Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: needing advice for a small cal flint lock  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
needing advice for a small cal flint lock
« on: November 18, 2014, 08:53:33 AM »
Im wanting to get a flint lock that i can squirrel hunt with... 32 cal or 36...

Does anyone know of a good builder kit in either of these calibers thats good quality, accurate rifle in the end? I tried looking online a few places, but then i read about quality control issues in some of the brands, like traditions. I think the Lyman kits are more in my price range, but having a hard time finding a flint 32 or 36, only percussion.  I see that there is some debate among small game hunters on which is better, im still reading others opinions about it, have not made up my mind, and would love to hear some more. But so far im leaning to the 32.

although i've never shot a set trigger setup, most all the 32's ive seen have them, presumably for accuracy? Some ive seen didnt have them, but does this make them less potential for being accurate?

Only other muzzleloader i own is a cva bobcat .54, which i love, and was surprised with its accuracy, especially after buying it with all the fixings for 85 bucks last year.

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
Re: needing advice for a small cal flint lock
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 09:03:40 AM »
Im not dead set on a kit either, but i figure thats about the only way i will find one in a price i can afford. Not sure of my chances of coming across one that is used. you never see these in pawn shops around here.

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 715
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 11:56:29 AM »
What kind or style of gun you looking for ?  Sometimes those little fellas come up on gunbroker or other sites...Tom
Member#2184, 11-1-'12

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 12:04:09 PM »
Quote from: "gunmaker"
What kind or style of gun you looking for ?  Sometimes those little fellas come up on gunbroker or other sites...Tom

im still so brand new, i wouldnt know one from the other.   just something more hunter oriented, not target.

yeah, you ever tried gunwatcherDotcom? pretty handy sometimes, just gotta play with the filters to narrow down the results.

as far as styles, i have no idea....if its not more than aesthetics, i'd just want to be as practical as possible.

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 12:21:08 PM »
Well one like this is pretty handy.  .32 cal. X 36" 13/16" barrel, TC lock maple wood.  all brass trim in Indiana/Ohio style.  Or a longer one if you like 40"-44" barrels...Tom

you can click to see it made.
Member#2184, 11-1-'12

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 12:46:02 PM »
the style i get will probably have more to do with pricing, and availability, haha.

that is one beautiful gun. would be proud to eat a mess of squirrels taken with that.

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 01:31:48 PM »
Whats your price range ?
Member#2184, 11-1-'12

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 01:35:27 PM »
Around 550 or so,  I could almost double that if I could sell an old ww2 unertl scope I have.  I really wanna try my best to get the best quality gun I can so I will be more apt to stick with it.

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 09:11:26 PM »
You could sell the Unertl on EvilBay if you want to mess with them. The guys on the ASSRA site would be interested. Depending on the model and condition, you might MORE than double your budget. I've seen some go for over $1000.

ASSRA Forum - Index
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 08:05:58 AM »
Quote from: "Kermit"
You could sell the Unertl on EvilBay if you want to mess with them. The guys on the ASSRA site would be interested. Depending on the model and condition, you might MORE than double your budget. I've seen some go for over $1000.

ASSRA Forum - Index

thanks for the link, I will have to check it out.

i dont have a rare one, its a low serial number though, but its just a 1" target scope, 10x, fine cross hairs.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 12:17:43 PM »
You might also check with TVM (Matt Avance) for a high quality .32 made up to your specifications.  Another possibility would be to get one in-the-white which save $100 or so and it's a completed rifle that you apply stock and barrel finish.  These are custom guns so YOU tell Matt what you want.  Prices are quite reasonable.

Mike Lange would have been my first suggestion but, alas, he rarely builds nowadays.

This is my .36 TVM SMR; a real jewel.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline backwoodsdave

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 03:11:51 PM »
Six months ago I was in the same boat you are, I had a little cva squirrel rifle in .32 percussion and it was a sweet little gun, very small, seemed like a kids size gun but im a big guy, great gun though,  the traditions crockett is very nice, .32 and percussion only though I think, then I found a pedersoli frontier flint in .36 at a gun show, offered 300 for it and brought it home, really nice gun, sparks good and super accurate with only 20-25 grns. of 3f, now fast forward a little and I sold off some rifles I collected since the black powder bug hit and I get a chance to visit Tip Curtis and handle some different style rifles, I brought home a southern style .36 flinter and love it, handles great and lighter than the pedersoli, anyway point being I guess, .32 or .36, both cheap to shoot, accurate, head shots only on squirrel with either I would think, .36 maybe a littler heavier for bigger varmints, handle some rifles if you can and get an idea of what fits you and and go from there, im sure someone on the forum could fix you up or send you in the right direction for a good custom/semi custom rifle, I bought from tip because I was there and could handle so many rifles and ive read good things about him, lots of good builders out there, get what you want and enjoy it.

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 03:47:23 PM »
Quote from: "backwoodsdave"
Six months ago I was in the same boat you are, I had a little cva squirrel rifle in .32 percussion and it was a sweet little gun, very small, seemed like a kids size gun but im a big guy, great gun though,  the traditions crockett is very nice, .32 and percussion only though I think, then I found a pedersoli frontier flint in .36 at a gun show, offered 300 for it and brought it home, really nice gun, sparks good and super accurate with only 20-25 grns. of 3f, now fast forward a little and I sold off some rifles I collected since the black powder bug hit and I get a chance to visit Tip Curtis and handle some different style rifles, I brought home a southern style .36 flinter and love it, handles great and lighter than the pedersoli, anyway point being I guess, .32 or .36, both cheap to shoot, accurate, head shots only on squirrel with either I would think, .36 maybe a littler heavier for bigger varmints, handle some rifles if you can and get an idea of what fits you and and go from there, im sure someone on the forum could fix you up or send you in the right direction for a good custom/semi custom rifle, I bought from tip because I was there and could handle so many rifles and ive read good things about him, lots of good builders out there, get what you want and enjoy it.

yeah that sounds like a good idea....i did the same thing when i first starting shooting longbows...makes a big difference handling the different setups.

i also like the idea of getting one in "the white" like Hanshi mentioned...

Offline backwoodsdave

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 04:35:56 PM »
I looked at a thousand pics and read post after post and certainly learned a lot on all the forums and I thought I knew what I wanted until I got to handle some rifles, then I found the one I felt was built for me, I do have to say the the pedersoli frontier is a very nice rifle and if I hadn't raised the money for another rifle I would be happy with it, its served me well for squirrel and just plinking just fine.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 04:44:33 PM »
after having built a cva flintlock "kentucky" rifle kit back in the mid 70's, and having a second hand pedersoli "kentucky" flintlock, i went and ordered a tip curtis carolina flintlock last year.  wow.  i wasted a lotta time and money on flintlocks that were truly inferior to a longrifle made with top-of-the-line quality components, and assembled by someone who really KNOWS how to build a quality longrifle.  there are lotsa "tip curtis" longrifle expert craftsmen out there and even on this forum.  do yerself a favor, wait longer, save up yer dollars and get a Quality flintlock.  i bought mine with an unfinished stock and in-the-white and it turned out kinda nice - and to boot, it's a tack driver of a .45 caliber flintlock rifle.  what i'm saying isn't caliber or function specific, just apply it all to yer quest for a .32 rocklock.