now no I can't adopt you but if you come by during a shoot, you're more than welcome to have at it. You just have to have a fairly thick skin as the "Kids" will rub it in if they (by accident of course) outshoot you. I'll provide the powder. The lead and patch are your problem. I'll even supply the water to clean your gun. The grease (or whatever) to lube is on you as well. Come on down if you can.

doggoner