Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Lets talk chisels....  (Read 958 times)

Offline Adam Wetherington

• TMA Forum Member
Lets talk chisels....
« on: April 26, 2012, 08:17:49 PM »
I'd like to get a conversaion started about wood chisels with you guys with more experience than me.

I've put together several of the really stupid simple kits and decided to take the next step and bought a Track of the Wolf kit. I was taking my time and all was going well except it seemed my chisels were going dull extremely fast, and I was getting more and more frustrated because I couldn't seem to resharpen them well enough to keep from over doing things so to speak.

Humbly, I admit I don't have good chisels. I got them from Sears and they weren't very expensive. :salute

Adam

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Lets talk chisels....
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 08:55:26 PM »
When I get home i'll try and post a link or two for some chisel sharpening  tutorials. Consistancy is real important when sharpening, but first they must be trued up, but if they are new craftsman tools they should be pretty good . You can go buy a super sharp 2000 or 3000 but you can do it almost  as well with a $10 jig from woodcraft or rockler, and 3 or 4 different grits of sand paper on a flat surface. Now I havent built many guns, but I have sharpened tools for over 27 yrs. Sharpen often with a hone so it never gets real dull.
The more I talk to experianced builders, the more I am told, sharp tools are ESSENTIAL.(I believe it )
If you are near a rockler or woodcraft store, see if there is a local craftsman that can give you some hands on lessons with sharpening. Thats what I did a couple of weeks ago for my wood lathe tools which I was unfamiliar with. A guy met me at the store and spent an hour or so with me and we sharpened all my lathe tools, and he explained many other things about lathe work to me. He was very generous and didnt want to charge me anything, I was very fortunate.
Good luck.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 09:03:44 PM »
Quote from: "ridjrunr"

The more I talk to experianced builders, the more I am told, sharp tools are ESSENTIAL.(I believe it )

I truly believe that! When they were sharp I was cruising! I was actually a bit intimidated by the prospect of having to use tools and do some shaping and inletting but once I started using sharp chisels I was very relieved. And then they got dull...LOL

Adam

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 09:13:11 PM »
Adam, I have a Worksharp 3000, best investment I ever made, this thing should be called sharpener for dummies, since I bought mine and did a report on it here a couple years ago, some of the other fellas have bought them including Pathfinder and Captchee and they also have had very good results, now when it come to chisels, buy the best that you can afford, I have a set of Woodcraft bench chisels German made, and various Lamp Brand (German carving chisels) along with Swiss brand carving chisels, all hold an edge very well and come back to and edge quickly with a strop or buffing wheel, hope this helps, Beav
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 02:16:52 AM »
Beav, Thats the name I couldnt think of, worksharp, not super sharp lol
thank you for the correction. One of those is on my short list.

here are a few links

http://www.fine-tools.com/G10004.htm

http://antiquetools.com/sharp/

http://flintriflesmith.com/ToolsandTech ... niques.htm

http://www.davidcalvo.com/wood_carving_tools.html

http://www.vintagetools.net/product.php?p=344
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline trg

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 09:02:44 AM »
I think as mentioned the real trick is to keep them sharp as you go with frequent touchups, I also did this with my knives when skinning/fleshing Beaver, I had stones, ceramic rods and opther sharpening devices all over the shop and touched up the edge quite often, some chisel shapes do require extreme care as to not loose the shape so it is definately not a race type attitude to go with.

Offline Bruce Bogart

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 09:28:07 AM »
Look up scary sharp on the interweb. Low cost method of getting extremly sharp chisels. Us cheapskates use the most economical methods.  ;)

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 11:03:06 PM »
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 11:26:41 PM »
Like the other fellas said . Sharp tools are a must have .
 I will also add another 2 thumbs up for the work sharp . I bought the 2000 as it was only 99.00 . Worth every last Penney.
 Mostly I use Swiss brand chisels and gouges .  They come factory sharpened  at a 20 deg angle .  I also have some German made chisels  but I prefer the Swiss .
 Since the WS 200 is set to sharpen at 20 deg  , I saw no need to go with the 3000 that was over 200.00.
 Past all that . I also  make my own chisels and gouges out of cheep  micro screwdrivers .
 Yep that’s right , the  ones you get for 1.00 -2.00 a set at the dollar store .
 The flats make great little chisels and the Philips make reasonable  micro gouges .
 They do need sharpening and touching up often , but so what   . Justa  couple pulls across a diamond stone and your back in business .

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 04:05:02 PM »
Thanks guys. Great leads there for me to ponder and peruse....

Offline Supercracker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 09:10:55 AM »
Adam.
For mine I spent time and established a really good edge one time and then just never let them get dull again. I made strops and keep them right there. Whenever I'm using the chisels I touch them up on the strop CONSTANTLY. They stay maybe not scary sharp but certainly crazy sharp.

I have gobs and gobs of scrap leather if you want some to make up some strops.

(This is Shane btw, in case I hadn't mentioned that   :toast )
Member #636
Expires 7/17/2012

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 11:19:17 AM »
Weeellllll, well. There's goes the neighborhood boys!!

Glad to see you on here. Yeah, the whole time I was working on that I kept thinking, "Man I wished Shane was here to sharpen these dang things!" LOL

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 11:58:46 AM »
I did all the vodoo and magic trick's for years when it came to sharpening,then I bought the Work Sharp 3000,and haven't looked back! Awsome tool!
NRA life member
NMLRA

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 05:11:48 PM »
This is a little off topic but if you have chisels with round handles, use a belt sander to make at least one good sized flat spot on it (the handle). It helps it to not roll off your bench and onto the concrete floor. You know which side will hit first.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 08:54:25 AM »
Nice tip! There's pun in there somewhere.
NRA life member
NMLRA