Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: turkey loads/ shot size  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Skychief

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 10:17:17 PM »
Please share your results with us! :lol:

Offline 62flint

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 07:23:02 PM »
I use 1 1/2 oz of 7 1/2's over 75 grains of 2f.
Then again I have a flask of 4,5,6,7.5 shot that I use for turkey's and squirrels at times.
Don't ask me what the mix is. It is simply old loose shot that I dumped together.
Personaly I don't feel a turkey shot in the head is any harder to kill than a squirrel. Now shot in the body. Thats another thing.
Got flint?

Offline Pete_Sheeran

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 07:22:02 PM »
Captchee,

I like your description "jelly headed toms go nowhere".    I deffinately agree about head and neck shooting the turkeys.  Shot in the meat gets expensive if you have to go to the denist.  Larger shot is easier to find and also gives a little better "reach".  So, I have been using a mix of 2's and B's in my 16 ga. (95 gr. FFg, thick over powder card and greased fiber wad, 1 3/8 oz. shot and over shot card).

[albumimg:25hy6dyx]4917[/albumimg:25hy6dyx]

Got this one 3 weeks ago at 33 yds.  I usually like to shoot them when they throw their necks out when they gobble.  This one was standing up tall trying to see the hen that was purring to him (my box call strapped to my leg).  That neck was way out there.  I suspect that there was only 2 (or 3) shot in the head/neck.

Happy Hunting,   Pete
#185 Expires 4/16/12