Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: SENECA RUN?  (Read 546 times)

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
SENECA RUN?
« on: April 26, 2019, 10:11:33 AM »
I've  got to ask, what exactly is a Seneca Run? I did my first woods walk last month and loved it. Seneca run sounds like it might be similar.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: SENECA RUN?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 12:10:26 PM »
I don't want to speak out'a turn here with the wrong info, but I think it's an NMLRA event?

Out here in the west we run what we call the "Mountain Man Run" and these can vary from just about anything. The ones I did in the past were timed events... Let me see if I remember my setup;

At the word "Go"

1. Run up and set a trap - move on
2. Shoot at a gong - move on
3. Shoot at a gong - move on
4. Throw your hawk (twice) - retreive it - move on
5. Shoot at a gong - move on
6. Shoot at a gong - move on
7. Run back to the trap you set at the beginning / pick up stick / trigger the trap / time ends / points tallied with penalties for misses...

Folks liked this event at the Rendezvous we use to hold at Fort Robinson State Park.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Spotted Bull

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 12:50:25 PM »
We have done similar events, but also included knife throwing and even archery. My rotund physique and lack of cardio conditioning always kept me from doing the actual "run" part, but walking it still got me points!

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 02:21:37 PM »
That sounds like a blast!!! Like Bull said, I'd  jog rather than run. Throw in a Bull whip event and that would cover all my "Archaic " weapons.

:hairy
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 06:24:00 PM »
The Seneca runs that my club has put on include the trap setting while holding your gun, hawk & knife throw, shooting from a horse ( a 55 gallon drum suspended with chains from two trees) pistol shots and fire starting with flint & steel.  Sadly, our contingent of BP shooters is getting long in the tooth, so times of the event are getting longer as more shooters opt to walk the course.  I must admit, I enjoyed the runs, especially after the event.  I was amazed at the amount of gear that got lost during the run.  I have found cappers, measures, horn spout stoppers, flints, steels nipple & touch hole picks, jags, worms, short starters, ball blocks, balls, a roll of patching, patch knives and caps.  All these items usually wind up on the blanket for the next shoot.  Surprisingly, it seems that there is no advantage in using a smooth bore over a rifle in this event.

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 07:31:28 PM »
Hey FYR. Your comment reminded me of a fella I met at an OVPR (Olde Virginia Primitive Riflemen 'Vous about 30 years ago. He had competed in a Seneca Run, and when he arrived at the last gong the entire camp heard him yell..."NO BALLS! I GOT NO BALLS! I'VE LOST MY BALLS!!!

Needless to say his primitive name was forever changed...don't know if he ever found the missing balls...but "No Balls" knows how easy it is to lose critical possibles during a Seneca Run.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 02:54:08 AM »
Hey FYR. Your comment reminded me of a fella I met at an OVPR (Olde Virginia Primitive Riflemen 'Vous about 30 years ago. He had competed in a Seneca Run, and when he arrived at the last gong the entire camp heard him yell..."NO BALLS! I GOT NO BALLS! I'VE LOST MY BALLS!!!

Needless to say his primitive name was forever changed...don't know if he ever found the missing balls...but "No Balls" knows how easy it is to lose critical possibles during a Seneca Run.

:hairy   :lol sign  :lol sign  :bow
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 10:54:18 AM »
"No Balls"

:lol sign :laffing :bow

Now that's funny!!!

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska