Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Mailing a caplock  (Read 999 times)

Offline Indiana

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 06:13:38 PM »
Well I'm going to try it at the post office.  We don't have a UPS or fedex hub around here so if I wanted to go that route I'd have to wait a week and a half until I am back in the city at school.  They know me pretty well at the post office and I had them look up the regulations on ml's in their hand book just to double check so I don't think Ill get any grief.  I probably just won't mention im shipping a ml.  You don't have to declare it, do you?
"Damn the sword! When Virginia wanted a sword, I gave her one. Now she sends me a toy when I require bread!” -George Rogers Clark

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 06:23:53 PM »
Indiana, it sounds like a recording every time you mail a package... Does the package contain any this, that, the other, and whatever. If you're not shipping anything that most of us already know is illegal, you just say, "no" and they slap it on the scale...they pull out their little handy / dandy Boy Scout measuring tape, do their little trick, and ask you just how you want it shipped....

It's all a walk in the Park....except for paying the bill.     :shock:

I'm like you when it comes to having a UPS hub nearby...It just ain't here.

I live in a little "Po-Dunk" town where you can't get anywhere from here, you have to go someplace else to start....but I sure do enjoy it!

Uncle Russ..
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 06:27:17 PM »
Indiana-that fancy pistol I posted awhile back was sent from Tenn via the Post Office with no problems...the builder showed the guy at the counter the pistol(small town, he wanted to see the fancy gun!)-taped it up and shipped it...he also put a huge "value" on it in case of loss/damage...hope this helps,Mitch
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 11:22:01 PM »
MAny clerks don't the difference between guns.  They just hear "gun" and go bananas.  I have a friend who owns one of those Mail Boxes Plus joints and he mails my muzzleloaders for me no problem.  Once when he was gone I had trouble with a new clerk, but got it straightened out when I had the clerk call UPS.
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.
General Omar N. Bradley

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 12:39:30 AM »
One advantage to living in a small logging town where the post office is classified as rural (no home delivery)is that they will accept almost anything,and are much more knowledgeable than the larger city POs.I have shipped muzzleloaders no problem they don't even blink,the local UPS is another story they only hire people who can break an iron ball.

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 12:52:05 AM »
Package size is why I suggest taking the barrel out of the stock.  Pack very well so things are not bashing about in the box.  I also take the lock out of the stock then pack it in a heavy ziploc bag with  thescrews, side plate or washers, and wedge(s) in it, then tape it to the stock which is taped securely to the barrel.

As long as you are not shipping contraband, [size=150]Keep'a  you big'a mout' shut about what's in'a  da box!![/size]  It is none of their business and they really do not want to know.  They'll ask if there's anything liquid, hazardous, perishable, Yada, Yada.  Say "No." That's it.  Then they ask how you want it sent and do you want insurance.   Insure it for full value. Other than that, [size=150] Keep your pie hole shut ![/size].

More people make huge   unnecessary trouble for themsleves by jacking their jaws.  [size=150]Shut up! [/size]If you simply must tell someone, tell your dog when you are home.  [size=200]Do not answer questions not asked, volunteer no information, and use one word answers!    Capiche?[/size]

If you keep quiet you will not be there a full hour arguing with a mousy clerk who has a tiny bit of authority, no boy friend, and an IQ half her bra size while the huge ticked off guy in a hurry  behind you is getting mad enough to tear your  head off and yell dirty words down your dead neck hole.

One last bit of hard earned wisdom:   [size=150]"KEEP QUIET!"[/size]

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.