Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Hawken Twist  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Hawken Twist
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2014, 01:26:26 PM »
how far elk will go with a RB depends .
 Even if you place the shot   right on the money so it takes out the hart and  both lungs , if it’s a bull and he is cranked up , your going to be surprised at how far they can make it . Has 0 to do with the 50 cal ball but the animal itself . I have personally seen bulls  make it hundreds of yards with no lungs and no hart  even after repeated hits to the shoulder with a 300 WB magnum . I personally back in my center fire days , had a small4x5  bull take 5 rounds. It was in the Rutt  and up on the hells canyon rim . My first shot was a 170 yards  broad side and up hill . He  standing with a group of cows . He dropped like a rock . But got up . I hit him again . He staggered forward . Got his footing. Looked down hill at my partner and I  and headed right  for us  like he had never been hit . I fired 3 more times  head on  square to the chest . The last round  plowed him in at around 35 yards .
 I began to reload  and was looking down when I heard David say  DAM hes getting up!!!
 David dint have a rifle on that day as he had taken a nice 6X6 the day before and  thus just has his 1911 . I remember yelling , Im out , im out  and hearing dave  start popping off with the 45 . When I looked up the Bull was heading up hill . I tried to drop the cross hairs on him but he had already made the top of the rim .
  LMAO I remember looking at dave and both of us at the same time saying HOLLY SH@#!!!! took us a good 15 minutes just to get to where we saw him  disappear. We found him anther 100 yards  further down the ridge line  and he still tried to get up when I walked up to him .  He took two rounds 3 inchs apart through the right shoulder  and exiting just forward of the  left .  3 rounds to the chest in a 2 inch group  just above the hart . The hole was literally big enough  you could put your fist in it ..

When I started muzzle loading , I had a 50 . But my first bull , a 6X6 was at 25 yards . He wasn’t with cows  but had came in quite .  Shot was  just behind the left shoulder  right through the hart . He dropped near instantly . On average though with the 50 , as long as they  were not  all fired up ,  both cows and bulls would act much the same in that they would spin and  trout off  some  . Normally as long as you don’t jump up and try to run after them , they go a 30-50 yards and stop to check their back trail . that’s close to where you find them . I  have had a couple go farther  in the 100-150 yard range  when shot close . But  they also were in a herd . That seems to carry them as  even mortally wounded they try to stay in the herd .   Know that a large bull  often wont . He will a lot of times split off  and  follow along one side or another . If that happens don’t rush it . Either listen or  quickly get to a spot where you can see the herd path . What that lead cow . She is the boss not the bull . Done go  after the herd , just stay back , watch and listen .

Cows for the most part don’t go far . They just don’t have the energy bull so 30-50 yards with a 50 cal and you will do fine as long as you place your shot .

As I said my wife uses a 50 and  for the most part  the cows and spikes she takes don’t normally get more then 100 yards with a proper RB shot . don’t try and plow through the shoulder like with a center fire . Shootem just like you would with a bow. IE  broad side angling slightly away so that the ball goes up through the hart and lungs .  If you get to far forward with a cow  and hit the shoulder , normaly there isn’t much worry . But with a bull , their shoulders and muscle up there are much heavier  but at very close range  that shot will work with a 50 as well . Just not as desirable IMO  as going behind the shoulder .

I use a 54 cal  and frankly I see little difference in the outcome  on cows  when using a RB  .   I have taken a couple with a 62 cal and  there is a big difference. At close range they are pretty much done .  Not much different then a good close shot on a deer .
 Never have taken a bull with a 62  and I have never owned a 58 so can say .

But a word of advice . You hit a big bull that’s in Rutt ,  be real careful when you walk up on him  even if he drops right in his tracks .  just as you would walking up on a big angus bull  out in a field .  Some times its no different then walking up on a deer . But other times ,,, well you have seen the cartoon of the  crane trying to swallow the frog and the frog has his hand around the cranes neck, squeezing for all he’s got  even though his head is down the cranes throat.. The caption reads never give up !!! .
 Well now  that the deed isn’t done tell its done  so make sure your guns loaded when you walk up there .

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2014, 01:43:23 PM »
Thanks for taking the time Cap. I feel I need to give you some history of my hunting.

I've hunted for Colorado Elk for over 60 years. I'm not the type to brag about numbers, but i've killed a lot over the years. Until getting into muzzleloaders I only used a Winchester 94 in 30-30. My style of hunting is still hunting the dark timber. My shots are always under 100yds, but closer to 50yds is closer to my average. When I was younger I didn't really care where they ran off to. I would bring them out of anywhere. Not the case anymore. At 71 years old i'm very concerned about where they finally pile up. I've only killed one elk with a muzzleloader. It was a large cow at 70-80 yds with a .54 PRB. She went a little over 100yds.

I'm trying to not limit where I hunt, because i'm worried about where the elk will run off to. I have some very good spots for elk, but they have some ares that I really don't want the elk to run in to.

My heart wants me to use a PRB. My mind wants a big hunk of lead like the NoExcuses. It's a constant struggle with myself.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017
Keep your nose in the wind.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2014, 06:58:44 PM »
i to have used the 30.30 for elk . enough that i like it . IMO your going to see about the same results with the 50 cal