Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Lock Disassembly (takin' it apart)  (Read 1033 times)

Offline 1Poet

• TMA Forum Member
Lock Disassembly (takin' it apart)
« on: July 20, 2014, 11:54:07 AM »
I'm thinking of taking the next step and learning how to take my flintlock apart and, hopefully, putting it back together so it will still work. :laffing  I have ordered a mainspring vise and have found a simple, one piece frizzen spring visey thing. I just want to be able to service the lock myself and super clean it. I've watched a couple of videos and read several "how to's".  Other than paying careful attention to the process, not over tightening the vise and possibly taking closeup pics before disassembly so's I know how it is supposed to look, does any experienced flinters have any ad-vise, pun intended?  Thanks,  Lloyd

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: Lock Disassembly (takin' it apart)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 02:34:56 PM »
Lloyd,
In my efforts to impersonate a very amateur gunsmith, I have found that rather than tightening the spring vise, bring the hammer back to full cock, so the spring is compressed, then place the vice on the spring and tighten slightly.  Trip the sear and the spring will just lift out.  Ditto with the frizzen spring.  Actually, a small pair of vice grips works pretty good for that.
Overtightening is your spring's worst enemy.  All together now, can we say,"SNAP". :Doh!
Of course, YMMV, and FWIW,
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 02:40:02 PM »
I want to first say that I never disassemble a lock for cleaning.  I dunk it in hot water, scrub with an old toothbrush, and spray with WD-40.  There's just no need to take it apart.  Even with the proper tools there is always a risk of spring breakage or a screw getting cross-threaded on reassembly.  I may take a lock apart when I first get it if it looks like it would benefit from having it's contact surfaces polished, needs tuning or, of course, if something breaks.  A case in point is the L&R Queen Anne lock on my latest smoothbore.  Everything works as it should and there's nothing I could do to make it work better than it already does so why risk taking it apart?

Now, having said all that, it sounds like you have the right ideas and approach to disassembly.  Be sure you have the right tools and that includes gunsmith screwdrivers.  Study the parts of the lock and how they all work together.  There's really not that much to look at.  Be extremely careful when removing those springs.  Use Bigsmoke's tip and don't compress more than necessary.  Be especially careful that the spring doesn't escape the vise and fly away.  V-springs are made to work within a limited range of motion and always against resistance to slow them down.  A spring which escapes will open violently beyond its intended range of motion and this often results in a broken spring.  If there's a fly in the tumbler keep a close eye on it.  It is tiny and if it comes free and drops to the floor you will find yourself in the gunsmith version of "assuming the position".  That is being down on all fours crawling around looking for it.  As you remove springs/screws/parts lay them out in order on the bench.  I keep screws next to the part they go with.  Assembly is literally in reverse order.  Be just as careful putting the springs back as you were in taking them out and be sure to not cross-thread any screws.  Piece of cake!

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline Dewey

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 650
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 02:49:45 PM »
Quote from: "Stormrider51"
I want to first say that I never disassemble a lock for cleaning.  

Storm

I agree -

If'n it ain't broke, don't fix it !!!

Good tips on what to do if'n it IS broke, howsomever !!
- Dewey

Member #650

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 07:01:53 PM »
i agree on all points regarding the lock.

IF a composite part does need a full break down, no matter how seeming simple, i snap detailed images of every step of the process - that's come in handy more than a few times!

Offline Geezer in NH

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 05:39:51 PM »
Take a picture at each step . Phone cam or what everver it will help when you want to rebuild it.

I used a polaroid 30-40 years ago it cost money then but none now, go for it doing is how to learn

Offline Geezer in NH

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 10:17:49 PM »
Quote from: "bigsmoke"
Lloyd,
In my efforts to impersonate a very amateur gunsmith, I have found that rather than tightening the spring vise, bring the hammer back to full cock, so the spring is compressed, then place the vice on the spring and tighten slightly.  Trip the sear and the spring will just lift out.  Ditto with the frizzen spring.  Actually, a small pair of vice grips works pretty good for that.
Overtightening is your spring's worst enemy.  All together now, can we say,"SNAP". :Doh!
Of course, YMMV, and FWIW,
John
That works great!!

However many are not capable to try that sad as it seems by the replies.

What can we say but get a great friend or gunsmith to help  those with no mechanical abilities. One cannot teach over the cyber world.