Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Volume versus weight  (Read 1088 times)

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 05:04:40 PM »
Too many people get too hung up on numbers. Once you've found a load that your gun likes, stick with it. The number on the side of your measure doesn't mean a thing. It could say 80gr, or 235 or whatever. That number is just a reference, and doesn't mean squat.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 05:13:21 PM »
Actually , you have a very good an logical question mark .
 Lets see if I can attempt to explain it to you .
 See BP, unlike smokless , starts out as one BIG grain .  Its then crushed and sifted  through screens to  be sized . There is no consistent size or shape . Again unlike smokes which has a distinct size shape and weight to each grain .
 So lets say your weighing out  2 F and its showing  that  100 grains weighs about the same as  100 grains by volume .
 Now replace that 2 F with 3 F , 4F  or 1 F .
 Now what you will find is that by volume , they all weigh in at the same weight.
BUT   here is the kicker . That weight., volume to volume or weight to weight    will produce higher pressure  because the burn rate is faster  even though it all came from the same original brick of powder .
4F will produce un real pressures at 100 grains . While 1F at the same volume  will produce  less pressure then 2 F
 The other thing that happens is the mix  itself weighs differently .
See with smokeless , a given powder , be it red dot  or what have you , has  a specific chemical make up that  dictates its weight .
 Black powder is not that way because of the charcoal . See different powder  use different woods to  make charcoal / swiss uses a given hardwood . Goex a  different one  and elephant and kick , still different ones . These woods , by their make up have different  weights and densities . As such  the powder can weigh more  and in fact in some cases like with swiss , actually  produce high pressures then the same weight an volume as goex . Synthetic are not this way  as they are made with chemicals  much like smokeless is made .

Now that all being said .  Some folks do weigh each charge . These folks are normally long range tournament shooters must have every load exactly the same . However the ones I know do not use the same process as you would use for say reloading cartridges . What they do is once they find a volume load that works well . They then compress the powder and re figure the volume . They then weigh that volume  and record it .
 Then on the next shot they  do the same thing again  so as to insure that everything is exactly the same as  before . Basically they do everything in their power to ensure  absolute minute to minute consistence . So whats left  is to  control their own human inconsistency
 But even then  these folks are for the most part starting out with a   volume of powder  so as to define the weight

I would also agree with the others here . Unless your going to carry pre measured charges . There is no reason to go through the hassle of weighing charges   unless you  shooting for a string at 40 rods or better

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
vol/wgt
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 05:48:58 PM »
Hey Cap, I have a friend who weighs every charge for his rifle.......poor guy, bought the one that uses smokeless powder! That was entertaining watching him trickle sml  powder onto a digital scale at the range for each shot.  Told him he shoulda bought a proper muzzleloader. ;)  Like yours  and other  members explanations.  Good to know. regards GH.
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 07:49:35 PM »
I have always been a little taken aback by the individual who swears up and down that the ideal load for his xyz smokepole is 73 1/2 grains.I look at my measure and mumble something like "gee thats exactly what I use"then I leave.

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 08:22:12 PM »
Quote from: "mark davidson"
Before I figured out that 100 grains of 2F was still 100grains on the scale, I was paranoid.....paranoid in my experimentation that I would radically overcharge trusting the volumetric measure and not really knowing how much it weighed!   Thanks again.

Paranoia is the unreasoning fear of something that isn't there.  On the other hand just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

Test fire your gun(s) until you get a charge/patch/lube/ball combination that is accurate enough to make you happy.  Then stick to it.   The best, if not easiest, method is to make up a fixed measure for each gun.  Then stay as best you can with that load.  Don't concern yourself with what the magnumschootzenboomer crowd do, use your own load.

With my .50 I started  by firing five shots at the smallest load in my Dixie adjustable measure. According to Dixie that was forty grains. Then I wiped the bore and fired 5 more at the next increment on the measure, supposedly five grains.  I kept doing that until I got to the load that caused groups to open up.  Then I went back to the one which was most accurate.   After that, I tried different patches, lubes and powders.   I now shoot approximately 60 grains of Goex 3F, a .490" cast RB in a .015" pillow ticking patch greased with pure lard.   That is the load that works in my rifle.  

I say approximately because I weigh a charge out of each new can of powder with my measure.  It varies as much astwo grains either way for a variance of four grains with some cans of Goex 3F.   So don't get all hung up on weight.   The volume is much more important.

After I got a load that made all the holes as close together as I could, I went to work on the sights, filing and hammering until all those close together holes now go into the middle of a six inch bullseye at fifty yards.  I have to hold over a hand width at a hundred, and a handwidth and a half at 125.    Any further off and I'll try to get closer.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 09:41:02 AM »
Gentlemen, and I do not use that term loosely, I do appreciate your time and explaination. I feel better now....paranoia subsided. :-) I got a new volume powder measure on the way here from TOW that will measure 40grains to 200 grains. I will use it exclusively and trust it and work up and down the increments till I find what my gun really likes and that will be that. I am kinda standardizing on one caliber and one diameter ball and patch to keep it simple.  I got almost a case of 2F all Goex so all I gotta do is find a volume charge this baby likes and I will be ready to make smoke and meat for many years to come. Thanks again for the explaination and "edjumercation." :-)

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 08:01:50 PM »
And that's what it's all about Mark.  Enjoy. :hairy
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132