Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: swiss black  (Read 653 times)

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
swiss black
« on: October 13, 2014, 07:24:15 PM »
i've been using goex 3f both down the tube and in the pan for the .45 flinter rifle.  

is swiss 3f roughly the same as goex 3f?

i use swiss 1-1/2f for .45-70 bpcr, anyone use that also for a .45 flintlock rifle?

i gotta put in an order to maine powder house tomorrow.

tia.

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
Re: swiss black
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 08:00:35 PM »
Quote from: "rfd"
is swiss 3f roughly the same as goex 3f?

rfd,
    I am a  poor one to ask,as I am a diehard Goex guy. I do know that
Swiss runs around $10 more per# than Goex.

snake-eyes   :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Ridge Runner

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #124
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member Expiration date; 03/20/2020
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 10:51:58 PM »
I use Swiss 2F in my 50 flintlock and Swiss 3F in my 44 cal cap & ball pistols.

Offline Ron T.

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 10:29:49 AM »
Swiss black powder is supposedly somewhat "cleaner" shooting and yields a somewhat high muzzle velocity than Goex according to what I've seen others write.

I've shot both Swiss and Goex FFFg in my older CVA .50 caliber caplock Hawken and noted that the Swiss does seem a bit "cleaner shooting"... but I've never chronographed any black powder loads.  However, the velocity tables do show a somewhat higher M.V. for Swiss as opposed to Goex.

Accuracy SEEMS to be about the same with either powder in my 3 black powder rifles although the winners of many of the shooting events at Friendship, Indiana's matches are listed as shooting Swiss black powder.

As to whether or not the Swiss is worth $8-$10 more per pound than Goex is questionable in my mind.  In fact, I'm in the midst of changing from shooting Swiss FFFg to shooting Goex FFFg strictly due to the cost of the two powders.  I haven't noticed all THAT much difference in shooting either powder.  The Goex seems to shoot with greater accuracy than I'm capable of shooting.

Jus' my 2¢...  :shake

Strength and Honor...

Ron T.
It's SMART to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa "stuff"...

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 02:13:38 PM »
I'm a Goex shooter, too.  Never have I burned any Swiss.  But from the information I've accumulated it appears Swiss is a high quality sporting powder that is milled more extensively than most others.  This has the effect of making Swiss "denser" than, say, Goex.  So if you normally use a 60 grain measure of Goex (by weight), that same measure will throw, maybe around 70 grains of Swiss (by weight).  That would account for most of the higher velocities reported for Swiss.  Since powder is packaged and sold by the pound, this would mean a pound of Swiss will give you fewer shots than a pound of Goex.  If you reduce the weight of the Swiss to WEIGH the same as a 60 grain measure of Goex then you'll get the same number of shots per pound and likely similar velocities, too.   Paying the higher cost for Swiss is not really justified if the velocity gain in rifles/guns is considered.  The extra cost, IMHO, is only justified if accuracy and consistency of Swiss are considered.

It's likely a different story in cap & ball revolvers.  In these handguns powder space is finite and once the max charge is loaded there's no room for more as in a long gun.  Being denser, Swiss is a clear winner in revolvers; you get a greater charge weight in the chambers for the same volume as other powders.  For shooters like me who must count pennies when buying powder, Goex's OE makes more sense.  It costs only a little more than standard Goex and much less than Swiss while providing similar results to Swiss.

If Swiss gives one an edge in competition then it is certainly worth the extra cost.  But basing the extra cost on a quest for higher velocities is being "penny wise" and "pound foolish"; or is it the other way around.  :idea
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 07:06:02 PM »
I understand a saying among competetive shooters--not folks clanging gongs, but those making close measurements of holes in paper--is that if you're not shooting Swiss, you're not trying to win.

When it comes down to pennies per shot more, and winning or not winning, the cost is not significant.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 01:04:46 AM by Kermit »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 07:19:16 PM »
Quote from: "Kermit"
I understand a saying among competetive shooters--not folks clanging gongs, but those making close measurements of holes in paper--is that if you're not shooting Swiss, you're not trying to win. ...

nope - the serious bpcr loooong range gongers almost all use swiss, and that's typically swiss 1-1/2f, as i use for my .45-70 rolling block.

Offline hilljack

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 05:47:20 PM »
The difference for me  is significant...I shot in Friendship 2002 to 2005 and the consistency of the Swiss was very marked...Most of the shooters I was participating with shot 40 cal with a couple shooting 45 cal and we averaged 50 to 60 grains of 3F and our velocity were 1900 to 2100 fps...And I saw many records set...I still use 3F in my 40s and I use 1 1/2 Swiss in my 50s and 62s...Cleaning is also easier with the Swiss....I believe that the quality of product is the main difference...Just my experience...Thanks for reading my opinions and thoughts...

YMHS
Hilljack

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 05:49:34 PM »
Quote from: "hilljack"
The difference for me  is significant...I shot in Friendship 2002 to 2005 and the consistency of the Swiss was very marked...Most of the shooters I was participating with shot 40 cal with a couple shooting 45 cal and we averaged 50 to 60 grains of 3F and our velocity were 1900 to 2100 fps...And I saw many records set...I still use 3F in my 40s and I use 1 1/2 Swiss in my 50s and 62s...Cleaning is also easier with the Swiss....I believe that the quality of product is the main difference...Just my experience...Thanks for reading my opinions and thoughts...

YMHS
Hilljack

good scoop, thanx sir.  have you tried swiss 1-1/2F in a .45?

Offline hilljack

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 07:24:40 PM »
You need to check how your rifle likes it...I use 3F Swiss up to and including a 50 Cal...You can really notice the difference Schutzen and Goex sort of has a booming sound and the Swiss has a pronounced crack...Also check your patches for condition...I use 1 1/2 in my 62 Cal...

YMHS
Hilljack

Offline weda'

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 09:57:48 PM »
Swiss 1.5f burns hotter than 2f Goex.  Per Chrono results in my 58 flinter was 160fps faster with a 120gr charge under a .526rb with mink oil lubed .020 pillow ticking patch.  I find it burns much cleaner, less fouling.  I am also able to use it as a priming charge, as to where 2f Goex can be finicky in humid weather.