Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Volume versus weight  (Read 1087 times)

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
Volume versus weight
« on: March 12, 2009, 12:09:49 PM »
Forgive this question if it is dumb. :-)  I cannot figure out the real difference between black powder weight and volume. My reading material (Fadala) emphasises black powder being measured by volume and not weight. So I figured there must be some big difference between the two. Well, my little brass factory powder measure set to hold 100grains by volume can be filled level and then dumped onto my scales and still actually weighs almost EXACTLY 100 grains!(99.7)  So what is the big deal??  Why is "volume" so strongly emphasised?  Am I missing something here?  The volume by volume and the volume weighed of Goex 2F is for all practical purposes identical in my tests. Somebody educate me here and tell me what I am missing or doing wrong.

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 12:18:52 PM »
Mark
Weigh the same volume of Pyrodex and see what you get
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline sse

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 12:19:52 PM »
Mark - If I were you, I'd just forget about the weight measurement.  Since everything depends on a volume measurement of a specific granulation (e.g. FFg, FFFg, etc.), and we don't take scales to the range or woods, there is no reason to be concerned about the weight of a given charge.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 12:45:48 PM »
I did read a similar example where Pyrodex weighed significantly different by volume versus weight but I do not shoot Pyrodex so I kinda put that out of my head. I could in fact just forget about weight but there seems to be something worthwhile in a little EDUCATION so I thought I would ask the experts. We may not take scales to the woods but I doubt if many of us just dump in a handful and hope  for the best.  I reckon I just want to know that my charge is not too heavy or too light and I was wondering WHY the whole shooting world outside black powder measures their powder by weight and BPer shooters still use volume. It's a simple curiosity question????

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 12:56:18 PM »
Mark,
The concept of dumping a handful of powder and hoping for the best is more or less that of English big game hunters in Africa with their big bore guns in the 1800's.
The common word of wisdom here is to measure your charges, whether it be with an antler measure or an adjustable brass measure or whatever.
There is the thought of consistency in loading.  As such, a measure of whatever sort will give you a pretty consistent charge, which is what we are after.
The question of why does the rest of the shooting community weigh their charges while we steadfastly continue to do volume is simple.  With our firearms, if we go over by a little, it's not going to make all that great of a difference in pressures.  That cannot be said for these new fangled cartridge guns and their stinky smokeless powders, can it?
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 01:32:57 PM »
I think your confusion comes from our common use of a volumetric measure to load with that has been sized to hold a specific weight of black powder.  Adjustable powder measures work because a specific weight of powder occupies a specific volume.  

The term "grain" is in reference to the weight and weight only.  There is no volume that correlates to "grain" since a grain of every material that can be made ganular will occupy a different volume.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 01:41:07 PM »
I think old snake-eyes will stick to my brass volume measure.
Too old to change now.
snake-eyes :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 01:46:02 PM »
Quote from: "jbullard1"
Mark

Jerry,
        What is Pyrodex???? :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 02:14:18 PM »
Quote from: "snake eyes"
Quote from: "jbullard1"
Mark

Jerry,
        What is Pyrodex???? :shake

Is is a propellant I used to use before I became obsessed with this Mad Sport  :lol
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 02:23:41 PM »
I appreciate your patient answers. I think I am seeing that black powder is a bit more forgiving than anything I have ever needed to "measure."  Before I figured out that 100 grains of 2F was still 100grains on the scale, I was paranoid.....paranoid in my experimentation that I would radically overcharge trusting the volumetric measure and not really knowing how much it weighed!  I guess that was a stupid newbie stumble. It really only bothered me when I experimented on up around 200 grains at which point I began to worry a little and want to make sure 200 grains did not translate into WAY TOO MUCH by weight.  Since weight does not seem to matter with this black powder thing, I will do as you advise and just trust my brass measure and the numbers on it and leave the scales alone and see what the paper target and my shoulder tell me about my loads. :-)  Thanks again.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 02:36:59 PM »
Quote from: "mark davidson"
I did read a similar example where Pyrodex weighed significantly different by volume versus weight but I do not shoot Pyrodex so I kinda put that out of my head. I could in fact just forget about weight but there seems to be something worthwhile in a little EDUCATION so I thought I would ask the experts. We may not take scales to the woods but I doubt if many of us just dump in a handful and hope  for the best.  I reckon I just want to know that my charge is not too heavy or too light and I was wondering WHY the whole shooting world outside black powder measures their powder by weight and BPer shooters still use volume. It's a simple curiosity question????

Mark, although "you" don't use the faux powder (Pyrodex and etc.) there are lots of muzzleloader shooters that do,.... now,... put yourself in the position of a "retailer" selling (faux and "REAL") blackpowder for muzzleloaders, and it soon becomes a matter of "liability". ;)
The pressures generated by "all the powders" (real blackpowder and the fakes) are comparable and relative by "volume" instead of weight.

HTH
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline CowboyCS

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.stolzergunsmithing.com/
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 03:17:13 PM »
I was wondering WHY the whole shooting world outside black powder measures their powder by weight and BPer shooters still use volume. It's a simple curiosity question????
The answer you're looking for is not in the BP by volume, it's in the smokeless by weight. With a lot(most) smokeless powders a change of 1 or 2 grains can make a huge difference in pressure and velocity. With some smokeless a 1 or 2 grain difference can be catastrophic. But with BP 1 or 2 grains is not even noticeable without some fairly serious pressure measuring equipment.
The Bill Of Right - Void were prohibited by law.
Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 03:27:14 PM »
RB, I get it now; it's the lawyers' fault! :-)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 03:51:25 PM »
RB, I get it now; it's the lawyers' fault! :-)

Weeeelll kind'a,.... you must understand that blackpowder (the "real" stuff) has been around for hundreds of years (unlike "smokeless" and the faux substitutes), With the introduction of smokeless which generates a much higher pressure per-grain then real blackpowder, it became very easy to blow any muzzleloading firearm up.

Fast forward to the introduction of the modern "substitute" powders for muzzleloaders and although they kind'a "smoke" like the real stuff, they are still a "flammable solid" just like the cartridge rifles use, and they weigh less then real blackpowder (given the same volume).

The liablity of producing and selling a type of (faux) powder for muzzleloaders, (that weighed less per-volume than the "real" stuff) became a legal issue and all loads reccomended by the producers of the faux powders are strickly by "volume" measured with your humble little adjustable measure instead of scales,.... so yep,.. the lawyers dunnit. :laffing
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Voyageur

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 04:57:56 PM »
8)  "Doc"
Artillerymen Do It With A Bang
Artillery the King of Battle
St. Barbara-Pray for us !

NRA Endowment Life

Charter Member #104-10/22/15