Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: loose barrel band  (Read 555 times)

Offline JohnN

• TMA Forum Member
loose barrel band
« on: January 23, 2011, 11:02:31 AM »
Am building a French musket that uses barrel bands. 2 of them do not use spring keepers. I took a little too much wood off and now the band nearest the lock is loose. I thought when I added the finish it would tighten it up a little but it hasn't. Is there a clear substance I could add that would build up and be sandable ? Thought about something like barrel bedding compound but would like something I could get at a local hardware store. Thanks.
Member Number 606
Expires 01/23/2012

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 12:28:03 PM »
I would try shrinking the band instead of fooling with the wood. Easier to disguise repair. ie, cut and reweld the band. Or apply epoxy to inside of band and sand to fit if you don't have welding option. Jewelers resize rings up and down all the time, ask a smith here how to. Good luck, regards GH.
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 01:24:24 PM »
How about soft soldering shim material on the inside of band?
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline 2 Locks

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.MultiLakes.com
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 01:56:10 PM »
I you go with the epoxy method, sand & deeply scratch the inside of the barrel band to get good adhesion.  Don't use a thickener or the repair will be more visible. It builds up fairly quickly, but lightly sand between coats. Use cheap disposable brushes. Don't sand the last coat (or add one last very thin coat if you had to sand to fit), this should give you a more "invisible" repair.
Dave Leonard
Member #429 Expires 4/15/14

Offline Firewalker

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 01:56:32 PM »
Just a thought, I'm not real familiar with that arm, but could you drill a minute hole, 1/16" through it and pin it in place? I guess that wouldn't work if its wobble loose.
Firewalker aka Bob
TMA Charter Member #137

"Life doesn't come with a guarantee; eat your desert first." D. Kelman

Offline JohnN

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 03:02:50 PM »
I had originally thought of adding a shim (22gauge steel) to the whole band where it contacts the wood. That was too much so I made 2  pieces that would go on each side (and not the bottom) of the band. Still too much so I tried just 1 and that fit. So I took ridjrunr's advice and soldered it in. Looks like it will work just fine. May have to do some fine filing and sanding. Thanks for all the ideas.
Member Number 606
Expires 01/23/2012