Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Muzzleloader Magazine  (Read 814 times)

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
Muzzleloader Magazine
« on: April 25, 2019, 05:40:54 PM »
Was in a bookstore this afternoon and saw a copy of Jan/Feb issue of Muzzleloader. I immediately picked it up since I hadn't seen one in over 25 years. Seems to be a lot more ads than I remember, but still has some good articles. However, I will admit I miss the "Pilgrim's Journey." Mr. Baker's column taught me a lot, as well as being a real life inspiration.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Muzzleloader Magazine
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 07:19:29 PM »
"Pilgrim's Journey." Mr. Baker's column

I always enjoyed his writings as well.  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 07:45:12 PM »
Since I am just getting back into traditional muzzleloading and buckskinning I have just read Volume I of "The Pilgrim's Journey." It's the collection of the first ten years of Baker's columns that appeared in the Muzzleloader. Almost every column has some useful tidbit or idea that helps improve my persona. I plan on ordering the second volume, as well. It's nice to have all the columns collected and in one place so I can refer back to them.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 12:01:17 AM »
Yessir, Mark Baker is quite the fellow.  It is kind of funny to watch him walking through camp with all his minions following behind in lock step.  But he wrote a great column and admitted to his shortcomings, which is more than can be said for other writers in the field.
Go Mark.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 04:38:51 AM »
Since I am just getting back into traditional muzzleloading and buckskinning I have just read Volume I of "The Pilgrim's Journey." It's the collection of the first ten years of Baker's columns that appeared in the Muzzleloader. Almost every column has some useful tidbit or idea that helps improve my persona. I plan on ordering the second volume, as well. It's nice to have all the columns collected and in one place so I can refer back to them.

Look on page 181, You'll find an advertisement for the outfit you're a part off.....I like that part.
Tell us what you think of that, okay

But my best part;  You will also find a story on the Santa Fe Trail, and its told in a way that I had never heard it told before, some excellent reading in this issue, a look at the demographics and economic challenges, along with a bit on Paddleboats, and even the 20 mule team Freight Wagons.....new to me and terribly interesting.
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 07:11:37 AM »
Hey Russ. The TMA ad is great. I saw it immediately and was pleased to have it in the magazine. I just forgot to mention it in my first post. Do we have a way to track responses that come from the ad? Do we know how effective it is in getting new members?

And I thoroughly enjoyed the article about the Santa Fe Trail. The piece on Comanche Lances was also good...loved the historical part.

I might have to break down and subscribe. It would be one magazine I would actually read.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 02:57:13 AM »
Hey Russ. The TMA ad is great. I saw it immediately and was pleased to have it in the magazine. I just forgot to mention it in my first post. Do we have a way to track responses that come from the ad? Do we know how effective it is in getting new members?

And I thoroughly enjoyed the article about the Santa Fe Trail. The piece on Comanche Lances was also good...loved the historical part.

I might have to break down and subscribe. It would be one magazine I would actually read.

:hairy  I totally agree, it is well written for a Magazine.
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 12:33:03 PM »
Ads really need to be identified in order to be effective.  A suggestion would be by adding something to the return address:
The easiest way to do this is TMA, 123 4th Street, Dept ML (for Muzzleloader) or 123 4th Street Dept MB (for Muzzle Blast), etc.  Probably 25% of the people will not bother to put in the Dept. part, but the other 75% will.

For this to do any good, you will need to keep records on just how many responses you get from each source, how many dollars you get from each source, etc.  From there you can expand your research by including a brief questionnaire with their new welcoming package, etc.  You could find out their age, sex, marital status, degree of interest, flint or perc shooter, and the list goes on.  An interesting demographic can be developed from the answers.

We did this several times with our customers, and generally, people don't mind giving basic information, especially if the questions are broad based.  So, ask generally not what their income is but ask for 10,000-25,000;  25,000 - 50,000; 50,000 - 75,000 and so on.  Or whatever.  Ranges seem to work better than specifics.

A final thought on advertising.  Placing an ad in a general interest sporting magazine is good for the bottom line of the publisher, but sucks for the advertiser.  An ad in American Rifleman is wasted money for us.  An ad in Muzzle Blasts is money much better spent.  FWIW, I have had better success with the classified section than with display ads.  The reason being is that people gloss over display ads but will read the classified ones.  Why, i have no clue.

Finally, the best advertising is if you have someone who can place a written article in the magazine rather than a display advertisement.  That costs nothing and is guaranteed to get results that a display ad won't.

OK, there you go, Advertising 101.  Tomorrow there will be a brief test.  Be prepared.

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 10:42:37 PM »
Thanks,John. you are spot on. Sounds like you have more experience in advertising than I do, but I know from experience that an article gets far better results than a paid ad, and that the more focused we can get in targeting the right demographics, the better the results.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 12:09:16 AM »
Yep, Mrs. Smoke and I attended a prestigious school on advertising.  It was called the School of Hard Knocks and Wasted Advertising Dollars.  No matter how much I wanted some ads to succeed - they bombed.  Why you might ask?  It was simply bad placement of ads in general sporting magazines.  People subscribing to Vole Hunters Unlimited could really care less about an ad for a  muzzleloading rifle intended for African Big and Dangerous Game.  Hah.  Kinda a joke, but the idea comes through.
So, the bottom line is you need to know your audience and target the ad for the demographics of the magazine.  Then you get results.
John

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 08:28:51 AM »
It's true for advertising just like it's true for hunting...You can use a big ol' scatter gun and send a lot of pellets downrange, and some of them might get you a hit. Or, like we often did in the Marines, you can "spray and pray." That's usually good for making folks keep their heads down. But if you want to put meat on the table, known your game, put yourself in the right position, aim straight and gently squeeze off a single round. The results should be "one shot, one kill." It works the same way for advertising.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 06:02:52 PM »
Or, like we often did in the Marines, you can "spray and pray."

And here I always thought jar-heads were meticulous about one shot, one kill whilst the Army hunkered down as far as they could get into their steel pot, stick the rifle out and let 'r rip in the direction of the enemy.  What a let down!  :lol sign

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 06:37:17 PM »
Ahh, but while all that spraying and praying is going on, you are moving forward while all the heads are down. Ooh Rah.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 12:35:04 AM »
Ooh Rah indeed! Never stop moving toward the bad guys...it's in our DNA...not to mention it is drilled into us from day one...besides, most of us are more afraid of the Gunny than anything in front of us...lol
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan