Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Oldies but goodies  (Read 613 times)

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Oldies but goodies
« on: February 02, 2020, 12:08:47 PM »
I was going through some stuff yesterday and found these items.  Thought I would share.

First thing, an old jar of Lube103.  I am thinking it was somewhere around 1986 or so.  The price tag reads $2.45.

Next thing is a box of T/C Maxi Balls.  I think this would have been about 1970 or 1971.  These were unlubed bullets.  The first box I bought was shot up pretty quickly and the second box (this one) I only shot a few out of.  Then I discovered the joys of PRB and never went back for the rest.

Here is a powder measure I made for my 8 bore double rifle.  It throws a 300 grain charge of Fg powder.

For comparison, here it is pictured with a Doc Haddaway Adjustable 120 grain Measure.  That comes out of the early 1970's itself.

And finally, here is another photo of the 300 grain measure along with a .820 diameter round ball, with a .530 ball for comparison.

Well, that's about it for this time.  You never know what other stuff I am liable to dig up.  Thanks for looking.

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Oldies but goodies
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 01:35:39 PM »
John, it's a wonder you have a shoulder left!

300 grains of 1fg and a .820 ball... Why I'd be in the next county after firing that off!  :o  :bow :toast
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 04:31:28 PM »
Nah, Joe, the recoil wasn't all that bad, but I will admit to being moved back a step once.  I let a fellow shoot it one time and it did spin him around about 180 degrees.  Good thing he didn't have cowboy boots on, he might have dug right into the ground.  I think it was about a 15 pound rifle, so that helped quite a bit on the felt recoil.  IIRC, the ball weighed about 860 grains.
With 300 grains of Fg, the ball left the barrel at about 1,450 fps.  With 300 grains of Ffg, it was 1,550 and with 300 grains of Pyrodex Select, it was about 1,625.  I asked Chris Hodgdon why Pyrodex did so good, and he replied that I was the expert on big bore guns, no one at his place was about to shoot anything that big.  Gee thanks.  That didn't quite answer my question.
That was really good fun, shooting those big boomers.  Sorry to say, at this point, it is definitely something out of my past, as all my big rifles have gone on to others.  Hope they enjoy them as much as I did.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 05:36:03 PM »

300 grains of 1fg and a .820 ball... Why I'd be in the next county after firing that off!  :o  :bow :toast

Why Joe? Is that where the hospital is? :luff:
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 07:09:28 PM »

Why Joe? Is that where the hospital is? :luff:

:lol sign Not to far from it, if I get my recoil angle just right before touching 'er off...  :applaud
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 07:49:57 PM »
...  with 300 grains of Pyrodex Select, it was about 1,625.  I asked Chris Hodgdon why Pyrodex did so good, and he replied that I was the expert on big bore guns, no one at his place was about to shoot anything that big.  Gee thanks.  That didn't quite answer my question....

well, for starters, there is a "compromise ratio" to consider between real black powder the stuff that thinks it's black powder, but ain't. 

so, 300 grains of 1f to 3f can't be substituted with an equal 300 grains of that pyrodex cr@p.  there's a general "30% rule" for those smokeless substitute powders, which means the pyrodex equivalent to load would have been more like a tad over 200 grains.  yer lucky to be alive.

i understand the real issue about not using black powder these dayze.  i get it.  it's a lack of local availability that forces mail order, where small quantities of the holy black will incur a higher price tag, and shipping fees, and hazmat fees.  but really, if yer attempting to reenact and/or experience what those intrepid souls of those bygone dayze experienced with the guns of the 18th and 19th centuries, you should do it right.

“Smell that? You smell that? Black powder, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of black powder in the morning ..... "

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 11:43:16 AM »
WOW! Thanks for sharing. I had no idea that bp rifles could go up to that caliber...I would love to see someone shoot a monster like that...and "see" is the operative word... :lol sign
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 12:34:08 PM »
Ray, you should have seen the 4 bore.  It is about a 1.05" bore.  Of course, that is kind of speculative.  Many guns were called 4 bores, even though the bore size was well undersized.  Turner Kirkland double 4 comes to mind.  It was really about a 6 bore, but when they are that big, why quibble.

I went to a big black powder show several years ago, and a fellow had a 2 bore hanging up (1 5/16" bore).  It was kind of pointing my direction.  What a sensation, looking down that bore all weekend.  I really wanted that rifle, but by the end of the show, common sense took a hold of me and I didn't buy it.  I could handle the 400 grain charge of Fg powder that the 4 bore seemed to like, but rumors of people using 550 grains in the 2 bore was a little more than even I could handle.

Ray, if you should ever have a chance to shoot one of these big monsters, take advantage of it.  It'll change your life.

John

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 07:53:07 AM »
Thanks for the story. I had no idea. I can remember seeing some "old duck guns" when I lived on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. I remember they were huge caplocks. But, I don't recollect ever hearing their bore. Now, I would love to get one up close.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Spotted Bull

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 08:09:33 AM »
Ray, check out this feller's creations. His last name is Stolzer and he used to hang out here on occasion I believe. He makes a lot of really big bore rifles.

https://www.stolzergunsmithing.com/

Here is the one that I wanted. When we did another shooting ministry and handled the black powder shooting, we would occasionally get these big tough guys that would say, "I want to shoot one that will kick." We had an inline (yeah I know, but it was someone's donation) that I would load with 150 grains and a PRB. I would love to have pulled this double barrel 2-bore out and loaded it up for them!

https://www.stolzergunsmithing.com/2boredoublerifle.htm