Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Rate quality of barrels  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Stryker

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 09:41:38 AM »
I have 2 Rice, a Colerain and a GM. They all shoot better than I can hold them.  I will say I am surprised at all the GM barrels I see on competition rifles at Friendship. Maybe those folks know something we don't.
Mark
Lord, Make Me Fast and Accurate

Marine Corps Assoc. - Life Member
Disabled American Veterans - Life Member

Offline Mike R

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 08:59:31 AM »
Quote from: "Stryker"
I have 2 Rice, a Colerain and a GM. They all shoot better than I can hold them.  I will say I am surprised at all the GM barrels I see on competition rifles at Friendship. Maybe those folks know something we don't.

for competitive target shooting it is hard to beat a heavy straight octagon barrel made by any of several companies.  GM makes a good barrel. I was present [twice] when a gunmaker friend delivered new rifles to clients at his shop/range.  He has them shoot them on site to check them out--both had GM barrels, one a .45 and other a .50.  With brand new guns and guessed at 1st loads, both shooters made cloverleaf groups at 50 yds.
Ch Mbr#53 ,dues in Feb

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 05:50:50 PM »
No experience with Rayle. But I've shot GM, and Colerain in the past couple weeks more than I care to clean em! I had no troubles or issues with either of em.

In Fact I thought all five rifles I was playin with shot extremely well and were VERY accurate.

As far as sought after?? This is my so. mo. And this lil baby has a 48" Swamped barrel made by ol man Rice hisself....... This rifle with this barrel in my very INEXPERIENCED knowledge and short amount of time I've been in to flintlocks is ...well I dunno if it can be beat or not. not enough experience to say that.......... what I do know is it's an absolute tack driver. And thats comin from a fella thats peered down a many a centerfire at some extremely far away targets.

But I'm gonna gamble and say Barrel choice is gonna be like bow choice with trad bowhunters........ ask 30 people and you'll get 28 different answers.
It's not what you've done. It's how you did it.
TMA member #516 ex. 11/16/10

Offline jtwodogs

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 10:21:38 PM »
She shore is pretty, and long as a school boys dream
#423 renew 3/14/10
George Washington
" It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible."
 May 12, 1779

Offline riverrat

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 06:32:53 PM »
Quote from: "Captchee"

now if you speaking of a barrel made by old man Getz or Rice , now thats another subject all to gether  as IMO those are the barrels that are sought after
That's not what I am hearing  at the CLA shows.  John Getz is probably making the best barrels ever.
TMA Charter Member #91
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
PA Federation of BP Shooters
DAV Life Member
PA Longbow Assoc
NMLRA

Offline Mule Brain

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 01:25:17 PM »
I have a CVA Kentucky, of course with the Spanish barrel, that never stops amazing me!

I know there are many good barrel manufactures, but this just goes to show you that cheap can work as well!

I would bank more on round ball size, rate of twist, lube, powder measure, patch size  etc....
Keep Your Powder Dry, And Your Back To The Wind!