Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: touch hole liner install ooops  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
Re: touch hole liner install ooops
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 09:50:59 AM »
. while not perfect  it should be ok . i you end up with issues , i doubt you will . i would make a new liner  with an off set hole . that way you can move the liner more center and still use the existing liner location .

As to how it happens , ?? It happens . that’s all I can say . Sometimes I think maybe it maybe the angle of the light …..?? don’t know . But even after all these years , there are times when  I go ; HOLLY!!! Crap how did that happen ?.
 Now ….., the flash hole  or installation of a liner is one of the very last steps  I do . Locating the position is one of the first things I do . That way  I have to lock at the mark  through the whole build .

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 10:15:13 AM »
Quote from: "Captchee"
. while not perfect  it should be ok . i you end up with issues , i doubt you will . i would make a new liner  with an off set hole . that way you can move the liner more center and still use the existing liner location .

As to how it happens , ?? It happens . that’s all I can say . Sometimes I think maybe it maybe the angle of the light …..?? don’t know . But even after all these years , there are times when  I go ; HOLLY!!! Crap how did that happen ?.
 Now ….., the flash hole  or installation of a liner is one of the very last steps  I do . Locating the position is one of the first things I do . That way  I have to look at the mark  through the whole build .
Same here and so far I've never had a misplaced touch hole,... HOWEVER, that's not saying I haven't screwed up in OTHER places of a build.  :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline 509thsfs

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 08:54:06 PM »
Well, I've moved past the touch hole. No I'm having a heck of a time getting the trigger tuned (Bedford L & R DST). Afraid to file much more off the triggers, but still have problems getting it to get into full cock. Then times when I do, and pull the trigger, it catches on the 1/2 cock notch.  There are times I can't get the set trigger to set. Or sometimes when in full cock, if I set the set trigger, it trips the sear. Thinking the set trigger may still be a bit high.  

Guessing, since when I have the lock out, and  the trigger is not set, I can't fit the lock back into place, that the set trigger is still a bit high and hitting the sear arm.  When I set the set trigger, the lock fits back into place easily.  I'm playing with the backlash screw and set trigger engagement screw .  Had it close a few times.

I have about 8 hours over 3 days into trying to work this puzzle out. I cringe every time I take a file to the trigger bars now, but seems to be slowly helping.  Been reading and following the instructions like crazy. Just don't know when I'd be filing too much off. Or do I still keep going until it "works". That's my dilemma now. well, on the upside, I'm learning. Especially learning when to just walk away and come back and try the next day haha

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 08:13:57 AM »
The lock wont go in when the trigger is un set , because the rear trigger bar will be up , blocking the sear . If  the lock goes in when set , then you have clearance . But you may not have clearance to cock the lock  since the sear moves down a little for each notch .

Here is my suggestion

Take your lock out and look  in the sear hole of the stock , with the  trigger un set .
 You should see  the   rear trigger bar angled across the hole .
Now set the trigger . Now the top edge of  both trigger bars should be bellow or even with the  bottom of the sear hole .
 If they are not , then the trigger bars need to be filed “DON’T go below the engagement notches where the triggers lock under and over each other “
OR
The trigger set itself must be dropped  down a little by shimming under the trigger set .
NOW  when you set the trigger , the bars go below the hole  and your still having issues   with the lock coming to full cock , then I would blacken the bottom and tip of the sear  with transfer ink . Set the lock back to the stock and work it a couple times . Take the lock back out and check for ink transfer around and in the bottom of the sear hole.
 If there is none and  the lock will cock set but not unset . Then your issue is the trigger main spring is to tight . Back the screw off a ½ turn

As to the trigger not setting . Most times that do to the small trigger spring on the front trigger being bound up . IE the front trigger notch  is at an angle and the rear triggers , trigger notch , cannot engage  .

Offline 509thsfs

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 08:34:35 AM »
Thanks. From what you say I am on the right path. Been doing pretty much as you describe. Just been going slow and a little at a time. Hopefully soon it will fall into place. Just need to make sure I keep walking away when frustrated so I don't get in a hurry and overdo anything.

Offline 509thsfs

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 05:55:57 AM »
Well, it fell into place last night.  Did find a couple places where a little wood needed removed. Not where you would think to look, but after working the lock so much, I actually found some small "shiny" spots where some rubbing was taking place.  There were two places where lock parts were actually below the edge of the lock plate when at full cock. After removing that it just took a little more filing on the front trigger.  Finally can move on.

Captchee. Thanks for the advice. Like I said, was not what we were looking for, but it did make me look at other places that could cause the problem.

Offline Three Steps

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 09:23:57 AM »
I have quit using touch hole liners. Just cone out the touch hole a little on the outside. I don't like the thought of the cone on the inside trapping fouling, the threaded hole interfering with the end of the breechplug threads, or just the looks. I know they had some in the old days but not as a general rule. I have also used a plain carbon steel bolt tightly threaded and peened over and filed flush then drilled. You could also drill a little off center of the bolt and correct the placement of the touch hole. Also you don't have that ugly screw driver slot showing but of course the liner is not removable unless it is drilled and use an ease-out.

Offline 509thsfs

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2015, 08:47:09 AM »
Guess it worked ok even with the oops.  Did slow down after a while, but that had a lot to do with humidity, even with wiping down and picking vent after every shot.  I did open the vent hole a little bit before shooting, still can't get a pipe cleaner in there like my others, but really don't want to open it up any more.

Video,,,if you have not seen it from my other thread  

Bedford Co. Flintlock Test Fire - YouTube

Offline blackpowderbill

• TMA Forum Member
    • BlackPowderBill Blog & Sales
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 06:38:56 AM »
SHOOT IT! A LOT~   Then when the touch hole needs replacing make a blank one and drill the hole off center in the blank if it really bothers you. I have a 40 cal Vincent that the drum was installed about 1/8" to far back and the guy filed a grove in the breech plug face. so the hole was not blocked and the plug would screw in.

After about a 1,000 shots I pulled the breech plug, cut it back, polished and reinstalled.  So it is a tad short of sitting on the inside lip , EH. After 4,000 + shots it works just great.