Traditional Firearms > Cannons

A Few Cannon Shot Pictures

<< < (3/3)

Bigsmoke:
In 1992 or 1993 ? a very close friend of mine passed away.  He was the sort of fellow who never met a gun that he didn't like.  So, his memorial was set at the rifle range in Farragut Park in North Idaho.  The scene was amazing, there were cars in the parking lot from about every state in the Western US.  Anyway, John Grenn had built a mountain howitzer, with a maybe 3" bore.  We took some aluminum foil and rounded it and folded over one end, then filled it with some of the ashes.  I think we used a charge of about 1,000 grains of Fg powder, slid the foil bullet down the bore and packed it over with some wadding, stuck a fuse into the touch hole, lit it and stood back.  At about 75 yards, the foil ruptured and there was a pretty good grey cloud out over the range.  One of the spectators said in a stage whisper, "Damn, what a way to go !!!"

BEAVERMAN:

--- Quote from: John Shorb on March 31, 2020, 02:58:02 PM ---In 1992 or 1993 ? a very close friend of mine passed away.  He was the sort of fellow who never met a gun that he didn't like.  So, his memorial was set at the rifle range in Farragut Park in North Idaho.  The scene was amazing, there were cars in the parking lot from about every state in the Western US.  Anyway, John Grenn had built a mountain howitzer, with a maybe 3" bore.  We took some aluminum foil and rounded it and folded over one end, then filled it with some of the ashes.  I think we used a charge of about 1,000 grains of Fg powder, slid the foil bullet down the bore and packed it over with some wadding, stuck a fuse into the touch hole, lit it and stood back.  At about 75 yards, the foil ruptured and there was a pretty good grey cloud out over the range.  One of the spectators said in a stage whisper, "Damn, what a way to go !!!"

--- End quote ---

That's what my Wife and Son have been instructed to do with my ashes, take 1/2 of them to the PLR rondy, have everyone load blackpowder , then some of beaves powder and send me down range, then pour everybody a shot of my favorite Tequila! the other half go to my favorite hunting spot above Cle Elum.

Oldetexian:

--- Quote from: Bigsmoke on March 31, 2020, 02:58:02 PM ---In 1992 or 1993 ? a very close friend of mine passed away.  He was the sort of fellow who never met a gun that he didn't like.  So, his memorial was set at the rifle range in Farragut Park in North Idaho.  The scene was amazing, there were cars in the parking lot from about every state in the Western US.  Anyway, John Grenn had built a mountain howitzer, with a maybe 3" bore.  We took some aluminum foil and rounded it and folded over one end, then filled it with some of the ashes.  I think we used a charge of about 1,000 grains of Fg powder, slid the foil bullet down the bore and packed it over with some wadding, stuck a fuse into the touch hole, lit it and stood back.  At about 75 yards, the foil ruptured and there was a pretty good grey cloud out over the range.  One of the spectators said in a stage whisper, "Damn, what a way to go !!!"

--- End quote ---

:yessir: A proper and fitting send off fur sure...we all should go out with such a bang.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version