Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: GPR barrels  (Read 655 times)

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
GPR barrels
« on: March 15, 2009, 05:18:42 PM »
Why does Lyman just offer the GPR in the heavy caibers. I wonder why they didn`t make more drop in`s in smaller caibers.  Mine a .50 cal and as much as I like it the dang thing weighs a ton. I was thinking about getting a GM 32 or maybe a 36. The only trouble is with the 15/16 barrel it`ll probably weigh as much as my 50.  I wonder which of the production guns offer the most options for drop in`s ?

Burch
Member #471 Expires 5/16/09
If I Gotta Explain It You wouldn`t Understand It

Offline Voyageur

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 06:09:33 PM »
I would suppose simple economics would dictate that you make the two most popular bore sizes that are currently in use. While I personally don't feel the GPR is too heavy, I enjoy that comfortable feel of a that mass of gun. Mine is also a .50 and I am seriously thinking of swapping out with a new .54 Lyman barrel. For the type of accuracy that the original gun supplies I do not understand the need of GM replacements. As for smaller bores such as .36 and .32 as "drop-ins---that gun would get considerably heavier especially with the barrel width as it is now. Alas I don't think there is a solution to your problem.  :?  "Doc"
Artillerymen Do It With A Bang
Artillery the King of Battle
St. Barbara-Pray for us !

NRA Endowment Life

Charter Member #104-10/22/15
"JOIN THE TMA TODAY"

Offline Iktomi

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 09:51:33 AM »
For a given barrel profile, such as 15/16 X 32 as on a GPR, the smaller the caliber, the heavier the barrel.
TMA member #417, expires 2/14/2010

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 01:47:25 PM »
Quote from: "Iktomi"
For a given barrel profile, such as 15/16 X 32 as on a GPR, the smaller the caliber, the heavier the barrel.

Not only that, but incredibly heavier.  Dixie Gun Works catalog has a chart in the back which spells out the weight of octagonal barrels of varying sizes with bores of varying diameters.

If you really want a smaller caliber rifle, drop ins are easily made up.  I have a .40 in my Seneca which requires a 13/16" barrel.  It was .45, but I had that barrel reamed to .50 smooth.   I also have a .45 factory barrel to go into my T-C Hawken which requires a 15/16" barrel.  Years ago I made up a .30 barrel to go into the same gun.  To get the  15/16" .30 barrel to balance, I had to cut it to 24".

Before anyone asks, yes it is a muzzleloading .30 cal. barrel 15/16" across the flats.  Rifled 1 turn in 48", especially for round balls.   I shoot either .285" cast balls, (Boy ws it fun finding that mold!!) or .27" # 4 buckshot.  Either works as well as the other.   12 gr. 3F Goex for both.  With homemade Tap-O-Cap caps it's nearly free shooting and keeps a kid occupied for hours.

Three Hawks

I strongly advise you to get a small caliber rifle with a slim profile barrel.  You will be much happier for many more years.
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 06:14:39 PM »
Most people probably don't care but the type of gun the Lyman historicaly represents was a heavy gun the LGP of today would be a light weight in the 1850's

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 06:50:06 PM »
I wonder how bad i`d screw it up wacking the barrel down to 28"
Member #471 Expires 5/16/09
If I Gotta Explain It You wouldn`t Understand It