Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Brass ramrods?  (Read 1138 times)

Offline vthompson

• TMA Forum Member
Brass ramrods?
« on: August 17, 2011, 09:13:41 PM »
I have broke two ramrods while shooting my rifles and I am tired of it. I was wondering if you guy's could point me to a dealer that sells brass ramrods so that I can buy me one of them for my rifle. I thank you for your time and trouble,

vthompson
Take only what you need and leave the rest

West Virginia TMA State Representative[/color]

TMA Member #520
Exp. 12-2011

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
Re: Brass ramrods?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 10:09:19 PM »
Just a thought, but I've used hickory ramrods for more than 40 years and never broken one.  Okay, well I did shoot one downrange when I got in too big a hurry but that shouldn't count against me.  My point is that there are at least two schools of thought when it comes to loading.  Some people take along everything the truck will carry.  Others take along only what they could walk out of the house with, rifle and shooting bag.  I'm in the second category.  I use a hickory ramrod carried in the thimbles under the barrel for everything from loading to cleaning.  The "secret" is to buy hickory ramrods with a nice straight grain and minimal run-out.  Then soak them in kerosine or other good wood treatment oil.  I can's seem to find kerosine anymore so I use Danish Furniture Oil.  Then, when loading, never raise your hand more than a hands-width above the muzzle when running a ball home.  Reaching too far above the muzzle and bending the rod on the down stroke is where most breakages come from.  The "short stroke" method has the additional benefit of preventing you from pile-driving the ball and deforming it.

I'm sure that many will offer sources for a brass rod and if that's what you want that's fine.  I'm just saying that if you ever plan to spend a day or more woods roaming and shooting at targets of opportunity, it pays to have a ram rod attached to the gun that will do everything.

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 10:40:02 PM »
If you want to stay with wood, check out these ram rods, hickory with a steel rod down the center and made to your order; http://www.periodramrod.com/

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 11:12:11 PM »
RMC makes brass rods.  October Country does also.  Eastern Maine probably does too.
I wouldn't be without a good brass range rod.  I prefer the one piece rods rather than the multipiece ones.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Rasch Chronicles

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://trochronicles.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 11:46:22 PM »
Coal oil, if you can find it, was the old tyme method for making flexible ramrods.

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™: George Washington, President and Fisherman
?O??? ????!
"Skull Mountain" Sperwan Ghar, Panjwai District, Afghanistan
Standing Ready when the Wolves Growl at the Door...
[size=85]TMA Member #638 Expires 08/10/2012[/size]

Offline vthompson

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 05:16:23 PM »
I wanted to thank you guy's for your help and suggestions on the ramrod. I have a couple of different options to consider that I didn't know were available to me. Once again guy's, many thanks.
Take only what you need and leave the rest

West Virginia TMA State Representative[/color]

TMA Member #520
Exp. 12-2011

Offline 2571

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 09:30:04 PM »
Quote from: "Rasch Chronicles"
Coal oil, if you can find it, was the old tyme method for making flexible ramrods.

What's the diffeence between coal oil and kerosene?  Thought it was the same stuff.

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 09:44:24 PM »
It is.  Different names is all.  Sort of like bucket vs pail.
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 09:49:38 PM »
vthompson...I've purchased quite a few brass range rods with a T handle from the Log Cabin Shop....of different lengths and diameters.  I also have a brass rammer hung under the barrel of a .32cal rifle...works just fine.
Al
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 11:31:02 PM »
You can also go to a big hardware store that sells brass rod.  I did that and had the end of the rod drilled and tapped 10/32 for the jag.  I think the brass rod was around $12 or so.
Member #420 Expires 3/1/13

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 08:36:04 AM »
For use at the range and cleaning up a brass rod is a great tool.  You don't have to struggle as much with the rod for any tough patches.  Using one is a great relief.  I ordered one for fifty bucks.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Rasch Chronicles

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://trochronicles.blogspot.com
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 09:33:05 AM »
Ahhh, my friends,

But it is not the same! A common misconception!

Coal oil is refined from shale oil. . Coal oil is a term once used for a specific shale oil used for illuminating purposes. See reference.

When kerosene, distilled from petroleum, took over as a cheaper alternative, people just started using the term "kerosene" for all illumination oils.

Your friend,
Albert
"Skull Mountain" Sperwan Ghar, Panjwai District, Afghanistan
Standing Ready when the Wolves Growl at the Door...
[size=85]TMA Member #638 Expires 08/10/2012[/size]

Offline Sean McKown

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 09:44:36 AM »
i use stainless range rods.
Sean McKown
Nebraska TMA State Representative[/color]
TMA Member #182
exp 04/15/14 Just renewed via paypal
NMLRA

Eastern Platte Muzzleloaders
Pioneer Longrifles

Offline Sean McKown

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 09:48:01 AM »
Sorry, My kid was helping!!  I get the stainless rods from a customer of mine(welding shop that does only stainless)  they drill and tap the end for me, and they cost me a 1$ a foot.  I just have to put a handle on them.  My daughter and I have an early 1900's door knobs for our handles.  and I still ram my ball  down the barrel a hand width at a time.   I use my wood rod for hunting and trailwalks.
Sean McKown
Nebraska TMA State Representative[/color]
TMA Member #182
exp 04/15/14 Just renewed via paypal
NMLRA

Eastern Platte Muzzleloaders
Pioneer Longrifles

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 06:34:23 PM »
I have broken wood rods too.  Once in the woods, trying to load a tight load (should have swabed the bore) and I had to whittle a stick to seat the load.  Broke a few on the range and the last time I broke one at rendezvous during a timed shoot.

Stormrider gives good advice on wood rods.  I have hickory rods just like that under the barrel of my rifles.  I use them when hunting and at rondezvous.

However, I do think it's a good idea to have a range rod.  My old one is fiber glass and I quit using it because of getting glass splinters in my hand.  My current rod is brass, threaded on each end.  I use a brass muzzle guard and a screw on T handle.  I believe I bought the rod from October Country.

The range rod really helps get a tight load down the barrel and when you have to pull a ball (it happens sooner or latter) you can hook the T handle in the fork of a tree and pull the rifle.  It scares heck out of me to watch two guys trying to pull a stuck ball and one of them pulling in front of the muzzle.

I may be a little too "gadgety" for some, but having a good range rod available can save a day.
Steve Sells