Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Mailing a caplock  (Read 996 times)

Offline Indiana

• TMA Forum Member
Mailing a caplock
« on: March 05, 2009, 05:17:53 PM »
Hi guys

Are there any special things I have to do to mail a caplock muzzleloader or can I just ship it regular USPS?  One of my high school teachers gave me an old .45 TC Hawken capper because he broke the stock on it back in the 80's and never got it fixed.  Well I call up TC and they are going to replace the stock for free, all I need to do is mail it to them.  

So what do you guys do when you mail a gun?

Thanks,
Indy
"Damn the sword! When Virginia wanted a sword, I gave her one. Now she sends me a toy when I require bread!” -George Rogers Clark

Offline Bruce Bogart

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 05:38:23 PM »
Make sure it's not loaded, pack it well to protect it, label it as machined parts, insure it, and UPS it! Thats my thought. Others may differ!
Bruce

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 05:44:47 PM »
Just take it to the Post Office.
You don't have to declare it, or anything like that, but they will ask you the routine questions of; Does the package contain anything prohibited? Anything Flammable? etc, etc,

You may end up with a case of "Sticker Shock" once they tell you the cost, but that is mostly due to the length. ($40+ is about what you're looking at.)
I insure everything I ship USPS, and although many feel it is not necessary, I have had toooo much go south on me over the years.

Insurance is important IMHO, and for the price, $4.60 on a $250 item, it is well worth it.....Ohio Joe and myself went through this last year, and although it is something of a hassle, it is well worth the money.

Maybe Joe will see this and chime in.........

Hope this helps a little bit.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 05:45:46 PM »
Indy
Be sure you put extra padding on the hammer area that can protrude through the package
I think the USPS used 600# gorillas as package handlers
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 07:36:32 PM »
I would also encourage putting enough insurance to cover loss or breakage. Sooner or later UPS, USPS and Fed=x will get you. I had never had a problem with UPS untill last year.They managed to drop the pakage off at the wrong house and we never could get those people to give it back. (a whole long and sordid story). about 4 years ago I traded for a Navy Arms double 12 ga. SxS in excellant condition. It was well secured and pakaged. Fed-X managed to drop a round shaft end wise on the pakage and splintered the stock.. And not to be left out the USPS managed to lose 2 pakages of books and papers. SOoooo put lots of insuranceon it.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 08:34:07 PM »
Put the [size=150]stock only [/size]in a box that fits, pad it well, then simply mail it.  Take off all metal, send only the stock and you'll keep the weight down.

If, for some unfathomable reason, T-C  wants the entire rifle,  take the barrel off the stock, pack as above.  Shortens the box, lowers the postage.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline Indiana

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 08:38:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  

Unfortunately, TC DOES want the whole gun to make sure everything lines up right in the new stock, or so they say.  Oh well, it'll still be cheaper than buying a new stock! :D
"Damn the sword! When Virginia wanted a sword, I gave her one. Now she sends me a toy when I require bread!” -George Rogers Clark

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 09:14:38 PM »
Indiana . i ship UPS all the time , no issues . long rifles run  25-35 bucks . no issues .

now you may get a stupid clerk who will rais a fit about  it being a firearm .  i actualy have more problems with  that through the USPO . thats why i dont send that way .

to stp this issue with UPS i called the HQ and had them send me a letter stating the rules . copy it and take it with you .
 you will have no problem shipping it as one complete piece . just make sure its un loaded

Subject
Shipping

Discussion Thread
Response (Ana Vega) 07/27/2007 02:01 PM
Dear Charles,

Thank you for your inquiry. There are no restrictions when shipping a muzzle loading rifle. The definition of an Antique Firearm:

For a firearm to be considered "Antique", it must be manufactured in or before 1898 or any replica, muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder or a black powder substitute and cannot use fixed ammunition.
Antique firearms, as defined, may be shipped via the UPS system, and not required to be shipped via UPS's Next Day Air service.

Antique firearms, as defined, that meet the above criteria as an Antique Firearm, are acceptable for shipment at The UPS Store, Commercial Counters, and UPS Authorized Shipping Outlets. Antique firearms, as defined, are not limited to and from the authorized parties listed in the table: "Who Can Ship & Receive Handguns/Firearms?"*

Definition of a Firearm:

Any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designated to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive
The frame or receiver of any such weapon
Any firearm muffler or firearm silencer

Firearms, as defined, or parts of a firearm will not be accepted for shipment at The UPS Store, any Commercial Counter, or UPS Authorized Shipping Outlets. Antique Firearms or replicas of antique firearms made in or before 1898 are accepted.

Automatic weapons are not authorized to ship via UPS services. In addition, there are multiple restrictions and requirements associated with transporting firearms in the UPS system.

*The following list explains who can send and receive shipments of firearms through UPS:

A Licensed Collector can ship firearms to the following receivers:

- Licensed Collectors

- Licensed Gun dealer

- Gun Manufacturer (as a result of repair or adjustment only)

- Law Enforcement Agency (not a police officer at home)

A Gun Manufacturer can ship firearms to the following receivers:

- Gun Manufacturer

- Licensed Gun Dealer

- Licensed Collector

- Individual (as a result of repair or adjustment only)

A Licensed Gun Dealer can ship firearms to the following receivers:

- Licensed Gun dealer
- Licensed Collector
- Gun Manufacturer (as a result of repair or adjustment only)

An Individual can only ship firearms to a Gun Manufacturer for repair or adjustment only. This is contingent on the individual not being prohibited by Federal, State or local law to ship firearms.

