Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: PC brass tacks  (Read 864 times)

Offline Iktomi

• TMA Forum Member
PC brass tacks
« on: February 13, 2009, 10:45:48 AM »
I plan on using brass tacks as a decoration on my GPR. TOTW sells 3 types, a cone headed tack, and a low and high domed tack. Is there a style that is appropriate to the 1840's, or is it simply a matter of personal preference?
TMA member #417, expires 2/14/2010

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 12:54:34 PM »
If you go with the low dome you cant go wrong,these tacks have hardened steel wire shanks, if your looking for all brass check out the trunk shoppe? I think thats how they spell shop.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline jtwodogs

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 03:29:26 PM »
Just a note form a pure novice, I saw a GPR that had worn some tacks for a few years, some were broke off in the stock, some shanks had been pulled some had not.
Could have been what I consider one of the ugliest accoutrement's I have ever seen.
I know to each his own,  but how ugly this stock had become. Just make sure you want it before you go through with it.
#423 renew 3/14/10
George Washington
" It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible."
 May 12, 1779

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 04:31:48 PM »
I am certain you are aware of the need of pilot holes when applying tacks to gunstocks but thought I would mention it.Tacks can add to a gun and it can be a fun project, I would use caution where you put them if you have whiskers, shaving is a lot less painfull

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 04:57:43 PM »
I add a 1/4" brass tack for each successful hunt for deer and each shoot won  :shake
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 05:25:33 PM »
Drilling a pilot hole is NECESSARY ! !   Another thing that's necessary is measuring the length of the tack, and where, EEZAKLY, the point will end up.  

Until you've nailed your ramrod in place you don't fully realize the importance of this.

Slightly embarassed ol'

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 06:10:09 PM »
Quote from: "Three Hawks"
Drilling a pilot hole is NECESSARY ! !   Another thing that's necessary is measuring the length of the tack, and where, EEZAKLY, the point will end up.  

Until you've nailed your ramrod in place you don't fully realize the importance of this.

Slightly embarassed ol'

Three Hawks

Very Good Info there Hawk  :shake
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 07:27:27 PM »
I have seen this done to where it was very nice, extremely pleasing to the eye, and actually added to the appearance of the rifle.

I have also seen it done where it made it the rifle look a bit "trashed out", if you know what I mean.

I've never done this, but if I were to do it, I would make sure the measurement between tacks was absolute dead nuts on, and I would try hard not to put too many tacks on the gun, but who says when it's too many??? :shock: .....
As simple as this may seem, to me, it's the two big things that really separates the wheat from the chafe on this project....that and listening to what Three Hawks had to say.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 07:28:50 PM »
I have shortened the shanks on some tacks where the wood depth was marginal I just use sidecutters at an angle to snip them back, I like to make a pattern and check the layout so everything is as it should be before any holes are driled or tacks are set.

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 08:49:12 PM »
Quote from: "tg"
I am certain you are aware of the need of pilot holes when applying tacks to gunstocks but thought I would mention it.Tacks can add to a gun and it can be a fun project, I would use caution where you put them if you have whiskers, shaving is a lot less painfull

Well, this looks pretty decent...
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Iktomi

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 09:25:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'm up to speed on pilot holes and depth of tack shank, I'm not worried about applying them. I'm more concerned about the correct period type of tack.
TMA member #417, expires 2/14/2010

Offline cb

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.wrtcleather.com
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 10:37:14 PM »
I'm more concerned about the correct period type of tack.
To be completely period correct for pre-1870's (when the steel shanks first came on the market based on current documentation) than get the solid brass square tacks from http://www.trunkshoppe.com
Otherwise the solid head brass ones from Crazy Crow and other vendors - low domes are the earlier style with the 5/16" being closest to the most commonly used size in the past

If you do use the Trunk Shop tacks be aware that they are quite soft and the final set needs to be done with a domed setter - otherwise the head  will flatten out.......they are not cheap but are the only current source for this type that I have found. 7 or 8 mm is closest to the most commonly used size

FWIW - I use about 5-6,000 tacks a year decorating work.....on the steel shank tacks - to keep from splitting the wood clip the sharp point off so that it's flat tipped or close to it - an old cabinet maker's trick......
Chuck Burrows aka Grey Wolf

Offline jtwodogs

• TMA Forum Member
Brass tacks
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 10:09:39 AM »
Quote from: "tg"

Yes that look is exceptional, that is why I prefaced my comment with the fact that I am a novice and have not seen many, the one that I did see looked terrible I doubt whomever had taken time to drill or lay out much of a pattern they just started hammering tacks in. The above pics looks very tastefully done.
#423 renew 3/14/10
George Washington
" It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible."
 May 12, 1779

Offline swampman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 09:57:27 PM »
"In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."

Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990