Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: shot snake substitute  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Lady of the Woods

• TMA Forum Member
shot snake substitute
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 12:29:28 PM »
hoping to keep this thread alive as I am in the process of deciding which way to go with my own shotgunning. A friend of mine also rolls paper shot cartridges for hunting, which sounds pretty good but then what do you carry the cartidges in? I guess I could use a  cartridge box? it works pretty well for reenactment, don't see why it wouldn't work for this application as well? hmm? thoughts?

Was just thinkin bout what Fistmil wrote: wouldn't it be cool if you could take a paper shot cartidge, pour your measure of powder, drop in the over powder card, yer shot, n then just bend the paper over top of it all? you could just shove the whole dang thing down the barrel at one time and be ready to rock???

Seems like there must be a huge problem with that or someone woulda said somethin about it already?? I'm guessing the bottom of the paper cartidge would bust out as you were ramming it down the barrel?? dunno? any thougths?

Somehow I just know I'm gonna hate it when someone gives a perfectly obvious answer and I'm gonna prove once again I really am a true blond...
zan
Lady of the Woods
member #358. Exp. 7/1/09.

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 01:05:02 PM »
Lady--methinks I've heard of such things done with one-piece paper thingies. Seem to recall that you need to prick the paper through the touch hole to expose the powder. What I wonder about is whether it leaves paper behind in the breech that you'd have to remove with a worm. Does this sound familiar to those who use powder bags in cannons? Can the paper be treated with some sort of nitrate to make it combustible? Are you then creating a whole different hazard/problem?

I used to carry shot in a leather pouch (w/ antler nozzle and wood stopper) and use the same measure I used to measure powder (same volume powder as shot). I also only carry over-shot cards. Two over the powder, one over the shot. I still wonder if it wasn't the best way to carry shot, rather than my current Irish-headed snake.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393