Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: preparing metal parts  (Read 508 times)

Offline JohnN

• TMA Forum Member
preparing metal parts
« on: December 10, 2010, 01:49:27 PM »
Just wondering how different people prepare metal parts for polishing. Especially interested in how the fine lines are removed. Do you use straight or circular motions ? That kind of thing.
Member Number 606
Expires 01/23/2012

Offline Indiana

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 11:40:32 AM »
I polish things using sandpaper, working it down to continually finer and finer grits.  Make it as smooth as you can with a file, first, then just start with sand paper and keep working down.  Sand it in straight lines.  I usually get to around 600 grit and then buff it with 0000 steel wool and it comes out just plain gorgeous.  

What're you polishing?
"Damn the sword! When Virginia wanted a sword, I gave her one. Now she sends me a toy when I require bread!” -George Rogers Clark

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Re: preparing metal parts
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 12:41:05 PM »
Quote from: "JohnN"
Just wondering how different people prepare metal parts for polishing. Especially interested in how the fine lines are removed. Do you use straight or circular motions ? That kind of thing.

Hi John, Welcome to the forum.

Personally, when I am prepping anything metal that requires file and sand paper work, I always run the cutting in the same direction....and, like Indiana said, I get smaller and smaller, meaning less aggressive as I go down to 0000 steel-wool and even then I keep that in the same direction too, normally under a block just like sandpaper......I also finish dress metal with a piece of white scotch brite. The other colors are a bit courser and will sometimes scratch.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4