Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Getting use to delay?  (Read 871 times)

Offline vthompson

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Getting use to delay?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 08:19:29 PM »
I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my post. I got some good advise and some good idea'`s to try. The rifle that I am talking about is a Lyman 50cal. Plains rifle with a 1 in 66 twist.
Again, thanks a lot guy's.
Take only what you need and leave the rest

West Virginia TMA State Representative[/color]

TMA Member #520
Exp. 12-2011

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 11:56:04 AM »
Can flinter be dry balled? I see cap locks do it all the time,but NEVER a flinter! :lol sign  :rotf  :rotf
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline FlintSteel

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 05:11:04 PM »
Quote from: "pathfinder"
What Ive done and what I advise new shooters ofn flinters is to dry fire A LOT. Whilw watching TV or just sitting around,

Nothing wrong with doing this for practice, but I'd avise making a fake flint out of a piece of wood. No need to where out your flint or especially destroying your frizzen with dry fireing. No sparks no where and tear except maybe the springs. And no chance of an accicental discharge.
Michael Markey
TMA Member #271  Exp 07/09/2013
National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association
National Rifle Association
Contemporary Longrifle Association

Offline FlintSteel

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 09:02:36 AM »
I met a gent recently. He had been shooting cap lock for some time and wanted to know how you avoid or stop flinching, with all that fire in front of your nose. I told him I don't really know I've been doing it so long I don't even see the flash.

So I offered him a chance to shoot my flintlock. Of course he took me up on the offer. We went to the range yesterday, after one shot with my rifle he was hooked.

My rifle is very quick, my first flintlock rifle had the old pause, but this one has absolutely NONE. If there is one it is totally imperceptable, to the point that it is as fast as his cap lock rifle. His words not mine. I'm certain I made a convert to the flint side.

If anything can cause your followthrough to suffer it's the fact that after all that powder goes off, you can't see the target or for that matter the end of your rifle till the smoke clears. But I still never see the flash.
Michael Markey
TMA Member #271  Exp 07/09/2013
National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association
National Rifle Association
Contemporary Longrifle Association