Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Shooting Stick's?  (Read 621 times)

Offline vthompson

• TMA Forum Member
Shooting Stick's?
« on: February 13, 2010, 11:53:38 PM »
Hey guy's, I would appreciate your opinions on a subject. Due to my physical handicap I have to use a walking stick to walk with and to balance myself with when standing still.
Lately, I have been thinking about getting myself a shooting stick so that I could have the best of both worlds when out in the woods hunting with my rifles. A stick to walk with and then a stick to balance myself with and to prop my rifle upon whenever I had the opportunity to shoot.
I have been looking at some online but there are different types and styles to choose from and the prices vary somewhat as well. I am not worried about the price as I am in what to look for or consider whenever I get myself one. If you have ever used one or if you use one now I would appreciate your input as well as pro's and con's on them.
If you can help me out I would sure appreciate anything that you have to say. Thank you so much,

vthompson
Take only what you need and leave the rest

West Virginia TMA State Representative[/color]

TMA Member #520
Exp. 12-2011

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 12:51:08 AM »
I've used em before but I usually cut mine in the woods.  A pair of sticks about 4 foot long, 1" in diameter,  tied together 3" from the top makes a great set of cross sticks that you can spread apart when sitting while hunting. For a walking stick, cut one about 5' or so with a shallow crotch at the top to rest your gun for a shot when you're standing.

You can peel the bark off and fancy it up with a little carving or what ever your imagination can come up with. Works just as good as a store bought and gives you more satisfaction makin it yerself.
Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline Trois Castors

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 12:39:59 PM »
Quote from: "Longhunter"
A pair of sticks about 4 foot long, 1" in diameter,  tied together 3" from the top makes a great set of cross sticks that you can spread apart when sitting while hunting.
I've used similar in a "Buffalo Shoot" only differance
was it was dressed lumber and a bolt or pin IIRC.
It worked good from the seated position.

Regards,
Jed"3Beavers"
Ontario Canada Provincial TMA Representative[/color]
TMA#272 till 09/01/16
Friends of the Voyageur
Saugeen Paddlers

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 01:11:24 PM »
I just bought a poplar dowel 4' long and stained it.  It makes a good walking stick and is better than shooting offhand.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline vermontfreedom

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 10:50:23 PM »
what longhunter said....

if and when I desire to use them, that's what i do

however, honestly, i find them more cumbersome to use than not, for a number of reasons, but you have different objectives than i do
--VermontFreedom--
TMA Charter Member #135 (renewed 20091128)

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 12:56:42 AM »
I saw one guy with a 6 foot or so tall walking stick that he used to steady his rifle by holding the rifle and the stick in one hand and holding the trigger area in the other worked for him.Problem I have with cross sticks is they are awkward and I have to kneel or sit to use them,not good with arthritis.I guess you could make extra long cross stick but I think that would be super awkward.

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 12:38:13 PM »
My dad is 80.  He uses a natural stick in the woods as a walking stick, and it has a little bit of a side branch left on the side at about the 5' height.  Works fine for a rifle support.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 05:27:18 PM »
Seems shooting sticks are something you either like, or dislike.
I have, over the years come to to like them quite a bit, but it hasn't always been that way.

A year or so ago my friend Puffer gave me an exceptionally nice  "shootin / walkin staff" for my birthday.
It is a very nice, hand carved "stick" of 6.5" diameter and is 58" long...or just below my shoulder height.
I have a leather strap (strop to be precise) on top. that I can slip my fingers into with the thumb extended to support the rifle while standing....it actually works quite well and is much better than just free or off-handing the rifle, assuming you have the time....at least for me

When kneeling, I simply grasp the stick at a comfortable height from the ground with my thumb extended to support the rifle.
When sitting, I lean the stick forward or away from me, supporting my rifle at the right elevation,  and that seems to work quite well too.

Short story;
Two years ago I made the world class mistake of leaning to close to a tree, with the rifle supported by my hand in the strap of the stick....I didn't think, at the time, that my shoulder was actually touching or would ever touch the tree. Otherwise I have never pulled this trick.

I was shooting at a Coyote that had broke out of the trees and was headed toward the creek below.....when I touched off the 120gr FFg Goex charge in my .69 smoothie it actually stripped the screw that secures the strap from the top of the stick and put a bruise across my entire left hand / fist...a bruise that showed up immediately!
Then, when I got home and showered, my wife asked me what in the world had happened to my right shoulder and back, as that side was now all black and blue with a tinge of green and mixed yellows...with my hand being so tender, I hadn't even noticed my shoulder and back!

I'm not sure I totally understand the mechanics of what happened to rip that screw and strap out of the staff, but I have know forever, at least since I was just a pup, that you shouldn't have your upper torso anywhere near anything that will prevent the body from moving / rolling when firing heavy loads....guess I got the Dumb Butt award for that one.
BTW: 120gr FFg is typically a good accurate load in my .69 smoothie behind a 330gr round ball and patch and recoil is only moderate at best.
I understand my shoulder getting bruised from that dad-burn tree, but I have never figured out why my supporting hand caught so much trauma.
Anyway, that's my story 'bout shootin sticks, and I'm stickin to it.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline vthompson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 07:37:51 PM »
Russ,
 A combination walking/shooting staff is what I am talking about. Something to help me keep my balance while walking then something to rest my rifle on while hunting when the opportunity to shoot comes along.
I suppose that I will just take a stroll in the woods and try to find that "perfect" stick that I can use for both walking and shooting.
I appreciate everyones ideas and feedback.
Take only what you need and leave the rest

West Virginia TMA State Representative[/color]

TMA Member #520
Exp. 12-2011