Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Lock wobbly in mortice  (Read 536 times)

Offline KHickam

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.bootleatherllew.com
Lock wobbly in mortice
« on: May 01, 2012, 01:04:48 PM »
I have had this smoothbore since 07 and believe me we have had our quirks to work out - bending the barrel included

I just finished coming down from NM and the lock in the mortice is very wobbly now (concerns me since I will be living up there) - if I tighten the single lock bolt to where the lock does not wobble in the mortice then the gun will not hold half cock or even sometimes positively engage the full cock notch - and this is a new problem.

What should I do?
"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it."  Bear Claw Chris Lapp

TMA Member #641 Expires 09/11/2012

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Lock wobbly in mortice
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 02:39:49 PM »
I'd clean the mortice where the plate touches around the edges,scrape and de-natured alcohol,poke a couple of holeson that edge,roll thin ribbon's of "Quick wood" a tube of 2 part epoxy that you cut a slice off of,nead together untill a uniform color,grease the lock plate,press the epoxy putty into the edge,making sure the putty gets into the little holes,then press the plate into the mortice,install the screw and just finger tighten it,then let it set untill the putty set's up and then some. if any squishes out you can remove the excess with a putty knife,then run a rag with de-natured around the plate before it sets up. That will cure the issue.
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Lock wobbly in mortice
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 01:22:45 PM »
KH; i'd say Path is on the right path here, no pun intended. But i wouldn't do it until you've settled in NM for a few months to let everything neutralize.
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016