Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Winter projects  (Read 3149 times)

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
Re: Winter projects
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2020, 05:31:48 PM »
I've mostly been using an alcohol stain (LMF) and tung oil (semi gloss).
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2020, 06:47:50 PM »
unless an "oil" contains resins, it'll never cure ... not ever.  the worst of the lot, at least for me, has been tung oil.  the raw stuff stays gummy forever.  the ones that have resins added, such as the min-wax tung oil flavor, will still take days or maybe weeks to fully gas off, lots depends on the ambient air temp and humidity.  LMF's permalyn is pure synthetic and cures overnight, or lots sooner.  tru-oil is an oil base with resins and light wipes cure overnight for the most part, and has more of an amber translucence that i prefer.  min-wax fast drying wipe on polyu cures overnight, good stuff, and is quite clear when cured. 

all this means is that there are finishes that never cure or cure very slow, and finishes that cure faster, and some are not so durable and some are more durable.  choose wisely, but for the most part it'll be a gamble of sorts.  this is why i've settled on tru-oil for a fast curing durable finish.  no, it's not "period/era correct", but it's close enuf and will cure, unlike raw linseed or tung oils that never cure.

as to staining the wood, i used LMF for many years and only recently switched to kibler's aqua-fortis because it's easy, fast, controllable, and is quite "period/era correct" :)   

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2020, 08:12:50 PM »
I've got three coats of sealer on so need to decide on a finish. I understand about oils not drying, but at the same time,plenty of people use it successfully. The range of product is like patch lube😂. I was at home depot ready tung oil cans, Formbys Tung Oil Finish doesnt have any tung oil in it ::) but it dries and its called tung oil. Watco is a blend (24 hr cure) I think but they also have a couple diferent versions on the website. Rockler looks like they they have pure tung oil so one would have to add a dryer.
Im about ready to buy some shellac flakes and mix that up, that would be period correct and tough,but thats spendy.

Hank, what kind of tung have you used? Any input appreciated.

HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2020, 10:15:56 PM »
Well, it looks like I stand corrected. I've been using Formbys semi gloss for years. I never realized it didn't have tung oil in it. I never cared for polys. They look plastic. I've always mixed the Formbys with a little thinner for the first coat and just keep slopping it on until the wood won't absorb any more. Then wipe it off with a rag and get in all the crevices with a dry paint brush so there won't be a lot of build up and let it dry. The rest of the coats are applied by dipping my finger tip in the oil and rubbing it in vigorously. It takes a while but it gives the wood a nice warm and soft look. I like the look. Hope all that rambling makes sense.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2020, 10:20:54 PM »
Hope all that rambling makes sense.

Ramble on Hank!   :laffing :luff: :lol sign

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2020, 10:50:55 PM »
Hank, There many, many products that are probably going to give excellent results. I just read its one of two things, pure tung oil or tung oil finish. Basically tung oil finish, whatever the brand, is a combination of ingredients while pure is pure but really doesnt “dry”.
I’ve got three coats and im sayin its covered completely.
 While its hardening, Im just reading trying to decided what to put on for a final and if I should take 0000 to it before I put on a final.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21