Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Fly issues  (Read 726 times)

Offline biliff

• TMA Forum Member
Fly issues
« on: July 09, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
After years of use the fly on my Davis Germanic lock is starting to act up. The problem is intermittent and involves the fly not moving back into position after firing and allowing the sear to enter the halfcock notch upon recocking. The problem also seems to be position sensitive, ie it will occur when the rifle is held in the normal cock up position. However, I can get it to reset by rotating the rifle 90 degrees and recocking.

I've had it out, cleaned it and the recess in the tumbler. Don't see any evidence of wear. Played with the torque on the bridle, etc.. No joy.

Is all this just the initial signs of a worn fly and I just need to replace it, or am I missing something?
Member #400, expiration 22Jan14
...and to each Volunteer, who shall equip himself with a good and sufficient Musket, Cutlass or Hatchet, Cartouch Box, Powder Horn, Blanket and Knap Sack, two shillings Proclamation Money per Day.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Fly issues
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 04:17:40 PM »
Is all this just the initial signs of a worn fly and I just need to replace it, or am I missing something?
could be . but if there is wear it will show on the sear side of the fly .
 without seeing it , it could also be   gunk , oil or contaminants either in the pivot hole or on the back or outside of the fly ear itself .
See the fly works from gravity . So as your sear passes it , it falls on the inside of the sear nose .EVEN when  the rifle is laid on its side . When the sear is tripped ,  it pushes the fly in front of it, IF the fly has not already fallen down in place over the halfcocked.
 Once the fly has hit its stop point , the sear then rides over the fly , thus missing the ½ cock . But if the sear side of the fly ear gets warn it exposes just a  hair of the half cock and the sear catches

Now what also can happen with some designs is that they have a sear and fly set up that only allows the fly to  contact the sear in a very small area .  In these cases  if the inside or outside of the sear ear  OR the outside edge of the sear  gets worn  then the fly cant interrupt . what happens is the fly gets pushed to far out  during its rotation  and the sear  catches the 1/2cock .

The third thing that can happen is the fly  forms a small burr  . Like the  first issue , you may not be able to see it with your eye , but its there . Its really surprising just how small a burr will cause the lock to stall . In this case what happens is you think your stuck at half , but your really  caught on the fly .

So how to find out whats happening .
Take the lock out and slowly  bring it to the full cock . The  sear should have to  have to move around the fly  just before it  engages the full cock . This movement is very slight and you have to look very close to see it .
 Now slowly take the sear from the full and carefully let it slide back down . Keeping only enough resistance to let the  lock fall slowly . You want to let it catch if it will .
 Take not  that the sear is pushing the fly in front of it  and that the fly completely covers the ½ cock and that the sear smoothly slides over the fly .
 If all looks well , pull the fly .  Taking a  cotton ball or Q tip and wipe it across the sear side of the fly . If you have a burr  forming , the cotton will catch on it . . If you see the cotton catch , just a few light swipes of emery cloth will remove it .
 If no cotton then  us alcohol and  clean the fly  and its pivoted hole real good .
 If you use oil then oil the fly only . Then wipe it dry . That will leave all the oil left on the fly that you need . Now put things back together

Offline biliff

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 05:29:22 PM »
Thank you. Ended up finding a small burr using the cotton ball trick. Think I have it polished down as everything seems to be working. Have a shoot tomorrow so it will get a workout.

Always nice to talk to somebody that knows what they're doing.
...and to each Volunteer, who shall equip himself with a good and sufficient Musket, Cutlass or Hatchet, Cartouch Box, Powder Horn, Blanket and Knap Sack, two shillings Proclamation Money per Day.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 06:24:25 PM »
i woud say that the majority of the time  folks will find the issue is eather a gummed up fly or a burr .
 anyway , let m know it it works for you

Offline biliff

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 07:21:33 PM »
Made it thru today's shoot without any issues, so I'm hoping that's it. Thanks again.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 08:53:29 PM »
glade to be of help