Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: 28 gauge smoothbore  (Read 1186 times)

Offline W. Welshman

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.theweavingwelshman.com/home
  • TMA Member: 321
28 gauge smoothbore
« on: May 03, 2010, 12:26:48 AM »
Looking for a starting load for a 28 gauge smoothbore "SHOT ONLY" no R/B Thanks for the help Lynn
Idaho North TMA State Representative

http://www.theweavingwelshman.com/home

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 12:05:20 PM »
WW, I'm using 50gr 3F and 65 of 6's for rabbits, squirrels and such. Bump it up to 65gr 3F and 80 of 6's for fezants. An over powder card and 1/2 cushion wad, lubed, and the usual overshot card. A good 25-30yd gun.
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016

Offline W. Welshman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 04:03:18 PM »
Thank You

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 06:29:27 PM »
That seems like a sweet load to me.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 08:54:14 PM »
I'll try it out, myself!
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.
General Omar N. Bradley

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 09:53:11 PM »
Lynn, I haven't had the time to play with a whole lot of 'different' loads so far, but I did establish that 60gr FFFg, a single OP wad, and no fiber wad, and then 2 OS cards over 80gr #6's gave a fair-to-middlin pattern at 30 "paces"...

And, 80gr FFg, OS card, half of a 1/2" fiber wad, 80gr of #6's with a single OS card also did fair-to-middlin at 20 "paces"....notice the two different distances. Roughly 20 yds. vs roughly 30yds.

It seems to me, at least at this time, that FFFg appears to want to push the fiber wad through the center of the pattern...but, like I said, I just haven't had the time to experiment a whole lot yet.
This may well be a first impression, but a "hole" in the center of the pattern is a fair bet that something is moving the shot out of there.

Although you mentioned you're not interested, I will mention for the benefit of others that I did work up a nice load using a .530 ball, 90gr FFFg, an OS card, and a .015 tick patch with my own lube....this load is as good, or better, than any of my other smooth bore loads at 50 yds....the .535 ball was all over the paper and I just could not find a sweet spot for the powder charge......changed to the .530 ball and she settled down pretty as you please. Go figure!

This is my very first Renegade Smooth Bore, and from what I'm seeing right now, I have been missing out on a good thing.... this puppy will shoot!

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 10:47:40 PM »
interesting  russ
 currently im working on a hudson valley fowler with a  52 in .545  bore . i think ill give that load a try for myself here in the next months

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 10:16:12 PM »
How much improvement would you get using a patched round ball in a smoothbore vs a fiberwad, the ball and a card over the top?
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.
General Omar N. Bradley

Offline Uncle Russ

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 10:50:55 AM »
Quote from: "butterchurn"
How much improvement would you get using a patched round ball in a smoothbore vs a fiberwad, the ball and a card over the top?

The "card over the top" is only to keep the shot or ball from falling out, or moving away from the powder, when you turn the gun down....by keeping the ball, or shot, seated over the powder you prevent any chance of that same ball or shot becoming a blockage,.

The purpose of a "fiber wab" is to prevent the shot from becoming damaged or deformed, ie, out-of-round, when the gun is fired. A fiber wad is often referred to as a "cushion wad".

This is all based on the idea that perfectly round shot fly better, and maintains a more consistent pattern than shot that has been deformed....such as reclaimed shot, which I have shot tons of over the years.

In a muzzle loader you can not apply "wad pressure" as we can in shot shells using a crimp to maintain that pressure, which insure consistent patterns with a given load.....
With a muzzle loader, it is also equally important,  that equal pressure be  applied as each component is seated.

As far as using a "patched round ball", since we have no rifling, and no lands / grooves for the patch to "bunch up into" when seating a tight fitting ball in order to impart a "spin" on the ball....with a smoothbore,  it begs the question if a tight fitting OP (over powder) wad or card doesn't indeed help with the prevention of escaping gas, create an even better seal than the patched ball alone,  and add accuracy to our smooth bore shooting.

Nothing in smoothbore shooting can beat "experimentation" with ones own gun, whether it be with roundball or shot. I have a new, new to me, .56 cal S/B that is fast becoming one of the most interesting guns I have ever owned....interesting in the sense that it actually seems to like me a little bit, and responds to thoughts,  theories, and experiments as though it might know what it's doing.....instead of fighting me ever step of the way.
Does this make sense? If it does, then you can appreciate how much I have learned to like the lowly Renegade in the few short months I have owned it....it is nowhere near as finicky as custom, or semi custom smoothies I have played with over the years.

All this rambling is just one person's opinion. There are many other opinions, and many of these will have merit. However, you just can't seem to beat the principal that ever single gun is a science within itself, and should be treated as such.

The one thing that has drove me crazy is how a sling, tied on the end of the barrel of my .62 smoothbore, could change the POI (point of impact) with round ball so darn much....but it does, and that's all a story for a different thread.

Uncle Russ..

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 11:06:34 AM »
The one thing that has drove me crazy is how a sling, tied on the end of the barrel of my .62 smoothbore, could change the POI (point of impact) with round ball so darn much....but it does, and that's all a story for a different thread.

REALLY?.. :?
Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline W. Welshman

• TMA Forum Member
Re: 28 gauge smoothbore
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 01:13:11 AM »
Uncle Russ we did talk about this problem, but this answer is for another forum of shooting :rt th

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 09:34:43 AM »
Quote from: "W. Welshman"
Uncle Russ we did talk about this problem, but this answer is for another forum of shooting :rt th

Indeed we did...I have demonstrated this many times.
If you have a "tie-on" sling, the placement of that sling, and how tight you "tie" that sling will definitely affect the harmonics (vibrations) of some barrels.
On my .62 smoothie, from the bench, that difference could be as much as two inches at fifty yards....however, there was indeed a sweet spot too, but that "sweet spot" was not where I wanted the sling for carry.....go figure.

Conventional wisdom says it doesn't matter where you "tie" the sling on a full stuck, but it certainly does on some stocks, or on some guns....a "perfectly bedded" 42" barrel may not need a sweet spot, but most barrels will.

The "cure" for this is simple enough, if you feel you must have a sling....install a sling swivel and the problem goes away.

Uncle Russ...

Offline W. Welshman

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 11:15:56 AM »
Right again :rt th  How would that look if I put a harmonic balance on my rifle ? I do enjoy our talks about this stuff.

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 11:33:22 AM »
Quote from: "W. Welshman"
Right again :Doh! Lynn, Lynn, Lynn............Lord help me!

Uncle Russ...

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 11:38:09 AM »
Or, Lynn, you could just try balancing your harmonica on it and see if that does any good. :rotf  :rotf
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life