Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

production trade guns

<< < (5/5)

Mitch:
if you shoot regular with a smoothbore(mine is  a 20g), you should be able to put all your shots on a paper plate at 75yds...practice a bit more and you'll be able to do that at 100yds...also this is from a rest or sitting position...you may be able to hit the plate fairly regular off-hand at 75yd, off-hand at 100yd maybe 3 of 5 shots....bottom line, shoot a lot, shoot regular, and shoot in all conditions/positions PRIOR to trying to hunt with a smoothie...

burch:
So what about having a smooth bore drop in barrel made for my GPR. Who does that sort of thing ?

Captchee:
well you work up a load and  a smoothy will shoot  real well .

i showed a couple targets  last fall  on a type D that i just finished for a fella

he printed those  his first time out  AND first time with a flintlock

http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.org/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=8959

burch:

--- Quote from: "Captchee" ---well you work up a load and  a smoothy will shoot  real well .

i showed a couple targets  last fall  on a type D that i just finished for a fella

he printed those  his first time out  AND first time with a flintlock

http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.org/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=8959
--- End quote ---

I saw that and was trully impressed with how accurate you can get with a smooth bore.

tg:
Smooth bores are fun and can be pretty accurate with practice and working up a good load, most who try them get hooked from what I have seen, I just don't see them as a logical choice if a lot of your shot oppertunities are in the 100 yds range, but no one says you have to shoot at every deer you see, if you get a .58 rifle and work up a load for one of those modern bullets some folks like so much and add a spendy peep to the outfit you are likley to see deer out of the range of that rig as well. This hapens with anything you hunt with, it is kind of funny at times when we want a gun that will shoot out to 100 yds because a smaller bore is best at 50yds or so.    
You are still going to see deer that are out of your range, I have come to the point that I just figure shooting out to 50yds, one gun will easily do better the other probably would also, but if i don't kill the first deer I see I can hunt some more the next day

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version