Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: brogan?  (Read 4559 times)

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
brogan?
« on: November 16, 2008, 02:59:36 PM »
I always wore moccasins when I was a mountain man and colonial buckle shoes as a 1760's guy.  Now that I am back to doing the mountain man I'm thinking about loosing the moccasins. My old feet don't like 'em any longer.  What about brogans? I know that they had them back then. Do any of you wear brogans while being the mountain man?
Member #420 Expires 3/1/13

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 03:34:51 PM »
Actually Pete, I've had the same thoughts run through my mind, several times. I've never pursued it, and I'm still in mocs, but that might change as I get (even) older. :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 05:03:41 PM »
Well the Civil War Brogan was really a post fur trade style shoe, similar to the Jefferson, and that was similar to the Hi-low.  In truth, the three are so similar I'd have to have them side by side and labeled to tell which was which, so I don't know who'd give you any hassle for the "wrong" footwear, eh??  I have Fugawee hi-lows, and I had a second sole put on them so I could have them properly hobnailed.  They make a big dif in ankle support as well as when walking on gravel.  The hobnails make a nice crunching noise when several in a group of soldiers march into town (all that's missing is music from The Empire Strikes Back).  

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Mike Ameling

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/firefromsteel
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 07:09:47 PM »
One gentleman (der Fett Duetsman) found a surprising resemblence between a Confederate "Blucher" shoe offered by the Missouri Boot Company and a 1790's German boot/shoe in contemporary paintings.  Check it out at
http://missouribootandshoe.tripod.com/id10.htm a little over half way down the page.  European paintings and context, but ...

And they also carry variations of that Jefferson Bootee.  Yes, they mostly sell to Civil War people, but so much of the CW stuff was from earlier times.  I've been contemplating a pair for late 1700's upper Mississippi River and Great Lakes fur trade era events.  Just have to scrounge up the funds - while still beating back the wolves scratching at the back door!

Just something to consider.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 11:27:41 PM »
Another thing that you might want to consider is a simple pair of half Wellington boots with the round toe.  Leather sole and heels would make it even better.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 11:35:19 PM »
Whites boots sells a semi dress half boot that closely resembles a brogan and I tried a pair on a couple weeks ago when I was in their shop in Spokane dropping off a pair of packers to be rebuilt, needed it after 8 years of use, they are a bit spendy, but you get the legendary whites quality and they are totally rebuildable at half the original price, and... they are built to fit your foot! see their website for how they measure and such, might as well have the best if you can swing it!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 12:47:52 AM »
I looked at the Whites Boots website.  Way out of my price range! They look like super quality though.

Online BEAVERMAN

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 12:59:44 AM »
If a pair of $100.00 work boots last me a year its a miracle, if I can get 6 years of constant wearing out of a pair of $385.00 boots its a win win, especially when there made for my foot and fit like a glove, they are spendy, wait till you look at the prices at fugawee! and their 1/4 the quality of whites!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 02:30:08 AM »
I can appreciate that but sometimes a guy can only part with only so much $ at a time or do without.

Online BEAVERMAN

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 12:09:20 PM »
I can understand that pete! just stating some facts, hope ya find what your looking for, Beav
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 04:24:19 PM »
Pete mentioned the fact that his feet don't get along all that well with moccasions any longer, and this is something I can appreciate.

Back in my younger days, I loved 'em...I wore mooccasion type "Desert Boots"...with the fancy little concho on the side, and I wore them every where I went, for years....Of course I didn't wear 'em while on duty, but that was definately my off duty shoe.

Now, fast forward 30 years and you will see a fellow getting older, gaining weight, and needing more support in his footware.
My feet are a great deal more tender, they are also swollen a great deal of the time, and my ankles practically scream for some kind of support....

Brogans, or low cut boots, have been a blessing for this old boy for years now. I suspect brogans may be at least somewhat PC, depending on cut or style, but that is no longer important.
What is important is being able to get around safely, and without discomfort.
And, I personally feel absolutely safe in saying this trumps anything PC.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 04:27:39 PM »
Well put Uncle Russ!

Offline LightSeeker

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 09:17:28 PM »
Russ,
   I bought a set of brogans back when I was thinking of doing some CW reenacting, but it never came to pass.  I have found them to be a bit slick on grass- Suggestions?????
As the heat prepares the metal to bend, so does the Lord prepare those he loves....
LightSeeker
TMA #206 Exp 6/19/09

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 06:45:23 AM »
I've got it! You could attach football cleats to them!  :lol:
Actually, I wonder if hobnails and heel rims would help on grass?  I know that they are dangerous on concrete but they might act like cleats on grass.  Does anyone have any experience using them?
Here's what they look like:
http://missouribootandshoe.tripod.com/id7.html

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 08:34:57 AM »
As an expert in hobnails and heel plates....., does falling down alot make you an expert?...., anyway, hobnails are fine on most concrete, asphalt, and grass.  In fact they are better than slick soles in grass.  They will mess up hardwood floors, so most historic homes don't like you to have them on inside.  

Hobnails and heal plates are not so good on cobblestones, slippery rocks in steams, and SUCK ON LINOLEUM.  I mean they are like standing barefoot on a layer of hydrolic fluid on glass when using hobnails on linoleum.    

I also have a pair of colonial shoes with modern no slip soles added, and partial metal heal plates.  You still get the proper crunching noise in a military shoe, but you don't kamikazi so much when going into the supermarket as you do with hobnails.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.