Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Traditions Kentucky Pistol  (Read 538 times)

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
Traditions Kentucky Pistol
« on: July 05, 2009, 07:11:16 PM »
I'm finally getting around to assembling the pistol kit I got from Buffalo Bill's Shooting Store.  It is a .50 cal. Kentucky pistol from Traditions.  The thing came in a styrofoam box covered with plastic (see pic from their web site) and had no instructions.  I am assuming I put a finish on the entire stock before assembly, but, as a newbie to kit arms, I really don't know for sure; is that correct? (Edit: I found an online pdf that said to put the finish on after it was completely assembled)  Also, what should I use for a finish?  How many coats? (Edit: I found nothing in the pdf about what to use for a finish)

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I proceed.  Thanks in advance!

Thomas

Member #424

Offline FG1

• TMA Contributing Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 08:34:55 PM »
You will want to assemble it first starting with the barrel then the rest of parts to check for fit and function. Take notes before disassembly where and how much wood needs to be removed to slim it down like sides of forearm at muzzle behind cap and grip area to fit your hand and such. Then take it apart and file and sand as needed, raise grain with damp cloth and wait till dry , sand off whiskers with 320-400 paper . Alchohol stains are best in my opinion as they dont raise the grain again. Tru Oil is a good all around finish and is easy to apply .
This is the quick version , I think there is a tutorial in gunbuilding forum .
NRA Life Member

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 12:00:11 AM »
Thanks!  :shake
Member #424

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 06:09:16 AM »
If you use an alcohol stain,wet the wood with de-natrured alcohol so you can get an even finish without streakes or blotches. The stock is probably beech is is an unassumung type wood with fairly attractive grain and almost no figure. It will suck up thin stain. I've had no problem with the totally un-p.c. Minwax thinned with the natural stain(clear "stain" no pigment.) I personally like 1/2:1/2 special walnut and red mahogany followed by two thin coats of boiled linseed oil and then full strength. about 8-10 coats should do it. True oil is also good,faster finish just as good.
NRA life member
NMLRA