Please be aware that the shipment of a firearm from an individual to an individual is prohibited in the UPS system.

Additional information regarding the shipment of firearms in the UPS system is available at the following links:

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resour ... earms.html
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resour ... svl=Footer

Please contact us if you need any additional assistance.

Ana Vega
UPS Customer Service

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 09:24:39 PM »
This certainly makes it clear that UPS welcomes the shipment of muzzleloaders. I think those agents who claim UPS will not accept muzzleloaders have no idea of this co. policy. Thanks for posting the letter.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 09:46:55 PM »
have sent and had sent to me several muzzleloaders-FedEx or Post Office-had a friend have a Harpers'Ferry 1804(built by "Pappy) show up to his door with busted lock via UPS-they tried real hard to make it "not their fault"...
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »
I've also shipped firearms (muzzleloaders and others) many times.  There are no restrictions on muzzleloaders.  I've never had a problem.  Do not ship through one of those "shipping stores" like Mail Box Plus or anything like that.  They overcharge! Sometimes as much as double what it should cost.  If you don't have a UPS Center or Hub in the area then just go to the post office.
Member #420 Expires 3/1/13

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 10:04:10 PM »
Charlie I wish I had that letter on several different occasions. Personally, I have had nothing but grief lately from UPS when trying to ship muzzleloaders.

The local UPS has flat turned me down when I told them I was shipping a Muzzleloader.
Before I moved here,  the UPS in Shelton shipped two guns in 2006, and a bunch before that when I was selling off inventory   with no problems at all, and then, after that, it was nothing but grief so I turned to the Post Office, which turned out to be a little more expensive.....

I noticed the date of that letter being 7/27/07... I wonder if there has been some kind of change around  that date because my last attempt with UPS was made in Jan 2007, and I swore to heck with 'em, ' cause it ain't worth it.

Now having said all that, I have to say I have not tried UPS since the last time which was about Jan 2007, IIRC....maybe, just maybe, things are a little different right now. I don't know.

You can bet I will be checking here locally come tomorrow. And, I'm going to have a copy of Captchee's letter in my pocket when I start asking questions.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 10:26:51 PM »
russ , i have shipped 4 rifles and 1 pistol in the last 2 months . that i know , there has been no change to the UPS rules as such . I also think it depends on the hub . you have to ship through a hub , the stores  I have been told , cant take them .
 as i said i take that letter every time i go down to ship . each time there seems to be someone new . i hand then the letter , they call a manager  who comes in and  reads the letter  and says no problem .
I also always insure  AND i tell the person filling out the form that i exspect 100% condition  on dilivary  anything else will rsult in me filing a claim  For damage  based on  replacment cost .  I can say that I have never ,,, Knock on wood , had to file a claim . but i also go over board on the packaging  and in some cases  i pu the piece in a scabbard  when i have exstras that the piece will fit into .
 i also have been known to  mumify  the piece in carpet pad.
 the added wieght IMO is no consiquense  to protecting the  rifle

if you go to the UPS web site you can send them an email .
c opy the letter and ask them if there has been any changes . .  when i got that one . they replied to me within 24 hours .
 I also had an older letter dated 2004 .
 that time i called  and talked to a  rep . i ask them to e-mail me a copy of the rule so that i could take it with me to the  hub . they had that e-mail to me in 5 minutes ..

i would ask though that  when you get the reply , you post it here so we can have an updated  letter .
 now i do know that there is a couple states that they cannot send to without going to an FFL   if i recall correctly they are NY and NJ

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 10:28:50 PM »
Quote from: "RussB"
Just take it to the Post Office.
You don't have to declare it, or anything like that, but they will ask you the routine questions of; Does the package contain anything prohibited? Anything Flammable? etc, etc,

You may end up with a case of "Sticker Shock" once they tell you the cost, but that is mostly due to the length. ($40+ is about what you're looking at.)
I insure everything I ship USPS, and although many feel it is not necessary, I have had toooo much go south on me over the years.

Insurance is important IMHO, and for the price, $4.60 on a $250 item, it is well worth it.....Ohio Joe and myself went through this last year, and although it is something of a hassle, it is well worth the money.

Maybe Joe will see this and chime in.........

Hope this helps a little bit.

Uncle Russ...

Yep!  Insure it for full value.  Don't be a nice guy and trust that your product will be safely delivered undamaged, (as Russ & I found out)...
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 10:36:58 PM »
yep  what joe said .
 i should i think clerify here . I dont  insure for  cost . I  insure for value . there is a diffrance .
 cost is what the rifle  was worth .IE what  it was paid for as
value is what it would cost to replace it
 i  recently sent a lancaster  to a fella in Florida .
  I  built the rifle for 1000.00 . that was the cost .
 but i also had 245 hours into the rifle  @ 15  an hour "cheep  mind you " that comes to 3675.00 + parts .

what you have to be carful of though is that both UPS and USPO have a insured limit .
 as such  when im shipping new guns , I insure for the max  alloud  or actual value , what ever is greater .

another thing about USPO  that folks need to be carful of . if you dont diclair the package  and its inspected  and deemed  by that inspector ,  not to be allouable , no mater if true or not . you will be in deep . its also up to to you to prove  that  the piece is allowable . not the other way around .
 so always be truthful . dont hide anything  dont ship it  as declaired  metal  parts or fittings . be honest  100% of the time