Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Have some silver wire inlay questions...  (Read 815 times)

Offline Indiana

• TMA Forum Member
Have some silver wire inlay questions...
« on: September 03, 2008, 01:19:12 PM »
OK, I am taking John Schippers class on silver wire inlay at Conner Prarie next month and have some questions before I go.  I've never even tried wire inlay, so this will be new to me, but I hope it will really enhance the quality and appearance of my builds.  

First off, I need to find some .999 Fine Silver Cloisonne Strip, Dead Soft, .060" x .005".  It should be availible from Rio Grande, but it is out of stock.  I am going to email them and see when it will be back in stock, but I was wondering where you all got your wire for inlay?

I am also wondering if you have any advice or tips for me so I at least have some idea of what they are talking about in there.  What are some terms used, etc?  Are there any good books on wire inlay/wire inlay designs/etc?

Other than that, what tools will I really need?  I have a list of tools to bring, but what are your preferred tools to use?

Thanks a lot guys! :)
"Damn the sword! When Virginia wanted a sword, I gave her one. Now she sends me a toy when I require bread!” -George Rogers Clark

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 02:29:05 PM »
Patrick, google up silver wire inlay, there are several tutorials out there by Mike Brooks and others with pictures, I believe we have a tutorial by wyosmith in this section and if you go to the americanlongrifles.com site theres also some tutorials and discussions over there, hope this helps.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 04:03:04 PM »
Indians try this link, unless you have already checked it out. Good pictures and clear information along with other tutorials.

http://www.davidpriceflintlocks.com/id22.html

I am sure our own wyosmith, or captchee will be along anytime with some quality advice as well.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 06:24:43 PM »
Does Rio Grande have a web site?
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline tall bear

• TMA Forum Member
Have some silver wire inlay questions...
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 11:33:36 AM »
Indiana
I am currently making a new set of tools for silver inlay for a New England gun I am making.There are many methods but I learned this from Wallace Gusler and Gary Brumfield so its pretty good I think!!The tools below are not quite finished but you get the idea.They are made from cheap home depot screwdrivers.The first step is to draw your design.The two tools on the right are used to stamp in that design in creating a slot to insert the wire into(smaller tools for tighter radius's).The tools are lense shaped so the don't create square corners and work around curves.The two tools on the left are flat on the botton with a depth stop .The depth stop is set using the width of your wire.After using the tools on the right you go back over the design with the tools on the left to set the depth with a nice flat bottom.The wire is then inserted into the slot that you've made and the wood is wet to close the slot on the wire.It's a good idea to put some barbs on the wire.This can be done by putting the wire in a vice and tapping a chisel on the bottom side of the wire perpedicular to the wire itself.You wet the stock after you put in each wire not after all the wire is  done.If you have trouble finding your wire try this company This is where Iget all my silver
http://www.metalliferous.com/silver.php.

Mitch
Code: [Select]
TMA Charter Member #30 7/1/09