Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: needing advice for a small cal flint lock  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
Re: needing advice for a small cal flint lock
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 09:54:47 PM »
Everyone has given good advice.  I only want to add two things.  First, here's another vote for waiting until you can afford a rifle with a high quality flint lock.  Trying to learn to shoot with a poor quality lock has turned more people away from flinters than anything else.  There's only so many times a gun can go "clack" or "pffft" instead of "BOOM" before you want to wrap it around a tree and go back to a nice reliable percussion...or cartridge...gun.  Shooting a good flinter is still a learning experience but once you master it you may wonder why you ever bothered with anything else.

Second, something you mentioned and nobody has addressed, is double-set triggers.  I love the darned things but they scare some people.  I adjust them down to about 1 lb or a less.  It doesn't matter if I'm shooting from the bench or looking to take the head off of a squirrel, I set the rear trigger as I bring the rifle to my shoulder and then let my finger just touch the front trigger as I aim.  The instant I have the sight picture I want, I twitch my trigger finger and the shot is on the way.  It takes a little getting used to but once mastered they are a great aid to accurate shooting.

Good Luck!
Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 10:02:54 PM »
i strongly second what storm sez about a double set trigger - i won't have anything less for ALL my rifles, from flintlock to sharps to rolling block.  and again i'll add - make it a Quality d/s trigger.

Offline Eric Krewson

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 11:20:27 AM »
If there is any way you can get to Tip's shop I highly recommend it, shouldering each rifle to find out what fits is a major plus. He is located above Nashville about 25 miles, at Cross Plains Tn.

Here is the inside of his shop, guns in the white and finished, any style, caliber or length of pull you can think of.

In my opinion, his rifles and fowlers are some of the best made among the semi custom builders plus you don't have to place an order and wait for your gun to be built.

An in the white gun will be about $1100 + or - at his shop, finished a few hundred more.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 08:16:41 AM by Eric Krewson »

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 12:33:34 PM »
I agree with Stormrider51 on the set triggers.  All mine are set to between 10 and 13 oz.  But I do have 3 with single triggers.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 07:43:27 AM »
Dogbite I have a 36 cal. flinter made by Jack Garner. It has a 42" barrel with Jack's signature on the top flat on the barrel.It has a brass acorn inlay on the wrist and a eagle on the cheekrest.Very nice mapel full stock with good figure in the wood and set trigers.
It shoots as good as it looks. I would sell it to you for 700.00 + 30.00 shipping.I pade 950.for it several years ago. I need to get a corn stove for my shop. So if your interested shoot me a PM and we will work it out.

Roaddog
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline backwoodsdave

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 09:41:50 AM »
Quote from: "Roaddog"
Dogbite I have a 36 cal. flinter made by Jack Garner. It has a 42" barrel with Jack's signature on the top flat on the barrel.It has a brass acorn inlay on the wrist and a eagle on the cheekrest.Very nice mapel full stock with good figure in the wood and set trigers.
It shoots as good as it looks. I would sell it to you for 700.00 + 30.00 shipping.I pade 950.for it several years ago. I need to get a corn stove for my shop. So if your interested shoot me a PM and we will work it out.

Roaddog
Wish I coulda run across some deals like this when I was looking, prob cant hardly buy the parts to build one for that.

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 11:05:00 PM »
Quote from: "Eric Krewson"
If there is any way you can get to Tip's shop I highly recommend it, shouldering each rifle to find out what fits is a major plus. He is located above Nashville about 25 miles, at Cross Plains Tn.

Here is the inside of his shop, guns in the white and finished, any style, caliber or length of pull you can think of.

In my opinion, his rifles and fowlers are some of the best made among the semi custom builders plus you don't have to place an order and wait for your gun to be built.

An in the white gun will be about $1100 + or - at his shop, finished a few hundred more.

Hey Eric, I will be flying in to Nashville Friday. May have some time to kill. I know it is Thanksgiving weekend and all, but is Tip's shop worth stopping in at even if a fella is not in the market ta buy nuthin?
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline backwoodsdave

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 12:27:14 AM »
Tips shop is a must if your in the area but I was there in oct. and he said he doesn't open it to the public anymore but if you call before hand he will meet with you, if you do catch him there be ready to stay awhile because he is a talker for sure but a wealth of information, he is a great guy in my book for sure, can't wait to go back.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 05:41:21 AM »
tip and tippy curtis ...

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 09:08:08 AM »
i wish i lived closer, i'd like to visit that collection.

Thanks for the offer Roaddog, really wish i could take you up on it.

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 05:59:45 AM »
You are very welcome Dogbyte.I hope you cume up with a good flinter you'll be happy with and get lots of squirles.Nuthin better than a good meal of limb backin. ;)
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline rickevans

• TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2014, 10:16:32 PM »
Dogbyte...I can recommend Joe Schell as a fine rifle builder as well. He recently put together a southern rifle from  TVM kit for a reasonable price. I love the .32.
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA