Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: The other project  (Read 10483 times)

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
Re: The other project
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2021, 10:27:41 PM »
Thanks for the assist,the other side looks fine,I used that glue to put my longbow back together after the a handle layer unglued when shooting I felt and heard it so I know it has a lot of stress there,took it too a primitive bowyer ,he told me I’m not gonna fix that because I would have to charge you $100 but I will tell you what to do for free.and he told me to use titebond III and a couple other hints ,I did as he said and it’s been great ever since.he’s a Marine,like me,and he hunts with,and makes longbows,and the arrows and knapps the flint tips he uses or hunting,he’s now counted also among my friends,too,! He gives survival,hunting,and flint napping lessons.
  As said I am looking for that piece of wood
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2021, 11:24:02 PM »
Yes sir, Tite-Bond III is what I use when making a bow, (and all wood projects). It has never failed me.  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2021, 09:18:18 AM »
I began metal finishing now and my lock is back and installed, it workshowever when the set trigger is tripped it operates but does not trip the cock,so the front trigger works but not the set,I believe it has to do with the trigger position maybe the rear of the trigger has to inlet deeper so the set hits it.,or maybe it is hitting wood yet.sure could use a mini x ray!I wrapped the frizzen to keep the parts cushioned for dry firing however I think I might just make a wooden flint. [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  I am getting better at inletting but triggers are a itch!

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2021, 08:25:12 AM »
 The trigger situation was resolved by cleaning up the inlet area and deepening the rear tail of the  trigger just at bit so now for all intents and purposes I have an unfinished in the white rifle! [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2021, 08:51:58 AM »
 :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2021, 05:44:48 PM »
Started using the laurel mountain brown waiting for the first treatment now,at 1800 I have take care and scale it,I’ve decided to use it to blue the s small parts ,lock plate,frizzen,cock and jaw,entry pipe and foreend cap toe plate and buttplate he screws I may nitre  blue,the barrel and hook breech I will use Brownells classic rust blue ,I have used it before on my “ other” rifles ,it does a great durable blue and  this way I can compare the two when finished.I will scale once today then tomorrow I will steam and card during the day.I am a bit under the weather,so much so I had a COVID test Thursday ,it came back negative( whew!) I am immunized but things have happened so I’m just sick!a nd don’t want to sit up all night rust bluing and stock finishing.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2021, 10:18:45 PM »
Three cycles in this how they look [ Invalid Attachment ] this is with laurel mtn. [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  The last two are Brownells classic rust blue ,so far the Laurel mountain is ahead but they both need at least another cycle maybe more.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2021, 11:13:26 PM »
:hairy That is looking good!  I bet the finished product will be SPECTACULAR!!!  :yessir:

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2021, 07:37:14 PM »
Mama put me in sick bay,no work or play.this will hold me up a couple days,bad cold .I told her Marines are better left alone in the rain.Her answer is unprintable.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2021, 07:51:03 PM »
One thing I discovered when I polished (actually just a sort of a220 grit  brushed finish) ,was under the bead blasting on the lock plate is some pitting from I think arc welding that is a bitch to remove without leaving a depression in the plate or filing the whole plate down it was unnoticeable with the bead blast and the bead blast surface on the cock and frizzen enabled a really dark ,if dead flat blue ,if I did it again I would stay with the factory beadblast.that area is normally hidden by the hammer pretty well though.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2021, 04:26:29 PM »
Mama put me in sick bay,no work or play. this will hold me up a couple days, bad cold.  I told her Marines are better left alone in the rain. Her answer is unprintable.
:o :lol sign :laffing :luff:

That just made my day, thank you!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2021, 09:47:03 PM »
I had to get a second COVID test today,also neg(whew! Again) and chest X-ray and finally got a script for  antibiotic,not in time for today though.what if it was like a movie,your alright up to the end,but you have to get the medicine In you within 24 hrs!The pharmacy doesn’t open til 10:00 am,sir!

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2021, 07:58:32 AM »
Most recent update ,I have TOW-aqua fortised the stock,I believe last night I final  blued all fittings and the barrel with rust blue I have the butt plate and screws to do yet and I will use LMF stain to add just a shade of red to the wood  then several coats of oil after a bit of wet sanding [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  the pic of the barrel is as finished and oiled,the hardware was before one more round in the steamer I will go out and check them now then my 7 acres waits for mowing.seems like a good day for fishin!
 I did not intentionally hide it but the chip at the toe did not stay it’s small I will try again but I may have to cut and fit a bigger piece to replace it to give it more surface for glue to hold.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2021, 09:42:29 AM »
Looks like it's turning out pretty nice!  :applaud  :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online KDubs

« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2021, 10:16:52 AM »
looking forward to the first shot.  :bl th up
kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High