Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Here's my next project. What's yours?  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Woodys50Cal

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Here's my next project. What's yours?
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2016, 12:56:17 PM »
Quote from: "Eric Krewson"
A-D designates how big a barrel is, this is for swamped (tapered and flared barrels). An A weight might be 3/4" at the breech, a D weight might be 1 1/8" at the breech.

An A weight barrel is slender with a .40 cal as big as you can get in this configuration, B weight would go to .54, C weight to .58 and D weight to for big bore stuff like 10 or 12 ga, or large rifled bores.

The style of gun you build will determine what lock is right for it, for instance,  a Lancaster style gun will have a Germanic lock like a Siler most of the time. A southern rifle will have an English lock similar to a late Ketland most of the time.

Of course lock styles intermix on the originals but they do tend to go one way or the other most off the time.

THANK YOU. I knew I was in the right spot.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2016, 02:33:54 PM »
In the way of an example, I have a .40 and a .50 with swamped barrels.  Both are "B" weight and so the .50 is, of course lighter.  I also have a .32 with an "A" weight barrel.  The tiny hole works well in a lighter barrel.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline One Shot

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2016, 01:46:32 AM »
Very beautiful pieces of work...Congrats
Semper Fi
The Few The Proud

Offline Eric Krewson

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2016, 10:52:37 AM »
I stopped gun building for a major shop clean-up and remodel.  I had accumulated so much "stuff" I couldn't walk through my shop with out stepping over stuff.

I burned, threw away, sold, made shelves for things and generally put stuff up where it belonged.

Done!

Offline 509thsfs

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2016, 12:18:15 PM »
Eric, that is my next project after I finish my current Bedford Co. build.  The wife has taken an interest in doing some woodworking. So now I need to reconfigure my little workshop into something with room that will handle both of our projects.  On the upside, I'm acquiring some new equipment to "make it easier for her" to do what she wants to do. That got the bandsaw, with a planer in the near future. Possibly a dust filter too ;)

Offline Eric Krewson

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2016, 12:35:48 PM »
I have a 2hp Griz dust collector. It is so loud running I have it in the adjacent room with piping run through the wall and installed a wireless remote starting switch for it. I couldn't run my wood working tools without it, the dust would be overwhelming.

Offline 509thsfs

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2016, 07:35:56 PM »
I have a small exhaust fan I put in a few years ago. works fine for fumes when staining and such. But with running the table saw a lot more than I used to, we're getting hammered with dust.  I did buy a small dust collector that hooks up to my shop vac and saw, etc.., works fine on the bandsaw, but have not tried the table saw yet.  We know we will still need more. a very small basement shop, so looking at a Rikon 3 Speed Air Cleaner, 400 CFM from Woodcraft, should work fine for us

This is about a third of the shop (shop is about 30'x10'). Bandsaw, table saw, and router I set up just behind his view. the last third of the shop is my load bench and some storage cabinets  

Offline 509thsfs

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2016, 03:36:18 PM »
Current project. Bedford Co. in .50 cal.  This is only my 2nd build.  Shaping and sanding now. A lot of work in the lock area yet.  Once that is all done I can get to work on the inlays.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2016, 04:02:20 PM »
In my horn shop, I found that a LOT of dust was created with my belt sander (2 x 72).  That was the major source of problems, although the wood lathe did generate a lot of wood on the floor.
I built a containment box around the sanding belt and hooked it up to the shop vac, which worked really good, but I found I had to clean the filter at lease daily, if not more often.  I then hooked up a little Cyclone between the vac and the sander and life is really good.  About once a month, I clean the filter as part of monthly maintenance and dump the junk out of the Cyclone tank.  That's it.  Personally, I think it is a lot better than any other dust control that I have used.
In my shop in Idaho, I had two sheds placed about 4' apart, the shed on the left was the "clean" shed and the one on the right was where I did all the sanding.  I built a manifold system between the two shed and had a 750 cfm fan drawing dust out of various areas of the shops.  Then I also had a Shopsmith dust collector in the sanding room hooked up to the belt sanders.  It was ducted to the dust collection system and vented outside as well.  I think the shop vac with the Cyclone worked better than that.  No doubt.

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2016, 04:02:07 PM »
A little progress on my Lancaster rifle.  After my first order for a plank of sugar maple fell through, I finally got a nice plank of black maple.  Gave it and my lock and barrel to my favorite rifle builder and he showed me this last Sunday.  He has the barrel inlet, the ramrod hole drilled, and some profiling started.

The photos don't show the curl real well, but it looks to be the making of a nice stock.

Steve Sells

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2016, 04:04:30 PM »
A couple of more pics.

Steve Sells

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2016, 06:34:38 AM »
That's some good lookn figur in that wood.Just wate till ya get her all shaped up and oiled.What stain are ya going to go with?I realy like Lancaster rifles,there lines are so graceful.
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247